Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Another 'Celebrity Modeller' Thread

joppyuk1

I used to work with Bruce Dickinson - he told me once about going into a model shop in Worksop ( where he was from ) . He was deffo a closet fan

Far from a closet fan. He's been on TV raving about HSTs being amongst his favourite trains.

I once operated a layout at an exhibition with Rod Stewart amongst those watching.

Perhaps those who appreciated my previous post will smile at this further recollection?  Before the start, we were advised that there were no "facilities" on the course so if we thought we might be caught out, we should take with us anything we might need.  Forewarned is forearmed, I thought, so I tucked several sheets of loo paper in the only possible place - down the front of my jock strap . . .

As mentioned when I returned to the hotel at the end of the "race", there was only cold water in which to bathe.  I "disrobed" and plunged into the very cold bath water and spent a long while removing papier mache from my nether regions.  I can assure you all that I was very "mad" at that point.  It was far from a pleasant experience.

Stan

PS Next time tales of the Seven Sisters Marathon.

Just before I started the Snowdon Marathon many years ago, I was interviewed by a nice man from BBC Radio based in Bangor.  It was a very miserable day, chucking it down with rain and I had a black plastic bin bag with a hole in it over my shoulders - the hole was so my head could stick out.  At the cue, his first question was, "Tell me, are you mad?"  Keeping a straight face, I answered, "No."  So he persisted with, "What is your ambition?"  "To finish," I replied.  I don't think he had the heart to carry on.

I did finish in around 4 hours with something like 10,000 feet of climbs and descents, only to find there was only cold water in which to have a bath at the hotel in Llanberis.  Then I really was mad.

I don't think that makes me a celebrity but at least I was on the radio.

Stan

• RMweb Premium

I was on, and indeed won, the Weakest Link. Model railways didn't come up, although I mentioned them in my application, they have a very specific 'thing' they hone in on with each contestant; in my case my job (at the time) as a Transport Planner.

I was on 'Look North' once - falling off my bike in a cyclo-cross race.  I told everyone in the office to look out for me and told them my race number.  They had all looked out for me - and thought it was hilarious.

I've avoided undue TV exposure ever since...............................

Edited by 5050

Here's a challenge then (twiddles pointed ends of handlebar moustache whilst stroking white cat).

Enter Radio 2 Ken Bruce Popmaster and only give a railway related answer to each question.

Some time ago I did a faux list of pop songs for rail enthusiasts which included such gems as "Peako" by Peter Gabriel and "Everybody Sulzer" by Modern Romance. I think my favourite was "Needles and Pinza" by the Searchers.

C6T.

Here's a challenge then (twiddles pointed ends of handlebar moustache whilst stroking white cat).

Enter Radio 2 Ken Bruce Popmaster and only give a railway related answer to each question.

Some time ago I did a faux list of pop songs for rail enthusiasts which included such gems as "Peako" by Peter Gabriel and "Everybody Sulzer" by Modern Romance. I think my favourite was "Needles and Pinza" by the Searchers.

C6T.

I like Iron Maiden's "Number of the Loco" (#666, in that case, more evidence of Bruce Dickinson's secret affliction...), and their other song about the 23:58 to Bedford, "2 Minutes to Midnight" (didn't even need to mangle the title).
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Back in 2004 when I was a Bluebell volunteer, I was asked to clean "Blackmore Vale" ready for a filming job involving Clive Groome and Bruce Dickinson. I had to leave before filming commenced, so I have no idea what was produced.

• Like 1

Back in 2004 when I was a Bluebell volunteer, I was asked to clean "Blackmore Vale" ready for a filming job involving Clive Groome and Bruce Dickinson. I had to leave before filming commenced, so I have no idea what was produced.

It was for an episode of the show Trainspotting which indeed featured an interview with Bruce on his love of railways!

• Like 1

I'm afraid the "choons" I came up with for the Gricer's jukebox didn't include any actual railway reference musical numbers.

I think there were about thirty all told, the only remit being the lyric sounded like the title.

Rotten fruit at the ready..?

The Ped's Too Big Without You - The Police.

Goyles Just Wanna Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper.

Grid Me All Your Loving - ZZTop.

Renowned basher and then C56G newsletter Editor Stuart Clarke also added Are Freds Electric? by Gary Numan, which I liked.

C6T.

• 3 weeks later...

Donald Trump has recently come out, as regards railroads, if not modelling them. I can only draw the conclusion that we will see many more coal-fired locos shortly. Bonus! If you don't mind the radiation and undrinkable water, but hey....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nothing to do with railway modelling, but I appeared on TV a couple of times in episodes of Peak Practice, in the mid nineties.

At the time, I was working as a Qualified Ambulanceman for Derbyshire Ambulance Service. In those days, there weren't many companies providing film or television productions with emergency vehicles, so when Peak Practice wanted to feature an Ambulance, they asked the Ambulance Service to provide a crew and a vehicle on a voluntary basis, (well voluntary as far as the crew were concerned, I'm sure the service charged for providing us).

On the first occasion, my mate and I took a vehicle to the village of Crich, where they were filming a scene. Our job was to bring a female patient (an actor) out of a house on a stretcher, load them into the vehicle with their concerned husband accompanying them, and drive off. This was to be filmed all in one take.

So the first time, we loaded the patient, made sure the stretcher was secure, there was a bit of dialog between one of the doctor characters and the husband, then I closed the back doors, walked round to the cab, got in and drove off, driving as I would if we had a real patient aboard, nice and gently.

Over the production radio there were screams of "CUT, Cut, Reset". so I stopped, and then reversed the ambulance back to where it had started. (They had marked a position on the kerb, and on the rear wheel, so that it ended up exactly where it was).

The Director took me to one side, and said "Look, this is TV okay?, We need it to look dramatic, look like your worried, don't take so long!"

"Okay", I said.

So take two, me and my mate carried the stretcher out of the house, chucked it in the back of the vehicle, they did the dialog, and I closed the doors, and ran round to the cab.

The Ambulance we were using that day was a Mark III Ford Transit, which was fitted with a 3.0 litre V6 fuel injected Essex engine - the type they had in the Ford Granada and Capri and the basis of the Cosworth racing engine.

I jumped in the cab, started up, hit the sirens and lights, floored the accelerator and let the clutch out. The Ambulance took off like a scalded cat, and I heard crashes and bangs and swearing from the saloon as my mate, and the actor playing the husband, were catapulted against the back doors. By the time they shouted "Cut" we were doing 60mph up the hill out of Crich...

When I reversed down to the start position again, the Director came up to the cab with a big smile on his face. "Perfect" he said.

I received some abuse from my mate, as he hadn't realised what I'd been asked to do.

The second time was a year or so later, and the production crew had obviously learned a thing or two, as they had a stunt driver to drive the vehicle.

It was a night shoot, in pouring rain, and again we, the crew, had to carry a patient out of a house, load them, close the doors and drive off.

However they obviously wanted this to take the minimum time, so the stunt driver sat in the cab with the engine running, and what I had to do was load the patient, close the back doors, walk round the corner of the ambulance out of shot and then throw myself flat in the front garden as the ambulance drove off.

Luckily, We only did this once, as when I got up after they shouted "Cut" I was covered in mud!

There you go, my claim to fame!

Al.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Mrs R and I may have inadvertently appeared in a Belgian soap opera/drama. Last year in Ghent we were having drinks in the Vrijdagmarkt; we noticed a camera crew pointing lenses at a group a few tables away but were quite surprised when action and acting started. So if you've seen a Belgian drama with an outside scene in an outdoor cafe in Ghent the slightly bemused couple in the background may well have been us.

• Like 4

Hi All

I was on a DVD once, a bloke called AndyY organised it all. It was for some magazine called BRM...

I have also appeared on Japanese TV (how's that for wierd?!) in a film about the British obsession with heratige railways and the link with Thomas the Tank Engine when I showed the film crew around Didcot. I never saw the result (and nor do I want too). It was probably along the lines of 'look at what this bunch of wierdo Brits are up to'! Funnily enough though, one of my fellow volunteers they interviewed was our ex American. Her wonderful Texas accent REALLY surprised them...

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I was on Breakfast news driving the Africa Express which Damon Allban chartered for a trip round Britain.

I had no idea who the film crew were i thought it was for the people on the train not the BBC

Was only a couple of days later i was woken by loads of people ringing me to say i was on TV

Apparently it's on YouTube