Dawlish storm from cab CCTV

pb_devon

Got an annoying 'answer a survey question to read this article' -so I'm not watching....

Sorry Rich, the Herald website is one of the worst of it's type.

However there is usually a 'skip' option to avoid the survey.

Edited by pb_devon

I didn't get the questionnaire.... Straight into the Video.

Do they have something like 'Rainexe' on the cab windows, rather than wipers.

Post WW1 is outside my period of interest of railways.

• Like 1

That has to be the worst website ever for adverts, three times I had to refresh the page haha. Finally managed to watch the vid tho and that is really interesting to see from the drivers point of view, so thank you.

You want to be sat in the cab when it gets hit, its a bit 'noisy' and rather off putting the first time it happens but you do get used to it eventually.

• Like 1

Got an annoying 'answer a survey question to read this article' -so I'm not watching....

I have just clicked on the link and Add block plus is showing 51 adverts blocked, 51 on that one page. :O

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Gold

Very interesting to watch. I don't recall actually cab riding during such conditions myself during all the years that I was working there.

Is it just me, though, or does anyone think that the footage is just a slight tad speeded up?

• RMweb Gold

Very interesting to watch. I don't recall actually cab riding during such conditions myself during all the years that I was working there.

Is it just me, though, or does anyone think that the footage is just a slight tad speeded up?

I thought the apparent speed was more to do with a fairly wide angle view, but I may be mistaken.

• RMweb Premium

Certainly looked speeded up. I would guess by 1.5x 

• 2 weeks later...

According to the Evening Herald a train was terminated at Newton Abbot with a smashed windscreen this week after a pebble hit it on the sea wall. The pebble was picked up by a wave. It is surprising that this hasn't happened more often. I remember from my Secondman days that it was a scary experience crewing a Western in heavy seas on the Dawlish stretch. Always felt those windows were just too big!

• RMweb Gold

Doesn't look really bad though. The train doesn't seem to have stopped at the Warren to pick up PWay. From memory of last winter it can be a bit hairier than this.

That sequence of waves coming over is nothing, really. The train wasn't operating under Level 1 conditions, so there would have been no need for the PW.

• 3 years later...