DJM Dave

145 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in an N gauge King Class Crowdfunded model

• Yes i would be interested
    • Yes i would and more than 1
    • Yes i would and more than 2
    • No i wouldn't be interested

Hi,

PLEASE NOTE: This is not a product announcement!

On the 'Ask Dave' section Les1952 asked the following..........

Given that the loco has been scanned and the CAD done, is there any mileage in doing it in N instead?

The Farish model is a bit tired.

Les

And it's a very good question.

For those of you that followed the Hattons King thread will have seen the proposed OO gauge models development from laser scanning through to the cad development.

Due to DJM now taking on the King project in OO from Hattons, it makes perfect sense to take a look at this iconic locomotive for N gauge.

Looking at the cad/cam's (please check them out on the Hattons section) you can see a wealth of detail that the OO version would have had, including cab roof changes, pipe run changes, no gap above the bogie etc, which will, when it comes out, make it truly a model that sets higher standards in OO with no comparative model of that genre.

Now while that's progressing, at its own pace there is a chance, due to factory allocated production and tooling space for the OO version now coming free, to do the King in N gauge.

However, although i have ample capacity to do so, both in design (it will need a new chassis and some minor alterations, as you don't just shrink down a OO one to N gauge), and tool room / production what i don't have is the cash to do so.

So, although i said in my New Years message that i probably wouldn't do any more, if this proposed project could garner enough enthusiasm, i would open it up to crowdfunding.

So before i go down that road, and have the inevitable negative comments about crowdfunding, i invite you all, your fellow modelers and possibly club members to come along here and comment. Let me, and us as a collective discuss this for a month, and see where it takes us.

It might also be a good idea to have a poll here but i'll also let you decide.

I have no doubt a King will come along in N gauge, its just when, and to what standard taking into account the benchmark that would be set by the OO version, but this is a perfect time to get the ball rolling here.

I would suggest as launch models for crowdfunders, a BR Green late crest, Early Crest

GWR Shirtbutton, Great Western, and a BR Blue version as crowdfunders models but am open to suggestions / the will of you the modeler if you see it viable to start with.

Although i have yet to get a quote from China on this i would think that 1000 items sold would make the project viable. and yes i envisage all variants that Hattons announced in OO being available in N gauge, although this would be over time and not immediately.

I hereby welcome your thoughts

Cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-97973200-1486026722_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-00866300-1486026736_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-22685400-1486026740_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

From a rival perspective, I think we can safely say there won't be a duplicate product coming from Revolution on this one and I think Farish would have announced this as a model and anyway like Dapol have a massive backlog.

So if you want a King anytime soon this looks like the place to buy it.

• RMweb Premium

I would consider a King in N, I would prefer one in BR Blue.

Rather not have tender based motor/drive as I've always found them to be unreliable.

If I could pick a certain locomotive I'd go for Richard III

Further to my posting here, 

i've got a basic specification in mind that i'll put below, plus an idea of the 5 crowdfunded models i'd suggest 

Specifications.......

Coreless motor within locomotive boiler

Heavy Tungsten split frame chassis

Next 18 decoder socket

Sound provision in tender

etched nameplates and cab numbers

replacement bogie for tighter radius track

no light between bogie and underside of chassis

Removable plastic coal load for those that wish to model their own

Rear driving wheels to have traction tyres for maximum haulage but with spare drivers without tyres in packaging

close coupled tender

close coupling on tender rear

removable front coupling housing

correct body, tender and cab type to livery depiction

Crowdfunded names and numbers......

Available only in this livery and running number for crowdfunding and will not be duplicated for sale elsewhere!

6000 KG5  BR  Lined Green Early Crest (as preserved) with bell

6023 KE2   BR  Lined Blue Early Crest (as preserved)

6xxx           GWR Shirtbutton Green

6xxx           Great Western Lined Green (Great 'logo' Western)

6xxx           Livery and name open to consensus 

Hope this helps clarify my thinking

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

Good to see GW liveries in there but perhaps there needs to be at least two BR liveries Early and Late as I imagine most modellers (not collectors) will be running BR period.

Or do you see those in a post Crowd funded mainstream model?

I see a late and early in mainstream, as and when, but not the same ones I would produce for crowdfunding.

Whilst I'm sure a N Gauge King would be welcomed by fans of the GWR and BR(W), I'd much rather see some progress on the Class 17, 23 and J94 announced several years ago.

Yep, I agree and, while a King might be welcome, I hope that any resources spent on that project doesn't impact the progress of the classes 17, 23, J94 (announced 2013) and the wagons (announced 2015).

G

A top quality N gauge King sounds like something I could support. I'd probably go for 6023 King Edward II as preserved and any loco that was a regular performer on Paddington to Wolverhampton trains. In descending order of preference for Early BR Crest, Late BR Crest and G *crest* W.

Hi Dave,

I have a GWR BLT so the chances of a beast like the King making its way down my blue-route restricted metals are pretty small.

Darn it, Rule #1 will have to apply. I will definitely be up for at least 1! :D

• Like 1

Dave

I'm up for one - though not as up as for your already announced Mogul.

I've seen an image of a King at Tintern. The Lord's intervention saw it through Tidenham and Tintern tunnels and temporarily gave it a blue route restriction on the Bridges over the Wye.

Not sure even Chepstow was a double red route but I'll need one for my retirement layout in about 10 years. (P.Risborough circa 53).

BR early crest green.

Rule 1 again.

Regards

Matt W

• Like 1

Personally I would prefer to see the previously announced Churchward 43xx mogul produced first, as it has never been available ready to run, unlike the King. Is it a question of the mogul being part of the main DJM production plan, and so reliant on funds from sales of previously produced DJM models, whereas the King being crowd-funded would not be reliant on previous sales? But then why not do the mogul by crowd-funding as well?

Edited by Douglas G
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

But then why not do the mogul by crowd-funding as well?

Would the 43xx be as an attractive proposition for crowd-funding as the King? Out of all the various crowd funded projects to be attempted over the past few years, it only seems to be the big & shinny items that make it through to production. Attempts to produce the more mundane items always seem to struggle to cross the line, most ultimately failing.

I suspect that a 43xx crowd funded project would fall into the later catergory, whereas the more glamorous, mainline King might also appeal to a larger number of 'rule 1' purchasers, as it does in my case.

It would be nice to see some movement on the previously announced N Gauge items I agree, but Dave is trying to run a business and has to produce items he knows will sell at this early stage in the game, otherwise there's a strong chance we'd never see the 43xx or any other models further down the line. Yes the wait is frustrating (I say that as someone waiting for the N Gauge J94) but we know Dave is capable of ultimately delivering these models having seen the commissions he's already brought to market with the likes of Kernow & Hattons.

Tom.

Got to say this has my vote, I can see some people's Point of View above regading other previously annoucned models, however as this is a "special" engine and I doubt many people will buy lots - the class only numbered 30 and didnt really stray off 2 or 3 routes Paddington - Birmingham, Cornwall and South Wales (I am not 100%, am sure someone will tell me) so their appeal is limited. I am planning an N Gauge GWR junction station and the idea of a King thundering through on the Cornish Riviera has great appeal, but even then I would probably only want 2 one for each direction (may got more on a whim).

Based on the above I see them as ideal for Crowd Funding, whereas the 43XX and J94 will repay their costs over time due to higher sales the King might not. Plus presumably producing this model at no cost as it were might create the cash flow needed to get one of the otehr N gauge models off the ground.

So put me down for a pair in GWR - one Shirtbutton and one Great "CREST" Western please.

Oh and one other thing it would help me win appeal for getting these if either of those were to carry the name "King Edward.." nameo f some sort

Edited by Ed-farms

• RMweb Premium

but NOT as preserved as these have the cab roofs and safety bonnets lowered to enable them to run under the wires.

Regards,

Alex

Everyone argued this wouldnt be noticeable on the OO Gauge model, so it's gonna be almost invisible on an N Gauge model.

Hi all,

Yes in a perfect world the other announced models would be well on their way, when in fact that the 92 and 17 are coming, the others aren't by dint of cash flow.

This model will be Crowdfunded and is pretty much, bar the chassis mod and a few alterations to make it an N gauge model, ready to go.

It's almost an instant loco just needing funding. It doesn't affect, or will not be affected by, other models in the queue that will get made as and when monies free up.

Cheers

Dave

Everyone argued this wouldnt be noticeable on the OO Gauge model, so it's gonna be almost invisible on an N Gauge model.

Someone, somewhere will notice. We have the option to get it right first time without skimping, and I must admit I'd rather do that unless others aren't fussed.

Nice to have an as close to accurate as possible loco though wouldn't it?

Cheers

Dave