GWR branch line layout ideas

Yealmpton

Basically the classic GWR Branch line with a 14XX and 64XX didn't happen.      The 64XX were heavily engaged in the heavier main line and welsh valley auto train workings in GWR days.  There were very few 74XX.  The 2021 and 850 class Pannier and saddle tanks which did much branch work are not available RTR.

Ashburton had a 14XX on passenger and a 44XX on goods then the 14XX did the goods as well and finally when passengers were withdrawn it reverted to a 45XX ftypically 4555.

The 57XX were blue route engines pre 1950 and so were not branch engines.

There is a tiny window between the lined Green 14XX appearing and the branches closing.

The (G) WR tended to cluster its different small locos on certain sheds.  Most of Cornwall was 45XX territory, Plymouth Suburban was 64XX, Exeter area and Newton Abbott was 14XX and 51XX.   The Plymouth suburban 64XXs drifted away after dieselisation so for the period from 58 ish till the end in 1965 different classes tended to work turn and turn about, non auto engines on Auto trains etc .

However you could (as I do) warp history so model a line which either was not built or closed before your time period, and the Yealmpton branch could be just the ticket. Plymouth Area so a spare 64XX might be taking a turn, part of the line was joint with the SR so you could need an 02 class as produced by Kernow as well as your 14XX and 64XX.   Downside it was closed from 1931 ish till 1940 ish, but who cares?  Nice late GW style, 4 point stations I believe with a terminus designed as a through station ideal for when you decide to expand, I have an idea it had a swing bridge over the river Plym.   Yealmpton.  

• 1 year later...

Cardigan.

Tidal river setting. Goods yard. Harbour. Good freight and passenger, depending on what period your modelling... and

if they reopen the line... modern image - although I'm sure they'll be lots of protests (including me!!!), as the original line runs through the wildlife trust's SSSI...

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yealmpton

Basically the classic GWR Branch line with a 14XX and 64XX didn't happen.      The 64XX were heavily engaged in the heavier main line and welsh valley auto train workings in GWR days.  There were very few 74XX.  The 2021 and 850 class Pannier and saddle tanks which did much branch work are not available RTR.

Ashburton had a 14XX on passenger and a 44XX on goods then the 14XX did the goods as well and finally when passengers were withdrawn it reverted to a 45XX ftypically 4555.

The 57XX were blue route engines pre 1950 and so were not branch engines.

There is a tiny window between the lined Green 14XX appearing and the branches closing.

The (G) WR tended to cluster its different small locos on certain sheds.  Most of Cornwall was 45XX territory, Plymouth Suburban was 64XX, Exeter area and Newton Abbott was 14XX and 51XX.   The Plymouth suburban 64XXs drifted away after dieselisation so for the period from 58 ish till the end in 1965 different classes tended to work turn and turn about, non auto engines on Auto trains etc .

However you could (as I do) warp history so model a line which either was not built or closed before your time period, and the Yealmpton branch could be just the ticket. Plymouth Area so a spare 64XX might be taking a turn, part of the line was joint with the SR so you could need an 02 class as produced by Kernow as well as your 14XX and 64XX.   Downside it was closed from 1931 ish till 1940 ish, but who cares?  Nice late GW style, 4 point stations I believe with a terminus designed as a through station ideal for when you decide to expand, I have an idea it had a swing bridge over the river Plym.   Yealmpton.  

No swing bridge over the Plym, the railway bridge has greater clearance than the stone road bridge just down stream. The swing bridge was on the Turnchapel branch over Hooe Lake.

Cardigan.

Tidal river setting. Goods yard. Harbour. Good freight and passenger, depending on what period your modelling... and

if they reopen the line... modern image - although I'm sure they'll be lots of protests (including me!!!), as the original line runs through the wildlife trust's SSSI...

Tony

The line between Aberystwyth and Machynlleth runs through the SSSI at Ynys-hir I think (or at least forms the southern boundary to it) so I don't think that would necessarily be a deal breaker. I do love visiting Cardigan and I wonder if there would be enough traffic to justify reopening the line between there and Whitland.

• RMweb Gold

The entire South Wales valleys network was simply not included in the GW's colour route restriction scheme, so red engines could work anywhere (there were exceptions outlined in the Sectional Appendix). So, for instance, Dowlais Cae Harris, a BLT by anyone's reckoning, featured 56xx and B sets, and Coryton featured 5101s.  Fertile pickings for anyone who prefers bigger engines on their BLT; my layout, based on Abergwynfi which was about as basic and minimal as it got, correctly features 42xx on mineral trains.  New Tredegar was worked by a 94xx and B set.

It's not all thatched cottages and cream teas you know...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yealmpton had a bit of a strange layout - because it was not intended to be a terminus. 

Similarly with Fairford, the line was supposed to have ended at Cheltenham and so all the facilities such as the turntable and goods yard are beyond the station.

The line between Aberystwyth and Machynlleth runs through the SSSI at Ynys-hir I think (or at least forms the southern boundary to it) so I don't think that would necessarily be a deal breaker. I do love visiting Cardigan and I wonder if there would be enough traffic to justify reopening the line between there and Whitland.

The SSSI I was refering to was the one across Teifi Marshes which is from past the Welsh Wildlife Centre to Cardigan. which uses the old trackbed of the railway under the new 'flyover' into the area of Cardigan station/goods yard, which is now an industrial estate.