An O Gauge Plan - Thoughts and feedback

maq1988

• RMweb Premium

Hello all, 

As with many others I've caught with the O gauge bug thanks to the likes of the Dapol 08 and the Minerva Peckett. This has led to a potential O gauge shunting layout. I've got exactly 10 feet 10 inches by 2 feet 6 inches of space to play with.

Attached are the current 'loose' plans - there will be a three wagon + one loco cassette/traverser to bring in wagons and complete the run-round. Traverser will be hidden behind the two longest sidings at the front.

I've considered another short (2 wagon) siding, layout is partly based on a small factory yard where different loads come in and out, mostly vans and coal but really any shortish 4 wheeled wagon.

Any comments would be welcome.

post-9866-0-62495000-1485815294.jpg

post-9866-0-80570400-1485815302.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

You have a similar space to me. I have reduced width a little as Im not comfortable to reach over 2'6" when the layout is high enough to look right. I can't work out you plan from the photos. Are you intending to use Peco Points? Try sketching your plan in scarm or even drawing it and scanning it then you will probably get more replies.  

• RMweb Premium

My first thought would be not to have the fiddle yard hidden behind trackwork. If you put a backscene behind the tracks at any real height to be useful in hiding it, then the problem will be that it will also be awkward to reach over to get to it.

Izzy

• RMweb Premium

Hello all and thank you for comments, since posting I've made a few changes to the track plan to which a rough AnyRail draft is attached. Answers to comments below:

- L&Y: I've physically moved the track closer to the front of the boards and can reach over without hassle for coupling etc. I'm not very tall and unfortunately the layout is quite high to go over a fireplace. In the event I can't reach I do have a sturdy old beer create to stand on. Hopefully in the future the layout will be lower when a house move occurs. All pointwork is Peco apart from where the C&L template is

Memphis32: Rule 1 applies quite heavily here for era and location, general thoughts are it is the end of a general factory yard for goods out and some goods in. If I had to choose it'd be an simple engineering works that just happens to ship most things out in boxes in vans

Izzy: I've removed one of the sidings infront of the traverser and shortened the other - a single through siding will now be used to take open wagons to another part of the factory to be mysteriously loaded and unloaded by 'the great hand in the sky'. Access to traverser (now a sector plate) should be easy to get at

A part of the plan is that the two far sidings and the run-round headshunt can also act as an inglenook arrangement

Backscene will be a mixture of various two and three story factory buildings with loading docks for vans and open wagons. Siding at the front is yet to be decided in terms of purpose. Scenic break will be made up by creating a walkway bridge between a building at the front of the layout and the main factory at the rear

post-9866-0-87398800-1486941048_thumb.png

Archived