Unidentified Location and/or Loco/Date

• RMweb Gold

Six days later I am in the Nottingham area. I have this as Kirkby-in-Ashfield Station on 20 August 1964. The negatives before are at Annesley shed and after Langwith shed.

attachicon.gifRRB6_29_20151208_0022_800.jpg

Taken from off the north end of the Up platform by the look of the angles. To the right was Newstead Colliery. Directlly in line behind the pub is Newstead Village. Annesley Colliery was to the north-west that. 

Behind the photographer the road from Newstead Station (MR) to Newstead Abbey went under the GNR then under the GCR lines. Annesley shed was between the two.

:offtopic: 

Straying into 'War Story' mode, I remember attending a Public Meeting at the pub regarding the level crossings on the Robin Hood Line. The Inspecting Officer, Project Manager, and the various Project Engineers sat amongst a lot of ex-miners drinking lemonade, as it was around the time the Drugs & Alcohol Rules came in. My abiding memory is that the dartboard in the room we used was fixed to the wall with four large Rawlbolts. Apparently someone had taken a previous one from the wall and hit another customer with it during an argument.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The weather really deteriorated later that day. Here is BR Standard 5  73080 Merlin approaching (by the docks in the background) Southampton station. Slightly out of focus but with an Ilford Sportsman and its 1/250 shutter speed with no light meter on a heavily overcast day not a bad photo!

attachicon.gifRRC2_02_20170130_0003_1200.jpg

As with the picture in post #98, the loco is carrying SR route indicator discs for Bournemouth -> Oxford which probably explains the unusual stock.  Could be a pigeon special returning to the WR with accommodation in the first coach for the handlers.

In earlier years such a working might have gone via the S&D.

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Gold

As with the picture in post #98, the loco is carrying SR route indicator discs for Bournemouth -> Oxford which probably explains the unusual stock.  Could be a pigeon special returning to the WR with accommodation in the first coach for the handlers.

In earlier years such a working might have gone via the S&D.

I would think it would probably be going much further north - but as you say 'Bournemouth - Oxford' which also suggested to me that it was probably a return pigeon special.

• RMweb Gold

The weather really deteriorated later that day. Here is BR Standard 5  73080 Merlin approaching (by the docks in the background) Southampton station. Slightly out of focus but with an Ilford Sportsman and its 1/250 shutter speed with no light meter on a heavily overcast day not a bad photo!

attachicon.gifRRC2_02_20170130_0003_1200.jpg

Given the weather and the shutter speed limitations I would say a very good photo indeed, Reiver, with a handsome amount of sky/cloud detail.  But even I know this is Southampton west end.

• RMweb Gold

Taken from off the north end of the Up platform by the look of the angles. To the right was Newstead Colliery. Directlly in line behind the pub is Newstead Village. Annesley Colliery was to the north-west that. 

Behind the photographer the road from Newstead Station (MR) to Newstead Abbey went under the GNR then under the GCR lines. Annesley shed was between the two.

:offtopic:

Straying into 'War Story' mode, I remember attending a Public Meeting at the pub regarding the level crossings on the Robin Hood Line. The Inspecting Officer, Project Manager, and the various Project Engineers sat amongst a lot of ex-miners drinking lemonade, as it was around the time the Drugs & Alcohol Rules came in. My abiding memory is that the dartboard in the room we used was fixed to the wall with four large Rawlbolts. Apparently someone had taken a previous one from the wall and hit another customer with it during an argument.

Just as well it wasn't a fight, then...

• RMweb Gold

I would think it would probably be going much further north - but as you say 'Bournemouth - Oxford' which also suggested to me that it was probably a return pigeon special.

Oxford will be the handover point for the train from the SR to the WR, so the SR only routed it to there. Where it's going on from there we'll never know, but as you say it's no doubt going much further north. By this date the Pines Express was taking the same route and probably had the same head code.

Today there are a couple of trains per hour scheduled from Southampton or Bournemouth to Manchester or Newcastle that take the same route.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

In the latter part of 1965 I had to travel from Carlisle to Cardiff, changing trains at Newport. While waiting for a train I started talking to a railway worker who told me not to catch the first train to Cardiff but wait for the second on which was steam hauled.

Sure enough, the train arrived hauled by 7029 Clun Castle. The worker told me this was a regular working for 7029. Its home shed at that time was Gloucester Horton Road.

Does anyone know anything about this regular working and the dates involved? I took quite a lot of photos of it, being the last working Castle. Here are a couple I took at Cardiff.

post-19218-0-95658000-1505985772.jpg

post-19218-0-59682800-1505985798.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I received this photo recently from someone asking for information on it. From the RR and No. 16 I thought it could be a Rhymney Railway A class 0-6-2T tank locomotive introduced into traffic in 1910 and designed by the railway's engineer Hurry Riches. Can anyone confirm this?

attachicon.gifRR_16.jpg

Rhymney Railway Class '106-110', later classified during the Riches regime as Class M.   Ordered in the Lundie period late in 1903 but the design is attributed by some sources to Richard Jenkins, the complete class was delivered between June and September 1904.  The picture shows the engine after being reboilered with a Belpaire firebox boiler which reportedly took place in 1919.  The GWR renumbered the Class R and Class M engines into a single group of numbers and No.16 became GWR No. 33,  it was withdrawn in February 1951 as the final survivor of the M class - it never received a Swindon design taper boiler..

RR 108 was a member of the same class.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Certainly Whitland was a destination and despatch point for fish traffic, and that's a D801 blue spot fish van alongside.

From the footbridge?

28322770412_d7bed075f5_h.jpgWhitland. 4569 & train from Cardigan. 8.9.62 by Roger Joanes, on Flickr

Wish I hadn't missed out on this thread earlier this year, as I grew up in this area.

For a then 'n' now (almost), here's Whitland in March 2013:

post-29614-0-54343100-1510868811_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 years later...

Hi

Using the internet I am trying to identify dates that I took photos, my records long since lost.

I have found a strange paradox on a roll of film I took in the mid 1960s. I have a photo of A4 60009 and Clayton D8613 taken in Aberdeen Ferryhill shed. The Clayton way transferr to Haymarket along with others from Barrow Hill 28 May 1966. 60009 was withdrawn on  1 June 1966 and it looks like the photo was taken after withdrawal.  Also on the film strip is B1 61008 with a 65A shedplate. This was reallocated to 66E Carstairs on 13 June 1966. So, This data suggest that the photo was taken after 28 May 1966 and before 13 June 1966.

However, towards the end of the film roll is a photo of D1974 which looks brand new. This was released to traffic on 13 November 1965 which conflicts with the above dates!

I wonder if D1974 had beeen back in the works? Anyone any idea about this?

PS the photos are definitely on the same film roll

CA020_09A_20171208_0008_1200.jpg.1575af76e5e6cd26112121c68fc0e943.jpg

CA020_34A_20171208_0033_1200.jpg.0915ba0f9b368006ab59914e35b6de8d.jpg

• Like 4

Thank you for the info Stovepipe.

Looking again at my photo of D1974, I notice that the trees in the background are in full leaf, so it was definitely not taken at the time it was built 11-65 or the winter months just after. As you say, it may have indeed been back to works for rectification.

Taking into account my photos of the Clayton and B1, I'm now sure that photos on my roll of film were taken in from early to late June 1966

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, sir douglas said:

it would be interesting to also know whats going on with that discarded bogie

Would the various lengths of rail between Dn Fast/Dn Slow and the sleepers lined up in the cess suggest the aftermath of a derailment? I also notice a Class 25 lurking in the Up siding near the far cottages.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1