8' 6" motor bogies 4mm / OO

MJI

• RMweb Premium

I need a motor bogie capable of handling 3 coaches.

What would be the best solution?

High Level motorbogie

Black Beetle

Replca chassis

Want good value rather than cheap.

Is a BB or HL up to this?

Also where can I get a BB from?

Thanks

Martin

• RMweb Premium

I have a Black Beetle in a 128 and that is OK, but may test with 3 trailers and see if enough grunt, tempted by the High Level one.

It will be fitted to a vehicle with a guards compartment so some intrusion OK, prefer that to low level intrusion in the passenger section.

Would that be 8' 6" in HO 1/87 scale rather than OO 4mm/foot ?

Brian

Yes, you are right — the scale in Stanton drives is 1:87 so the WB of 8'6" Stanton Drive bogie is not right in 1:76 scale. In 1:76 scale you need the bogie with 33,9 mm WB. NWSL has the bogie with almost right WB — the 9'6" Stanton Drive with 33,3 mm WB. (I hope that I have made my calculations right with inches and millimeters :no2:

Edited by Petri Sallinen

...Want good value rather than cheap...

I think you would have to search very hard for better value than picking up a 14mm wheeled 34mm w/b bogie BoBo with centre motor drive by Bachmann or Heljan, at whatever is the best price available. You get two drive bogies and transmission lines, and a motor with two drive couplers, so the purchase of an additional motor furnishes two single bogie drives. (And there's a whole heap of spares from the model to use, or sell on to further reduce the expense.)

• RMweb Premium

High Level motorbogie

Black Beetle

Replca chassis

Thanks

Martin

Hi Martin

What are you intending to power?

What wheel diameter?

Depending on the wheel diameter, you have Hornby ringfield, Hornby Railroad, Lima, Heljan, Bachmann DMU, Bachmann loco, Teshondo 35WB14D, Black Beetle, Triang (old Hymek), Bullant and High Level Low Rider.

• Like 1

High Level motorbogie

Black Beetle

Replca chassis

Thanks

Martin

Branchlines sells Black Beetles and many other motors and gearboxes etc. Unfortunately it has no web site but advertises in the model magazines.

http://www.clag.org.uk/wheelbase.html

Find something with the correct wheelbase, then find on at a good price. I have found the defective Heljan claytons useful as the wheels can be changed and fixing the drive problems gives a useful low height drive with the added bonus of being able to use half the cast chassis to add weight.

• 1 month later...

I think you would have to search very hard for better value than picking up a 14mm wheeled 34mm w/b bogie BoBo with centre motor drive by Bachmann or Heljan, at whatever is the best price available. You get two drive bogies and transmission lines, and a motor with two drive couplers, so the purchase of an additional motor furnishes two single bogie drives. (And there's a whole heap of spares from the model to use, or sell on to further reduce the expense.)

Great minds think alike.

I bought 2 Bachmann 25s back when they were available at about 40 quid each.  I also bought a couple of big mashima cans at the same time, so I've got the power for 2x 3 car 126s and 2x 3 car 80 class DMUs that I'm going to get around to building/converting. (eventually)

You can use the Hornby 153 motor bogie. The real things wheel base is about 1/2" bigger, and the wheel size is within less than 0.5mm so you can use the wheels as well. The Hornby dmu bogie frame clips onto it perfectly. It also has no traction tyres, making all wheel pick up easy.

• 1 year later...

An update on this , as I currently have the problems of repowering a detailed 155 (seized motor bogie) and finding a drive unit for a prospective "assemble from bits" NBL Type 2 diesel-electric

The Hornby 153 motor bogie is out of stock at Peter's Spares , though they still have some 101/121 motor bogies . These have 12mm wheels - the 155 has 11mm wheels, and a cl 21 14mm...

Black Beetles are no more. I am trying to avoid robbing the Beetle off the stalled Bratchill 150 as I can't get another one 

Bullants are in the same situation - it is not clear if Hollywood Foundry can supply direct , there may be residual stock in the UK but it doesn't look good

The going rate for a s/h Bachmann rat seems to be £60-90

Peter's Spares no longer have Hornby Ringfield motor bogies. Nor do they have the Railroad 6 wheel drives available (I could use one or two for powering a modest collection of Class 31 bodies). Nor do they have any Lima motor bogies . (And the larger CD-tray replacement motors for repowering Lima motor bogies seem to be unavailable)

What they do have is a moderate stock of Javelin motor bogies at a moderate price - 8'6" wb , 10.5mm wheels . So I've bought one , as I've not heard any serious complaints about the running of the Hornby Javelins   and they are about half the price of a Beetle when you could still get them. They are also likely to have much more grunt

As far as the NBL Type 2 is concerned, I think the only practical option is likely to be to acquire an old Hornby loco of some kind cheap, and rob out the X942 motor bogie . A quick look on ebay and elsewhere suggests that the cheapest option might be a pair of the old Hornby HST powercars -  as they were available for about 35 years in trainsets they seem to be a drug in the market. Ideally I'd be looking for a post-2000 5 pole version as it's much easier to convert to DCC and is nominally 8 wheel pickup. About £20-30 might be realistic for a pair of powercars , from what I can see

Edited by Ravenser

Hi,

I did a haulage test (on the flat) on a Black Beetle in a 2-HAP powered coach, so for those who have access to one:

post-29876-0-64000600-1542804202_thumb.jpg

It may have been spinning its wheels when more coaches were added but I was wearing headphones at the time.

Regards

Nick

• 1 year later...