NGS Hunslet Shunter

Bomag

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a quick snap I took of one of the Hunslet EPs with a wagon (a NGS kit) for size comparison:

post-33-0-31326700-1529919513_thumb.jpg

There'll be more photos and information in the forthcoming (4/18) NGS Journal and Newsletter (see: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81640-ngs-journal/page-10)and a sample will be available for inspection on the Main Display Stand at the NGS AGM in Horsham on the 28th July (details can be found on the website and in previous Journals/Newsletters).

G

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I'm trying to choose a suitable donor model for a respray.

Do any of the models feature the handrail setup in the EP shown by Grahame above, combined with a long hood that has no protruding boxes or tanks? Ideally one without a flashing light too. I can see one of the EPs in the pictures online has the right hood, but has a single hoop for the side handrail.

Failing that, are the additional boxes all separate fittings? If so, the Esso one may fit the bill as it will reduce the repainting required and may save scratchbuilding a box and shortening the handrails on the other side.

All the livery diagrams only show one side, but from looking at prototype photos, the Lafarge one may fit the bill, as per Arran's photo from another thread here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_04_2011/post-530-0-45421500-1302244892.jpg

Many thanks

Jo

Edited by Steadfast

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The NGS has received painted samples of its forthcoming Hunslet 0-6-0DH industrial shunter.

All 15 variants will be on display at this weekend's Warley National Model Railway exhibition at the NEC and we are planning to lend some running models to selected N gauge layouts at the show.

Among those on display will be this trio of NCB versions from the 1960s. L to R - original Snibston version on two tone green, maroon Staffordshire variant and Western Area olive green (best seller so far, possibly because it's also ideal for use with a military yard.)

post-420-0-73419400-1542915367_thumb.jpg

In contrast, the RMS Locotec version - with 50p for scale - remains in use (or certainly was until recently) as is Black Agnes, which is currently at Blue Circle's Oxwellmains cement works:

post-420-0-44508500-1542915519_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-12627100-1542915545_thumb.jpg

It is hoped that the models will go into production in December. Early bird orders, with discounted price, will close on December 31st. These models are only available to NGS members.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 4

Hi Bomag,

I haven't seen the journal yet but since the models are scheduled to go into production next month I suspect that's a misprint!

Cheers

Ben A.

My first reaction was why was it was going to take another year! However it could encourage muliple purchases if those who have pre-ordered can get further orders at the same price for a set time.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The next step is for these painted samples to be assessed, feedback sent to China, and then once the PCB settings are finalised the models will go into production.

This was the display in the NGS cabinet at Warley.

post-420-0-58191800-1543278333_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Today is the last day that the membership can pre-order their Hunslet DH 0-6-0 shunter at the reduced price.

After today there will be no more orders taken until the models are in stock and the pre-orders have been satisfied.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

A couple of questions for Ben (or anyone else who knows!) if possible.

Given my move in 2FS, I am looking at a couple of these models for use in the steelworks exchange sidings.  I gather from the NGS website (really get my membership sorted!) that there has been a delay, so they haven't been delivered yet, although as typical for me, I just miss the pre-order deadline lol!

On the yellow British Steel versions, there is a 'red' number plate on the cab side - im thinking mine would resemble that from the image below - so are the red number plates going to be tampo printed or are they etched plates to be added by the user?  If the former, can Ben or anyone from the NGS in the know, suggest what version of yellow has been used for the models?

On 03/02/2017 at 13:58, Karhedron said:

Thanks for that, I have found one now.

16786.jpg

Also, was there any development on this suggestion?

On 07/05/2017 at 12:31, modfather said:

Could the bearings be matched in dimensions to the farish ones please to help those of us converting to 2mm standards?

... and what are the models expected to be like for rewheeling to 2FS - just a simple wheel set change or more involved?

Well done to the NGS for progressing such an interesting model, and for having the courage to look at so many different livery version.

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid I cannot answer your questions regarding the technical details @Ben A

In relation to your post, however, I must admit to being a bit remiss, failing to post an update from 29th December. The following was posted on the NGS website on that date by the membership secretary:

"In writing this just prior to Christmas, I am finally pleased to say that we reached a major milestone on December 9th with confirmation that the entire run of the all important PCB’s was complete and ready to be shipped. This now paves the way to push on with final assembly, packing and distribution once the PCB’s have reached the factory in Hong Kong. This delivery of the PCB’s to Hong Kong is anticipated to be before Christmas and will then need to have a final set of tests to be done by the Factory to ensure the “100% right” requirements are met before we give the green light to finally start the assembly process.

Given the prolonged timing of the PCB production, it is now unlikely that the Factory will complete all that they need to do prior to the Chinese New Year at the end of January/early February, which is a 15 day holiday. We do hope that production completion and shipment will happen soon after this but I am not going to give dates here given past experience, but as soon as we have the shipping date you will all know through the various channels we use for updating our Members including the Journal, Facebook, Website and the ngs.io group.

Whilst there have been production delays this has allowed the committee to organise an efficient distribution process that will ensure all pre-orders are shipped as soon as possible after balances are paid and there are a number of people involved in the process to ensure you get your models quickly. Indeed, I am one of those people myself and am busy sorting my own “railway room” out over Christmas and New Year so that I am good to go to ship once the numerous boxes of Hunslets arrive with me. Similar activities are also going on with a number of other volunteers too so we will all do everything we can to ship quickly.

Finally it was good to meet a number of you at the Warley Show at the NEC last month to talk about the Hunslets and also confirm the view that there will be a strong demand for this model after the pre-orders are complete, so when the general membership selling starts, please get your orders in quickly!."

Best

Scott

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Scott, whilst it's not possible to offer delivery dates, I would like to offer my thanks to all involved for persevering with the design, development and manufacture of this model. Its obviously been a frustrating process for you at times.

Personally I believe all this hard, unpaid, work will result in a model that members will derive a lot of ensure from in years to come.

Many thanks in advance, and good luck for the final push.   

Best. Andy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 10 months later...

I see from J6/20 that we are getting them in batches and the process for delivery is convoluted.

Quite frankly I have no idea how many and which ones I pre-ordered; presumably we will be e-mailed with instructions. specific to our orders.

The review example looks like they have gone for the gun mettle grey wheels that Dapol liked to use. Still a cracking looking model. Also there is a guide on how to set the DCC settings for use on DC, unfortunately I have no idea what it means - I do hope it means that we won't have to wait until post-Covid to get somebody to fix it so we can run them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Bomag said:

Also there is a guide on how to set the DCC settings for use on DC, unfortunately I have no idea what it means - I do hope it means that we won't have to wait until post-Covid to get somebody to fix it so we can run them.

HI all,

For avoidance of doubt the models will run happily on DC or DCC straight from the box.  

The article (I think) you are referencing just explains all the work that was put in at the testing phase to ensure this was the case.

cheers

Ben A.

19 hours ago, Bomag said:

Also there is a guide on how to set the DCC settings for use on DC, unfortunately I have no idea what it means - I do hope it means that we won't have to wait until post-Covid to get somebody to fix it so we can run them.

Out of the box, the locos work on DC.   Put on track, and drive.   
Quite a lot of work has gone into making it "just work" for everyone, be it DC or DCC.  

Out of the box, on DC, the lights will operate.  
If a DC user wishes to change which lights operate on DC, or any other settings, they'll need access to a DCC system to change settings.   

- Nigel  (one of the team who worked on the decoder settings for the Hunslet).  

52 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Out of the box, the locos work on DC.   Put on track, and drive.   
Quite a lot of work has gone into making it "just work" for everyone, be it DC or DCC.  

Thanks, there is an implication that 'CV133' needs to be reset for each controller, which I think you clarified as being optional. Possibly the problem is that the article was written by somebody who seem to be very DCC orientated and may have pitched some points it above the knowledge of us lesser mortals.

3 hours ago, Bomag said:

Thanks, there is an implication that 'CV133' needs to be reset for each controller, which I think you clarified as being optional. Possibly the problem is that the article was written by somebody who seem to be very DCC orientated and may have pitched some points it above the knowledge of us lesser mortals.

You seem to make it more complicated than it is.   Nothing has to be done before using the loco.  Put it on the track, and operate the DC controller.   

CV133 controls the speed range on DC control.   If someone wants to change the speed range on DC, there is an option to change it.     

There are many options and settings in the loco, which some owners may wish to change. 

Unlike many products which hide things away, these are documented.    

I've not seem the NGS magazine.  Some of what I've written over the last two years about the loco and decoder has been technical stuff for the design team, so some of that may be the basis of text edited for the NGS magazine.    

- Nigel

4 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

You seem to make it more complicated than it is.  

I've not seem the NGS magazine.     

- Nigel

I think it was the review that made it more complicated, I would have thought that the article would have been reviewed beforehand for clarity.  I will stick to the nice pictures until I get the model.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Bomag said:

I think it was the review that made it more complicated, I would have thought that the article would have been reviewed beforehand for clarity.  I will stick to the nice pictures until I get the model.

Hi there,

Ah yes, I have just read the review.  To be fair all the comments about the speed are prefaced with 'The DCC chip allows running on DC as well as DCC; I tried it on nine different DC controllers and it worked on all of them..'  Also there is documentation provided with the model that explains everything, and this documentation is (or will be) on the NGS website.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1