Freightliner Class 70's

Western Dave

• RMweb Gold

They have to be ran at least once a year with a fitter and a traction inspector and as I'm a traincrew leader I get the job. At least the 57s are warm for the run back to Norwich!

• RMweb Premium

If Freightliner are having such issues with their 70s why is it that Colas are acquiring new ones?

The Colas 70s have appeared to be more reliable that those built for FL.

Maybe it's because the Colas fleet had a number of modifications incorporated into the new build, rather than retrofitted as the FL locos were?

I think it's possibly how they are used. Freightliner really do sweat their assets doing more miles at higher speeds for longer. Generally on arriving at a terminal it will straight back out on another working. The air intake has improved their performance but obviously in the earlier days some locos didn't have all the mods some did etc...

They have to be ran at least once a year with a fitter and a traction inspector and as I'm a traincrew leader I get the job. At least the 57s are warm for the run back to Norwich!

Sounds a bit more interesting than my day on Wednesday which will be sitting next to the shark at Shenfield!

Because they don't have a lot of choice.

No more 66s can be built due to emissions regs and Caterpillar have not offered up a replacement.

The 68s are less if a 'heavy freight' loco, more like a mixed traffic machine with features Colas doesn't need.

Also rival FOCs are not in a rush to sell traction to their competitor.

Finally lots hinges on finance - the 70s may come with very attractive financial package.

...and we, in the UK, do not seem to be able to design and build our own traction anymore.  :(

• RMweb Premium

...and we, in the UK, do not seem to be able to design and build our own traction anymore.  :(

Yet we design and build plenty of traction packages for use in Europe and elsewhere.........

Alstom in Preston always appears to be busy whenever I pass by.

Trainbuilding (and lots of other engineering/building projects) is no longer a "one-country" industry in this world that we live in..

• RMweb Gold

Haven't had a lot to do with then other than been shown round one at Ipswich and seeing an almost new fire damaged one in Brush .

Strangely the one in Brush was deliberately hidden and not even shown on TOPS as being there. I think GE were very embarrassed by it

• RMweb Premium

The Class 70 doesn't seem to have set the world on fire (well, the world outside their own engine rooms). They've been around for quite a while now and seem to have made very little impact.

Haven't had a lot to do with then other than been shown round one at Ipswich and seeing an almost new fire damaged one in Brush .

Strangely the one in Brush was deliberately hidden and not even shown on TOPS as being there. I think GE were very embarrassed by it

Yes I can imagine they were. Trouble is the social media policy the company have obviously prevents me from giving you a blow by blow account of them. You will have to wait until I leave before I can write some memoirs.! Got plenty of material on everything.... 47s 57s 66s the electric locos...
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Did you see me? 66557 on 4m20?

Do you lads go west of Peterborough now? I understand you don't go Wilton anymore, there is a lad on here who is a heavy haul driver at Wilton told me they now do L79

One of my favourite jobs in BR days