Cobalt IP Digital Point Motors and Dapol Semaphore Signals

Farlington

I can't find the answer to this anywhere so here goes in hope ...

I am using Cobalt IP Digital point motors on my DCC OO layout. At the moment they purely control the points and I change them via a Gaugemaster Prodigy controller as accessories. I would like to add some Dapol motorised semaphore signals and have these automatically changed whenever the appropriate point is changed. In my naïve mind I think that I can do this by connecting the yellow wires from the signal to the point motor in some way. Is this possible and, if so, how can it be done? If it can't be done directly what do I need to add and what would be the wiring there? I don't want to use the Cobalt levers in case you are thinking along those lines.

Many thanks in advance.

f i were you id use the traintech dpol signal controller give it the same address as the point it will work all ok connecting the 2 yellow wires to the point motor spare contacts wont work as the need to be shorted every time you want the signal to alter connecting them to the point will make the signal work every other time you change the point and it will be out of sink

have a look at the traintech device works a treat for me

John

f i were you id use the traintech dpol signal controller give it the same address as the point it will work all ok connecting the 2 yellow wires to the point motor spare contacts wont work as the need to be shorted every time you want the signal to alter connecting them to the point will make the signal work every other time you change the point and it will be out of sink

have a look at the traintech device works a treat for me

John

Thanks for the reply. I am not ready to implement this yet so I will read up a bit more before making the move.

*** To make the onboard switch act like a toggle switch is simple.

You have two yellow wires.

Connect one to the common of the Cobalt Switch. (C or Common)

Connect the other to BOTH of the other terminals of the switch (Both the Left and Right terminal)

that way every time you change the point, the signal should change.

Regards Richard, DCCconcepts

• 3 weeks later...

Many thanks for the reply Richard. I purchased a Dapol signal to try it out and it works great. Initially I thought that you meant positions 7, 8 and 9 on the Cobalt. That setup just continually changed the points. I then swopped to positions 4, 5 and 6 and, hey presto, it's doing exactly what I need it to do. Thanks again.

• 11 months later...

Are you sure this arrangement will work long-term without burning out the signal’s circuit board?

The Dapol instructions state a momentarily-on switch whereas wouldn’t this proposed arrangement be permanently-on, momentarily-off?

Edited by NickC

The Dapol Circuitry is permanently powered by the 'ac'-wires (now admitting they can be dc and as low as 9V/12V)

(the power input is half wave rectified by a single diode and then regulated to 5V - only the LED brightness will be affected by voltage variation above

that needed to supply the 5V regulator so 9Vdc is okay if you are happy with the LED brightness.

The yellow wires are simply pulses into input triggers on the controlling IC - so should not be adversely affected by being left closed

BUT do use them only as switch-closures - don't apply another power source to them.

(NB there have been at least 2 issues of the Dapol PCB - but essentially the same, at least in the original batches I have looked at)

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 04/02/2017 at 13:15, Richard Johnson said:

*** To make the onboard switch act like a toggle switch is simple.

You have two yellow wires.

Connect one to the common of the Cobalt Switch. (C or Common)

Connect the other to BOTH of the other terminals of the switch (Both the Left and Right terminal)

that way every time you change the point, the signal should change.

Regards Richard, DCCconcepts

Hi Richard, I note that this reply was some time ago and was wondering if the advice was still unchanged?

Cheers

Clive

23 hours ago, Newbie2020 said:

Hi Richard, I note that this reply was some time ago and was wondering if the advice was still unchanged?

Cheers

Clive

Clive,

The advice for the Dapol signals with a two yellow wires to operate it remains the same.

Best Regards,

The DCCconcepts Team

• Like 1