Southwell - a layout under the bed

This looks good with a very high standard of modeling, your ballasting alone is outstanding and you seemed to have made the best use of the space you have giving yourself the chance for a bit of shunting without it looking overcrowded. Well done very much enjoyed looking at it.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for all the kind comments - made up for toasting a decoder the other day! Whoever invented the split chassis has a lot to answer for.

Anyway, posting the layout on here got my mind going in terms of what else there is to do on it. 

The one thing i've always thought was a shame was the low side walls, which are necessary for it to be packed away under the bed but always seemed to spoil the look of it. 

post-29930-0-82752400-1487784290_thumb.jpg

I read an article about using magnetic fasteners to hold on a back scene (in case a loco decides to hop the track behind the scenes and you have to retrieve it). Anyway, it gave me an idea and today, whilst getting some stuff for tiling the kitchen I saw my opportunity and picked up a sheet of 6mm MDF - after waving a saw around a bit I ended up with these two strips

post-29930-0-40707800-1487784264_thumb.jpg

Next, I attached a small hinge to the middle to allow it to be folded away and then screwed a couple of cupboard magnets to either end (staggered so they wouldn't get in the way when it was folded up). The last job was to attach the metal plate to the layout.

post-29930-0-76452400-1487784583_thumb.jpg

post-29930-0-43852500-1487784594_thumb.jpg

So there you have it! Next job is obviously to put something on it. I was thinking of painting it rather than sticking a photograph to it, but could be persuaded either way. I'd like to make the obvious join in the middle a bit less prominent and was thinking of making it the edge of a building or something similar but any suggestions gratefully received! 

Edited by Southwell
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Turns out making a convincing looking back scene is harder than I thought so getting that finished is on the back burner for the mo.

Instead I decided to have a crack at lineside cabling and point rodding - two things I should definitely have thought about before I ballasted as I'm now faced with chipping away at jobs I thought I was done with! Live and learn and all that.

I ordered one of the Wills kits and it goes together well, if a bit fiddly - the only issue was that it became very apparent I'd need a couple more to get the job done which have just arrived in the post.

Here's what I've got done so far, which now needs adding to and painting.

post-29930-0-91987400-1490007678_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Got a bit further with this today - particularly pleased with the concrete trunking which are made from cut up leftovers from the card kit I made the platforms from. Think before the mainline bits of the layout looked too pristine and reckon they're looking more convincing now

post-29930-0-95127100-1490031595_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• 6 months later...

Now that my summer of attempting to play cricket has ended I'm back into the swing of things with Southwell (I couldn't possibly have both cricket and trains going on at the same time, I'd get nothing else done!).

Having got the layout set up it became clear that, whilst stored away for the summer, something had gone wrong with the lighting - it's incredible how these things can happen when something's just stored away! Anyway half an hour with a multimeter showed a short around one of the lamps and it all sprang back into life. 

So, what to work on? I could actually finish the back scene (still blank) or maybe finish off the point rodding and cable trunking (still half done). 

Of course I did none of those sensible jobs, instead I got cracking on something that I'd been mulling over during long summer days stood in a field watching men hit balls around - a shed. One of the downsides of Southwell is the only way to remove a loco from the layout is for it to run off onto the mainline - not ideal for things like shunters if I decide to turn them around or just swap them with something else - if I had a shed they could just disappear into there.

There was obviously no space to add new track to the layout but I'd modelled some shed doors for one end of the inglenook sidings so thought if I could carefully take them off and cut a hole through the plywood behind then maybe I could add a little extension onto the layout for locos to run off onto when they enter the 'shed'.

The initial work went well - the doors came off with no fuss and I was able to find some tiny hinges for almost nothing on a well known auction site which I then slotted into the doors (homemade from 2mm grey board)

post-29930-0-65523000-1506458404_thumb.jpg

Then it was a case of attaching them to the layout and then remodelling the area around them to deal with the newly cut hole. Next job was to make the extension, which was simply an off cut of plywood screwed to some wooden blocks to bring it to the right level and then located with dowels and a pin and socket terminal block for the track electrics and then a bit of leftover track.

It was then that I spotted a problem - though I was happy with the way the doors looked, the big hole behind meant there was a lot of light from behind showing through around the doors which looked odd considering the idea was that it was meant to be the entrance to a dark shed. What's more the extension behind was pretty visible through the doors which meant that leaving it unmodelled wouldn't pass mustard either. Suddenly my little shed idea had spiralled a bit. 

Everything still needed to store flat (under the bed still) so I knocked up an MDF shell with the leftover tiny hinges. Once folded into shape it creates a box around the extension to cut out the light. The inside of this was then modelled with some brick paper, card and paint. I'm reasonably happy with the current result but might add a couple of embellishments like electrical boxes or internal doors. 

post-29930-0-24148400-1506458411_thumb.jpg

As for the track extension itself the easiest way I could think of to make that look like a shed was to cut an inspection pit into it - this had the advantage of not adding any height to it. After a bit of swearing at my jab saw it started to take shape and I added more brick paper and some grey board steps. Finally I used half a pack of DAS clay to create the concrete floor and in laid track. The shed entrance on the main layout got similar treatment and that will need some work to blend it in.

post-29930-0-79896700-1506458407_thumb.jpg

This is currently drying and then I'll weather it all with a liberal coating of oil and general shed muck. I might also add some crates/barrels/etc but it depends where i can store it as I don't want them getting knocked off all the time.

In all it's definitely been worth it and although it still needs some work I'm happy with how it looks - particularly like the gloomy shot of the 03 sat above the pit. 

post-29930-0-57516600-1506458414_thumb.jpg

post-29930-0-65452700-1506458417_thumb.jpg

Now, what else can I think of that will get me out of doing the point rodding?

• Like 9

Hello Southwell,

I'm very impressed with what you've achieved on the layout and by building it in within your flat - great going.  I love the muted colours, the whole layout oozes atmosphere, and the night time shots work really well. 

Edited by Sun VI

• 5 months later...

After building the shed I decided it was probably time to crack on with the jobs I've been putting off on Southwell. I should've documented them all a bit more to keep this thread going really but what usually happens is when I finally decide to crack on with something, I then focus on it until it's done, only afterwards realising I've not taken any pictures of the progress along the way.

I'm getting to the point now when I consider Southwell to be finished - I can't think of much more to do. I might rethink the fiddle yards a bit at some point, but the scenic section hasn't got a lot left to add, which feels a bit sad in a way as i've had a great time making it and the idea of just running trains now seems a little dull! Seems odd to say that as that's been the goal all along but that's how it feels. 

Anyway, the first thing to finish was the magnetic back scene. I did toy with getting some photos of industrial buildings and editing it all together but quickly realised I didn't know what I was doing so opted to paint it instead. Knowing that attempting to put any detail on it at all would look pants, I went with the idea of greyscale silhouettes of nearby buildings and a decent amount of fog (to fit in with the general feel of the layout). The first attempt looked ok but the buildings still looked too sharp to me, so i got the airbrush out and covered everything in a decent layer of light grey which seemed to do the trick

post-29930-0-08759500-1520440415_thumb.jpg

Next up was the point rodding, which was tedious, but i really think works. I added some concrete cable trunking too (inspired by being stood too long at Finchley Road tube station) which was just 2mm card cut into squares and painted. Once I'd ballasted it I took the airbrush to it all to cover it in the usual railway muck colour. 

post-29930-0-17376300-1520440441_thumb.jpg

Other developments are some additional bits and pieces outside the sheds as I thought it looked oddly tidy. I may add a few more bits and pieces, particularly some more axels as two seems too few.

post-29930-0-50083700-1520440432_thumb.jpg

I made another cameo for the extra siding which can be swapped for the static prairie, just for some variety (and to make use of a wagon kit that doesn't run well). This fellow's having a break from shovelling the coal into the staithes - the picture also shows the (tiny) Wickham trolley which caused me no end of problems to DCC.

post-29930-0-79391600-1520440423_thumb.jpg

An arty one, showing off the 03 and the Wickham, as well as the worker emerging from the plate layers hut to change the points (I also added point levers to all the points of the sidings, you can just see them in this photo but they're very blurry!).

post-29930-0-57538500-1520440427_thumb.jpg

Everything else i've been doing has been rolling stock, but I thought i'd include them anyway to justify how little I've been updating this. First is a new sand wagon with a custom load.

post-29930-0-15319900-1520440446_thumb.jpg

Second is an old Hornby Autocoach to compliment my recently acquired 64xx. It was a bit of an auction site bargain which i've added some detail and lights to - much cheaper (and more fun) than buying the Bachmann version for 60 odd quid. 

post-29930-0-38799500-1520440436_thumb.jpg

Finally, I've spent a lot of time recently building a motorised Dapol Park Royal rail bus, complete with scratchbuilt interior and working headlights. The motor's from an old Hornby pacer - it took a lot longer than I thought and, at points, I wanted to throw it all in the bin but i'm really glad I persevered with it as it runs reasonably well and I learnt a lot doing it. Here it is sat on the platform at Southwell, which seems a good place to end. 

post-29930-0-74299800-1520440419_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...