Hornby 08 with Zimo and Express lighting failed to fit all in

locospotter

• RMweb Gold

I have to admit defeat can't fit body back on with all the PCB and decoder inside will have to rethink what to do I take my hat off to those who have done it better men then me.

I did it but it was very tight. Have you removed the PCB? I had the decoder where the PCB was, lighting board above the motor and speakers behind the radiator.

Roy

I have to admit defeat can't fit body back on with all the PCB and decoder inside will have to rethink what to do I take my hat off to those who have done it better men then me.

Hi Locospotter ,

I had to tackle this with my 08 a little while back .

I used Paul Chetter's 'protodrive' sounds along with stay alive and the express models lighting kit as you have .

I had to drill out the protrusions on the underside of the roof , I then resoldered the 4 wires at the centre of the PCB so they were flat rather

than leaving the board 'reaching for the sky'.

The stay alive complete with bypass diode supplied by Paul was placed directly above the worm drive after the small metal weight that

enshrouds it was removed .

As for the decoder ...... that resides between the front wheels !

Part of the keeper plate was cut away, double sided tape used to insulate and the decoder duly stuck on .

The ten or eleven wires enter the loco just in front of the motor cradle via two holes drilled at an angle .

I know that this method may raise a few eyebrows but I've had no issues with it  even over uncoupling ramps .

Future sound /light installs will be utilizing lighting units from Jason Edmunds (Stickswipe)

These units do not require a central PCB making it easier , in my view to install.

Hope this helps

I have taken out Zimo sound decoder and put into another 09 no way was body going back on with lighting kit PCB as well I even had to take thick plastic sleeve off to get body back so lighting with be in o8 with normal decoder Thanks to all who replied to my posts.

Archived