NGS Hunslet Shunter

Bomag

For those who have received their NGS 1/17 Journal, NGS has announced doing a RTR Hunslet DH shunter but completely failed to mention who is producing it (or even if it is direct commission with a factory). I have no doubt that the body will be as good as any NGS RTR model, but what about the chassis?

For me its a very much a Rule 1 model so probably only a single model - the orange CEGB one looks particularly perky.

Edited by Bomag

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I have no doubt that the body will be as good as any NGS RTR model, but what about the chassis?

The NGS Journal states:

​Our model is being designed by Colin Allbright, who has experience of producing small 0-6-0 models in N having produced the Class 03 and 04 shunters during his time as design engineer with Graham Farish...

A 'Rule 1' certainty for me, just have to decide which livery...

Regards, Gerry.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I will try to add a little more information about this model and answer some of the questions above directly.

post-420-0-97408300-1485623147_thumb.jpg

The Hunslet 0-6-0 DH was produced from the early 1960s I believe and has seen service in numerous private industries, collieries, quarries, oil refineries and fuel terminals etc.

post-420-0-02447000-1485623222_thumb.jpg

This locomotive is currently owned by Harry Needle and is at Long Marston, where we went to collect a large number of measurements.

We also visited the Elsecar railway where there is another Hunslet last year. The two-tone green livery was applied to NCB locos, as was maroon, where they were used in the North East, Midlands and elsewhere over a long period.

Other liveries we are planning to offer are BP Green, Esso Red, Port of Workington yellow/blue, British Coal black/yellow and RMS blue/grey.

post-420-0-32905200-1485623800_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-55882800-1485623913_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-74767700-1485623931_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-82368600-1485624279_thumb.jpg

These liveries are a selection proposed at the moment but for now the choices are not set in stone and we are looking at other possibilities. We need to be wary of trying to offer too many liveries - after all, each scheme will be subject to a minimum order number.

The RfD two-tone grey livery was briefly carried by a loco in preservation at Carnforth I think.

We are also considering the possibility of offering a freelance unlettered model - maybe in plain green, white or blue - but this is defintely not finalised.

In terms of DCC provision we will fit a decoder but we are not yet sure how until we see the CADs, which are in preparation at the moment.

Cheers

Ben A.

(NGS VP)

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 5

Ben

As I said above, a really exciting choice and, yet again, the NGS comes up with a proposal that maximises the members whose era choices fit with the model. (not that that's neccesary to order one or more)

On livery choices I think, admittedly with no real knowledge to back it up, that complimentary stock is going to be key to enough orders to justify some liveries. If there are/were real life examples, I wonder if ECC (lots of v. good china clay stock available from 60s to modern day) and military examples could be winners.

On the subject of generic/unbranded liveries there has been an awful lot of feedback on here to suggest that unumbered doesn't sell but I suspect it may be different for a generic industrial, perhaps even with a single digit running number?

That RMS Locotec one looks very good.

I would be interested in a plain white one, as I think one in a yellow Corus livery, like the 20's were in, would look good pottering round in my steel yard.

Looks like I'm going to have to rejoin the NGS. Can orders be taken at Glasgow show at the end of Feb?

Alistair

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

Sorry Ben, another question, how long over buffers is one of these in n gauge?

I feel an evening of layout planning coming on!

Regards

Rob

Hi Rob,

The prototype is about 30' over buffers, so the model is likely to be around 60mm over buffers, according to the dimensions I have.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The journal mentions who designed it, not who is going to produce it - good design fails with indifferent manufacture.

Hi Bomag,

I don't know the name of the factory involved; but then I didn't know the name of any of the factories Dapol used to make our Colletts or Snowploughs.

I know that Colin is working with designers and engineers he knows well and has worked with before, and with his track record delivering models in the past - in particular good quality small 0-6-0 chassis - I am confident the model will not disappoint.

Cheers

Ben A.

I don't know the name of the factory involved; but then I didn't know the name of any of the factories Dapol used to make our Colletts or Snowploughs.

I guess a bit like the factories/manufacturer DJM uses are not announced and widely known. And probably for other UK model railway brands/commissioners. But it doesn't mean the final product will be indifferent.

G.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I saw this yesterday and loved the idea. I hope it does well. It's not something I will be purchasing, but only because I can't see a need for one on my current layout.

• RMweb Gold

I saw this yesterday and loved the idea. I hope it does well. It's not something I will be purchasing, but only because I can't see a need for one on my current layout.

Hi Kris,

Thanks for the support - and that's fair enough; if it's not for you, it's not for you.

However, we are hopeful that many members may decide to buy one on the basis that it could form the motive power for a small shunting layout, or be the inspiration for a small industrial facility or warehouse in an unused corner of existing layouts.

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rob,

The prototype is about 30' over buffers, so the model is likely to be around 60mm over buffers, according to the dimensions I have.

Cheers

Ben A.

Thanks Ben, that means it's slightly longer than the 03/04's then and not quite as small as I thought, it's hard judging size from photos when you are not familier with the prototype. Given the good design of the 03/04 - in which I presume Colin Allbright would have been involved - I would hazard a guess it will turn out quite desirable in both the looks and running departments.

Izzy

• RMweb Gold

This is a welcome announcement.

I will need to try and find when ESSO used these, as potentially I could take at least one to go with the fleet of ESSO Class Bs we all hope will be produced.

I'm sure I'll take a second, to commemorate the 50th anniversary, and put it in the display case.

• Like 1

Congratulations Ben I think this loco is a really excellent choice. Would it be possible to design this so that there aren't large holes to accommodate the couplers or at least an optional fill-in for anyone planning to use the Kadee type?  - I hope that makes sense........

Regards

Gerry

• RMweb Gold

Hello Gerry,

The coupler will have a NEM pocket to enable members to switch out the Rapido type for a Dapol Easishunt, or any other NEM compatible type they might wish.

In order to function there has to be an aperure in the bufferbeam, but the models will be suppplied with a panel to cover this for those who wish to display the models with full bufferbeam details or find alternative coupler solutions.

Unless you have another suggestion to achieve this?

Cheers

Ben A.