NGS Hunslet Shunter

Bomag

• 4 months later...

Hi Ben,

Whats the latest update on the Hunslets ? The last report we had was the wheels were being changed and then we were hit with Chineese New Year.  I hope They have not been put on the EVERGREEN ship EVERGIVEN  (should be renamed  NEVER GIVEN UP )  Which got stuck in the Suez Canal. and now awaits its fait. If the Egyptian authorities let it go after paying a large fine for loss of revenue. I hope this is not the case.  It might have been easier to send them on the Bejing - London  Rail  link , If it is still operating. Nothing mentioned in the latest journal or on the NGS website. I suppose Cocid 19 has put a stop to most exports from H.K./China.

Look forward to hearing the latest.

Regards Ray. 

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Trewisin said:

Hi Ben,

Whats the latest update on the Hunslets ? The last report we had was the wheels were being changed and then we were hit with Chineese New Year.  I hope They have not been put on the EVERGREEN ship EVERGIVEN  (should be renamed  NEVER GIVEN UP )  Which got stuck in the Suez Canal. and now awaits its fait. If the Egyptian authorities let it go after paying a large fine for loss of revenue. I hope this is not the case.  It might have been easier to send them on the Bejing - London  Rail  link , If it is still operating. Nothing mentioned in the latest journal or on the NGS website. I suppose Cocid 19 has put a stop to most exports from H.K./China.

Look forward to hearing the latest.

Regards Ray. 

Just to answer your comments in the freight. 

Exports from China/HK i general are still going ahead. What has happened is there are shortages on empty shipping containers.Partly because the factory’s that make them stopped for three months under COVID lockdown and partly because governments over ordered incorrect ppe and are storing it in them, in ports (at one point the uk had 12,000 such containers in Felixstowe). The shipping lines are also making sure every vessel is full.

This combination means it takes 4-5 weeks to lock in a freight booking instead of 1-2 days.

freight cost is also roughly 4 times higher than normal at the moment.

The train service is running but again is fully booked way in advance.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

I have just read the new Journal 3/21 and there does not seem to be a single mention of the Hunslet - even a single line saying there has been no progress and/or no expected dates. If the project is dead due to aspects outside the Society's control then members are not likely to insist on a scapegoat - if it is dead can we have our deposit back?

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Bomag said:

I have just read the new Journal 3/21 and there does not seem to be a single mention of the Hunslet - even a single line saying there has been no progress and/or no expected dates. If the project is dead due to aspects outside the Society's control then members are not likely to insist on a scapegoat - if it is dead can we have our deposit back?

No news just means there’s no further update. I’d suggest comments like the above are just how rumours start - just keep having patience.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

No news just means there’s no further update. I’d suggest comments like the above are just how rumours start - just keep having patience.

I thought that the 'we will tell you if we think there is anything worth telling' philosophy had been rightly put into the skip of bad customer practice. A simple 'there is no news on the models progress - we are in discussion with the factory' is sufficient and is a positive customer update.    

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

The Hunslets are in production, other than the well-publicised issue that required the wheels to be redone everything is fine.

When there is a more definitive update we'll be sure to update everyone.

cheers

Ben A.

(NGS VP)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If anyone was, like me wondering where things are at with this project, below is a partial lift from a June update on the NGS website: -

"However, we believe we are in the final straight and production samples are due into the UK any day now (I write this in mid June) – they will be checked and put through their paces to ensure performance is what we expect.

On this basis, the full production run should be completed at about the time you will be reading this update at the end of July so we are getting very close to the shipment point and the requests for balance payments from you that have made the relevant pre-orders. In terms of the shipping difficulties we referred to in the update for journal 2/21, these are still there, but our hope is that we can work with the Factory to get the shipments to us as soon as possible.

Please keep an eye on our social media platforms and the Website for any further updates and please be assured that we are doing everything we can to get these models out to you as soon as we can".

It would be good to know from Ben or another of the NGS Team how the production samples performed and if they are happy, assuming they have indeed arrived as anticipated.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Has anyone had confirmation of the final price for this to Society members please? 

The website has previously said...

The price, depending on final costs and prevailing exchange rates, is hoped to be in the region of £82 per model. 

I'm reviewing it at the moment and I have to say it's exceptional value.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Has anyone had confirmation of the final price for this to Society members please? 

The website has previously said...

I'm reviewing it at the moment and I have to say it's exceptional value.

Good question!

I asked in May 2020 and was directed to this page, last updated in 2018, which seems to say it is still £82, but also told "the Membership Secretary will be in touch with you when the time is right" to confirm. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

I had the following emails yesterday:

On Mon, 15 Nov 2021 at 17:14, Scott (NGS Publicity Officer) via groups.io <scottstitchell=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

It’s nearly time to hug a Hunslet!

The first batch of Hunslets have arrived!

The liveries delivered are: NCB Green; NCB Olive; NCB Maroon; British Steel Yellow and RMS Locotec.

IF YOU HAVE PRE-ORDERED – The Membership Secretary is currently sending out balance payment requests and instructions.

IF YOU HAVE NOT PRE-ORDERED – These locos will go on sale to members when the pre-orders have been dealt with.

Watch the NGS Website for further information.

PLEASE NOTE - overpayments will not be refunded.  Instead your membership period will be extended accordingly.

Best

Scott

Followed up by:

Adrian Cotterill 19963 (NGS Shop Manager) <shop@ngaugesociety.com>

To:ngs@groups.io

Mon, Nov 15 at 10:18 PM

We were told the three batches would be delivered at monthly intervals. Of course that could just be a game of Chinese whispers.
Regards
Adrian

I have to remain patient, but very much excited.

Regards, Gerry.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have received my invoice for my two pre-orders :clapping_mini: Balance is £55 per 55T (spooky, or contrived?). Hopefully one or both will be here by Christmas. The only question is why did I chose those liveries; must have made sense at the time!  

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, gedlee said:

There doesn’t seem to be any information on when they are likely to be posted out. I paid in full when I ordered them so I am really looking forward to seeing something soon.

Cheers,

Ged.

The liveries delivered are: NCB Green; NCB Olive; NCB Maroon; British Steel Yellow and RMS Locotec.

From the NGS shop posted 15th; both of mine are in there!

• Agree 1

20181124_094156.jpg.8ec4931d3088327f3df1e645d6a222ca.jpg

No- mine haven't arrived yet.  This is the powered livery sample sitting on the length of unpowered rail on Hawthorn Dene at Warley show.  Why there?  the livery samples had no DCC bits inside them but this one had a motor.  We did drag the Yorkshire liveried one round and round the colliery line sandwiched between the blue Pannier tank and a rake of 21 ton hoppers.  The Peckett in the background is a re-worked Farish J94 so this gives an idea of just how small the Hunslet is.

Sadly Hawthorn Dene has since been sold into retirement but my Hunslets have other duties allocated to them when they arrive... 

I paid the invoice for my three yesterday morning and am now looking forward to their arrival.  The two this colour will be used on Croft Spa.  The batch for the Bowes railway at Springwell Bankfoot Loco shed (including no.503) were delivered in pairs via the East Coast Main Line and the Leamside line. I'm not sure whether they turned right at Northallerton and ran via Stockton or whether they kept on the ECML as far as Ferryhill.  My North Eastern pair will pass through Croft Spa Northbound from time to time with a brakevan in tow.

BTW - price for new orders (members only) is £82.  Early pre-orders got a discount of £7 per loco.

Les

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Hi all has christmas come early this year.

Yes I got my final payment request for my 2 locos the other day and sent in the payment as requested.

Looking forward to seeing the little beuties.,as I have not seen them at a show or on display only in the NGS mag or in the

general press.

Les 1952 Its a shame that they were not fully avialable befor you sold Hawthorne Dene they would have looked a treat running on that layout.

May be I will get to building Backworth collerey one day.

All the best regards Ray.  

I got mine today and they are very nice. The only slight niggle is that there is no clear, plain text, indication on the box, nor sleeve, which livery the models are. Its a voyage of discovery every time you open one up!

Edited by Bomag

Hi all,

Christmas has come early this year. My order for my NCB &BS Yellow arrived in this moonings post.

They look superb well worth waiting for and the price is excellent compared to other N gauge Locos by commerial companies.

( I know that the NGS is a non profit making co.) But it still shows the wait was worth it .

Look forward to the next loco project.

Regards Ray.    Next step is running them.

• Like 1

My three arrived this morning.

First impressions- excellent though not a surprise having handled the samples three years ago (was it really that long?)

20211126_143308.jpg.2b4ef61643a4c9b7ce1865720f7b3a1b.jpg

The three came out of the boxes easily and when given a quick test on the programming track two worked immediately but the third wasn't going to go backwards (one of the green pair).  However putting it between the other two and running it up and down along the track freed it.  It now runs as smoothly as the others and at the same pace on analogue.

I've set the addresses on all three to 503, the number on the side of the green ones. They are never going to work independently on DCC on the same layout.  As seen in the pic they have spent an hour trundling forwards round my running-in oval followed by an hour running backwards.  Very quiet, very smooth and very slow even at top speed.  Uncoupling and spreading them out they seem matched to within less than 5% in speed- as good as I've ever got from a supposedly identical pair of mechanisms and chips.  The pic shows that the rear one had remembered its setting of headlights on from the programming track while the middle one had its headlights off.

One niggle.  There isn't a CV list provided with them.  As supplied they have rather a substantial degree of inertia- sufficient coast to render shunting difficult unless they are set to shunt mode using F3.  In shunt mode they are well behaved.  As shunters most of these models will be required (if they ever leave their boxes/showcases) to spend most of their time shunting.  With hindsight would it not have been more sensible for them to have been set in shunt mode as default and to use F3 to switch inertia ON rather than off?    Failing that does anyone know which CV to change to achieve this?

Other than that niggle I'm extremely pleased with them.  The pair for Croft Spa can both carry the number 503.  The numbers are so small I don't think anyone will be able to read them even if the pair are standing in the carriage dock.  Next is to put the detail pack on one end of one (the front one) and change the couplings between the Croft Spa pair for Profis.  As the only locos on that layout with Profis it will ensure they only get coupled together.  The rear coupling will remain a Rapido to couple to a brake van. The maroon one for Bregenbach im Schwarzwald will get Easi-shunts for its brewery duties.

Les

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

One niggle.  There isn't a CV list provided with them. 

Les

Hi Les,

The answers to your questions are all in the documentation on the NGS website.

http://www.ngaugesociety.org/sandpit/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/NGS-Hunslet-DCC-Manual-v1.01-released-Aug-2020.pdf

Thanks

Phil H

• Thanks 1