Tiny brass section

SteveCrow

I've just received some brass H and I section from 2mm x 1mm down to 1/32 square.

It is rather tarnished and as I don't intend to paint it, I'd like to bring it to a good finish.

Has anybody any suggestions on how I might achieve this? Particularly getting into the web of the beam of the 1/32 stuff?

Cheers

Steve

I've just received some brass H and I section from 2mm x 1mm down to 1/32 square.

It is rather tarnished and as I don't intend to paint it, I'd like to bring it to a good finish.

Has anybody any suggestions on how I might achieve this? Particularly getting into the web of the beam of the 1/32 stuff?

Cheers

Steve

Try spraying it with Cif and brushing it well into the web with a small, stiff brush then give it a good wash.  That's what I do with N/S kits etc. and it brings then up shining bright with no rubbing.  Alternatively there's Brasso rubbed on with a stiff brush or a paper towel.  I haven't tried it on brass strip, but it works a treat on a brass fire surround!  Needs a bit more elbow grease, though.

Jim

Jim

I'll try the various products suggested but I'm really looking beyond just removing tarnish and polishing the surface.  No real problem with the bigger sections and and the outer faces but its getting into the web with the small section.  Can any one think of something that's finely abrasive but small enough to get in there?

I'll try the various products suggested but I'm really looking beyond just removing tarnish and polishing the surface.  No real problem with the bigger sections and and the outer faces but its getting into the web with the small section.  Can any one think of something that's finely abrasive but small enough to get in there?

Try rubbing it with a cotton bud with some toothpaste on it.  Toothpaste is very mildly abrasive and makes a brilliant job of cleaning the film that forms on shower bases etc (scrub with a nylon scrubbing brush).  No connection with toothpaste manufacturers now.  Only get free samples when we go to the dentist, since I retired!

Jim W

Archived