NGS Hunslet Shunter

Bomag

• RMweb Gold

Out of curiosity, is the BP green one going to be with Louise nameplates or without?

Hi there,

I am not sure yet - we are a long way from finalising the livery diagrams for painting and that will depend on more research. If it always had them then yes, if they were only applied later on then maybe not.

Cheers

Ben A.

• 3 weeks later...

As well as the NGS website, the next issue of the Journal (2/17 - currently at the printers) will include colour images of the choice of liveries. In addition, the accompanying Newsletter will include a pre-order form. 

For further details about the Journal see: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81640-ngs-journal/page-8

G.

• 3 weeks later...

Members of the N Gauge Society will now have received Journal 2/17 which sets out the details of the 16 liveries being offered on the Hunslets. Although this list of liveries may well become shorter, if the pre-orders are weak for some of them, I applaud the N gauge Society for creating the opportunity by doing the research for that range of liveries. Leaving aside the scope offered by the undecorated version, for use in a fictitious location (as in my case) the choice of basic colour schemes is comprehensive stretching from some sombre military greens through to bright orange. A bright orange CEGB version over-labelled will be shunting the Udesor grain silos in Veedinghem.

http://www.ngaugesociety.com/index.php?page=hunslet-industrial-shunter

Edited by mikeharvey22
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The NGS has been sent preliminary CAD drawings showing the Hunslet shunter.

Handrails, bonnet grilles and some other details have not yet been added, but they give a fair indication of progress so far.

post-420-0-40321700-1494146600_thumb.jpg

The model has a coreless motor in the long bonnet and a flywheel in the shorter one, with the worm below the cab driving the centre axle. All axles will have phosphor bronze bearings, not disimilar to those fitted on comparable Farish locos.

post-420-0-80802100-1494146668_thumb.jpg

The gearing is low and models will feature a flashing roof light and, we hope, a stay-alive capacitor to improve running.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The NGS has now received complete CADs for its forthcoming Hunslet diesel shunter.

post-420-0-51884700-1498126217_thumb.jpg

The model will have etched handrails and numerous separate detail parts which vary according to the particular prototype. At the moment 15 different versions can be pre-ordered, however it may be that not all generate enough demand to go to production and the choices are rationalised later.

The glazing appears solid because the centre cab is a single part that will be moulded clear and then painted. This will maximise the space inside the model as well as preventing any prisming at the corners of the windows.

The models will all be fitted with a PCB incoporateing digital components so that DC users can enjoy features such as the flashing amber roof light (where appropriate - not all vehicles carried them) and the running benefits of the stay-alive capacitor.,

The gearing has a six-part reduction to offer excellent slow-speed control and though the model will go faster than the prototupe's maximum 20mph!

Once these CADs have been checked over and approved we will authorise tooling to begin, and are hoping to see samples before the end of the year.

More images, including an interior cutaway, will be published for NGS members in the next journal.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Michael,

Yes, I thought that! We have a number of CADs to wade through, with numerous detail variations, but I think that handrail does need to be amended!

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

Really looking forward to this. I've pre-ordered the "6663 NCB Western area olive green – NGSR0593" version because as per the suggestion I really want it as military variant - to shunt the military marking Peco 10T Van's I'm assembling/painting just now as well as more modern VGA and fuel tankers.

How easy will it be to remove the NCB markings ?  

Or would it be possible to produce this variant without markings and supply transfers for those that want the NCB markings and a set of military transfers ?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Darren,

The markings will be tampo printed on, but we have no idea how hard they'll be to get off.

It if isn't easy, I would be tempted to simply mask off a rectangle around the NCB lettering and spray it black. Logos are often roughly oversprayed on real railway vehicles. You could even add some white or yellow numbers randomly selected from a decal sheet - or even a squadron number from one of the PG Models decal sheets designed for his range of military vehicles.

Cheers

Ben A.

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The NGS has received first EP samples of its forthcoming Hunslet 0-6-0DH shunter.

post-420-0-40593100-1527204758_thumb.jpg

From left to right - Esso, BP, British Steel versions. Note the detail variations including centre bonnet light on the BP version and different arrangements bonnet side boxes.

Over the weekend we will add some additional images to the NGS facebook page and website.

These models will be available for members to view at the NGS AGM in July. (Edited to correct date.)

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 6