Which/Best sound for a Class 128 Diesel Parcels Unit

40034_Nick

• RMweb Premium

I originally fitted mine with a Howes sound chip. Sounded great but unsuitable for my short (8' long) end to end layout. Had it reblown by Charlie at DC Kits, sounds fine and better for my short layout.

Note that how the speaker is fitted makes a big difference. I got a second blue 128 very cheaply and had sound installed by Charlie. I then picked up a red 128 at a bargain price and transferred the sound chip and speaker from the blue unit to the red one. It is now far quieter and the sound quality poorer, due to me not making such a good job of fixing the speaker.

• RMweb Gold

Can see why that would be...the acceleration and gear changes on the Howes sound file are for gentle driving and it would not have much chance to get up to speed on a shorter layout. Is fine for linger run like abbotswood especially when it is taken off the speed curve to get up to speed instantly before entering the scenic section. A cracking model.....

And for those of us that prefer Zimo offerings, Pauliebanger does an excellent job, or via Digitrains.

I've just picked up an absolute bargain of a second Heljan 128 from Hattons, (was in their new shop to buy a 17 Clayton, and spotted a few bargains in the display cabinet, and couldn't resist!)

I find there's loads of room inside for speakers and stay-alives. I've used 2 x Zimo sugar cubes and it sounds great. A cube at each end black-tacked onto the side walls of the chassis opening, or the cream cover behind the cab.

Now just waiting for Paul to complete his revised class 128 sounds, can't wait!

Regards,

Alan.

Edited by bigal10

And for those of us that prefer Zimo offerings, Pauliebanger does an excellent job, or via Digitrains.

I've just picked up an absolute bargain of a second Heljan 128 from Hattons, (was in their new shop to buy a 17 Clayton, and spotted a few bargains in the display cabinet, and couldn't resist!)

I find there's loads of room inside for speakers and stay-alives. I've used 2 x Zimo sugar cubes and it sounds great. A cube at each end black-tacked onto the side walls of the chassis opening, or the cream cover behind the cab.

Regards,

Alan.

Thanks all... 

I ordered the DigiTrains one... 

• Like 1

Good man, Nick!

A word or 2 about handling, if you haven't already taken ANY Heljan apart....

Be VERY careful taking the body shell off, otherwise you (me!) can flirt the exhaust pipes off, and/or break the delicate pipework and other fittings under the chassis.

I found that inserting a few small loyalty cards (RAC or B&Q key fob types) at the points where the lugs are on the body, - there are small square slots in the chassis just behind the cab doors, helps with prising the body off. Start with the cab away from the exhausts, and rotate the body away from where the exhausts are!

Oh, and by the way, Paul's excellent forum postings about Swiss Mapping have helped me with such things as mapping the cab lighting to an F key, having directional cab lights, and auto-extinguishing cab lights!

And also soft on/off of headcode/tail lights on swapping ends!

Magic!

Good luck!

Alan

Bear in mind all the available soundchips use soundfiles derived from BUT engine units (not sure if they're Leyland or AEC) whereas the 128s were Albion engines. They were quite distinct, the Albion had a much throatier sound than the AEC/ Leylands but with no surviving Albions, its as good as your going to get.

• 3 years later...
On 25/01/2017 at 08:38, bigal10 said:

Regards,

Alan.

Alan,

When you say the side walls of the chassis opening, I am trying to work out exactly where you mean. I have one of these ready to have sound fitted, so any advice much appreciated.

Regards

Steve

• RMweb Gold
On 25/01/2017 at 15:27, bigal10 said:

Be VERY careful taking the body shell off, otherwise you (me!) can flirt the exhaust pipes off, and/or break the delicate pipework and other fittings under the chassis.

My 128 arrived from Rails, secondhand via ebay. A number of bits, clearly in place in the advert photo, were now loose in the packaging. Most puzzlingly, the central end section of the whiskers was on, but unlike the photo, was upside down! As it had had a decoder fitted I have never dared take the body off, merely changing the address from 93 to 5593. The magnificent haulage properties make this a great model.