WW1 RE ROD Rolling Stock (Not taken from UK railways)

Chris hndrsn

G'day,

I am building an OO Gauge layout representing the operations of the ROD during WW1, and within financial limits, would like it to be as accurate as possible. I was reminded by the December issue of Continental Modeller on "couverts" that about 24,000 vehicles of various types, including the Warflats, brake vans and so on were built for service in France. I just don't have the money to cheat and use the HO scale AMF87 kits and would appreciate it if anyone can point me to drawings of the European style War Department rolling stock produced for the ROD. I particularly would like to get drawings/plans for the 20 ton Nord style "couvert" van in the CM article; the 15 ton Belgian covered van; the ROD brake van; the well wagon in the image below and so on.

large_000000.jpg?action=d&cat=photograph

Being from Australia and monolingual, though some would say illiterate in English as well, if anyone can recommend an appropriate French rolling stock book, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 4

If it's of any help, I've recently picked up a copy of the SNCB Belgian Railways operating books for the post WW@ period. That mentions stock numbers of WD and former LMS and other British rolling stock and briefly describes the wagons.

• Like 1

G'day,

I am building an OO Gauge layout representing the operations of the ROD during WW1, and within financial limits, would like it to be as accurate as possible. I was reminded by the December issue of Continental Modeller on "couverts" that about 24,000 vehicles of various types, including the Warflats, brake vans and so on were built for service in France. I just don't have the money to cheat and use the HO scale AMF87 kits and would appreciate it if anyone can point me to drawings of the European style War Department rolling stock produced for the ROD. I particularly would like to get drawings/plans for the 20 ton Nord style "couvert" van in the CM article; the 15 ton Belgian covered van; the ROD brake van; the well wagon in the image below and so on.

large_000000.jpg?action=d&cat=photograph

Being from Australia and monolingual, though some would say illiterate in English as well, if anyone can recommend an appropriate French rolling stock book, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

Intriguing photo! The tanks look like German A7Vs.

Edited by 62613
  • Agree 1

Intriguing photo! The tanks look like German A7Vs.

They are two captured A7Vs arriving at Tank Corps Headquarters, Erin, in July 1918. Hagen had previously been in action near Villers-Bretonneux, possibly in April 1918 during the first tank versus tank action on the 24th when three A7Vs encountered two female and one male British Mark IV tanks.

Tony

• Like 1

As suggested by Paul Bartlett, I sought the help of Greg Martin from railalbum.co.uk, who has ben very generous with his advice. I also emailed Christophe Dufrenoy, the owner of AMF87 who pointed me in the direction of the Wagons Europe website and to the relatively new group the French Rail Historical Circle which publishes a magazine Rails of Yesteryear and does special editions, including one coming this year on US wagons for the WW1 American Expeditionary Force. Christophe has also written an article on WD wagons

Not understanding French, I find it a little difficult to navigate the wagons Europe site, but I am getting there!

Notwithstanding the help already given, I would appreciate any other images, input and recommendations others may have. Really keen to get my hands on some plans!

Are there any UK Continental model rail or enthusiasts groups with a web presence?

Cheers,

Chris

Brian,

Noting the I-beam ribs visible and the external plate with the recessed hand brake wheel, I think it is the first drawing No: 473, the I-beam profile is quite noticeable and the drawing bottom left reflects that. But I do note the similarity with the planking on the inclines of the deck with the second drawing No: 474 you posted.

It will make a good wagon to carry my model of Mephisto!

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Is there a way to upload images from my HD to this thread?

Yes resize them to less than 1000kb and use the upload attachments option on the full reply.

There's an image resizer on the forum software or you can do it in paint. In paint the image as a different file name, I usually add 'small', then use CTRL W to access the size option. Once you've resized it check the file size by hovering the cursor over it in the folder.

See the bottom right button on the reply box to take you to the full editor to insert pics.

Edited by PaulRhB

This is an example of one of the Midlands-built covered vans built to a European design for the ROD. They were sent across to France as kits on their chassis. I will post images of the chassis kits ready for movement in the next day or so. The images are from "The Engineer" 19 Nov 1919.

Cheers,

Chris

post-19663-0-65231200-1488116533_thumb.jpg

post-19663-0-67370100-1488116553_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Been digging around too..

British built French design tank wagon.

post-15168-0-12427800-1488323165.jpg

WD bolster built for overseas then taken over by the North Eastern after WWII ?

post-15168-0-97059300-1488323196.jpg

post-15168-0-09870200-1488323224.jpg

I have some pictures from Longueville but they need resizing

Edited by unklian
  • Like 1

Bit more info for you. As you can see a tank wagon very like the MRCW one is 'preserved' by AJECTA at Longueville.

post-15168-0-73215700-1488401447_thumb.jpg

They also have a van that is a rare survivor of a series that were built for the ALVF, a kind of French equivalent to the ROD.

post-15168-0-53706200-1488401566_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately it was jammed into a corner of their workshop and not easy to photograph. Built in Leeds !

post-15168-0-43553100-1488401653_thumb.jpg

However I do have a rather crude drawing of this one.

post-15168-0-25367200-1488401754_thumb.jpg

Hope that is the sort of thing you meant and that it helps,

Cheers   Ian

• Like 1

Fascinating, thank you. The drawing at the bottom of Post 15 is most interesting and I'm in the process of finishing one of those at this precise moment. It was always the understanding that the GE/LNER furnished the ships for the ferry boat services and the European companies the wagons. However here we have four LNER vehicles permanently equipped and painted for Continental service. I have my suspicion that these were acquired when the LNER took over the bankrupt Great Eastern Train Ferry company in 1932(?) and they may have been either service vehicles or used as reach wagons, but that is only my speculation and I haven't any evidence to back that up.

• Like 1

Backtrack, Vol 2.6 August/Sept 1993, page 284.

Be aware that the photos and drawings show them as in use by the SBAFB and they were altered after purchase from the ROD in/around 1920. There are drawings in the NRM which show the alterations, but the annotations are in French.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...