BRM Hattons article

Shroomy

May open myself up here but oh well

I've enjoyed reading BRM over the last 12 months to the point where I've just become a subscriber

But I must say I feel very disapointed to receive my first magazine in the subscribtion and read five pages of back slapping and self congratulating on hattons who to be honest in my opinion seem to be losing the path on model railways

Their order dispatch is not great (unless you pay a premium)

Their prices are not always the best anymore

Their customer service is good I must say

But to be honest if I want to know how a company is I would ask real people and never rely on a magazine review

All in all I feel disapointed with the article shoot me if you want to

I have not been to Hattons for over 12 months now since they moved from a high street shop to having a retail area in a warehouse unit on an out of town industrial estate not accessible on foot or by public transport. Previous to that I used to go a few times a month, always coming out with something.

As I purchased almost all of my railway items from Hattons it has saved me quite a lot of money and I am making more use of what I have stockpiled over the years.

I wonder what their passing trade is like since they moved.

My only deaings with Hattons has been their web shop, as I live in Spain. Great prices, great service. 

Moving out of the traditional shop to a larger place, especially out of the high street, will obviously change the relationship with face-to-face customers, but we live in different world now. I imagine most of their business comes through the web.

Since they abandoned their policy of honouring pre-order prices (I understand the necessity, even if I regret it), I have had little reason to buy from Hattons. My local model shop does similar prices, especially as I can save myself P&P. And all other things being equal, I would rather support a local business. Having a model shop close to home is great when you need a fresh bag of ballast at half-past four on a saturday afternoon. ;)

My issue is not with hattons or their service be it good or bad

It was the fact that BRM devoted 5 pages to a SHOP and they are nothing more when they could have written far more interesting things which I certainly would have preferred over how well a shop is doing

• RMweb Premium

My issue is not with hattons or their service be it good or bad

It was the fact that BRM devoted 5 pages to a SHOP and they are nothing more when they could have written far more interesting things which I certainly would have preferred over how well a shop is doing

Sorry don't agree there are many new modellers joining the hobby that perhaps would not be aware of the service Hattons and other web based organisations can offer.

I would always where possible use my local model shop (Topp Trains in Stafford) but many Modelers in the U.K. dont have a local model shops, so I feel BRM are justified in a in depth article on Hattons or any other business or supplier

Terry

• Administrators

For many modellers, Hattons IS model railway shopping so looking behind the scenes will be of great interest. Looking behind the scenes can be fun, this is a verty different setup from my local model shop and most others.

They are also more than just a shop now and the article covers the move into being a manufacturer by working directly with Chinese factories - quite a move.

As one of our biggest retailers, it's also interesting to see how they view the future of the hobby and I'm sure there will be people on here who will disagree with them, but then that's what forums are for.

We've published a number of interviews with other manufacturers and retailers and there are more lined up looking at businesses of all sizes. How interesting these are to any individual is always a matter of luck, we'll do our best but you can't please all the people all the time!

• Administrators

My local model shop, small enough to fit into one of Hatton's cabinets, received 2 pages of coverage. Parliamentary Trains, makers of 7mm scale pre-grouping kits got 3. Article length is determined by lots of things - content, space available etc. These aren't paid for pieces and these two certainly aren't big advertisers.

I've got a couple more lined up - a bespoke baseboard maker and a 3D print to lost wax casting firm - the later coming out of a fascinating tour of the facilities. I think (hope?) they will be interesting for readers but can understand that Hattons may be more relevant to many people than someone explaining how they make stuff.

As I say, you can't please all of the people all of the time. What real data there is suggests lots more layout articles might help sales but there's nothing definite. We can be sure that too many layouts will generate "Why are there so many layout articles they all sound the same I want more practical stuff" posts. On the other hand, when we do practical stuff it's "I want more layout photos I'm not going to make things".  Everyone's idea of "far more interesting things" is different - although suggestions are always appreciated.

The trade are essential to our hobby and we are lucky in that none of the people selling stuff to us is a faceless corporation. Most of them turn up at shows so you can chat. With the cottage industries, you can often speak to the bloke who makes the stuff you are buying. If you can't get to meet these people, then the second best thing is an interview in a magazine. If we do our bit, then you get a interesting and informative read.

My local model shop, small enough to fit into one of Hatton's cabinets, received 2 pages of coverage. Parliamentary Trains, makers of 7mm scale pre-grouping kits got 3. Article length is determined by lots of things - content, space available etc. These aren't paid for pieces and these two certainly aren't big advertisers.

I've got a couple more lined up - a bespoke baseboard maker and a 3D print to lost wax casting firm - the later coming out of a fascinating tour of the facilities. I think (hope?) they will be interesting for readers but can understand that Hattons may be more relevant to many people than someone explaining how they make stuff.

As I say, you can't please all of the people all of the time. What real data there is suggests lots more layout articles might help sales but there's nothing definite. We can be sure that too many layouts will generate "Why are there so many layout articles they all sound the same I want more practical stuff" posts. On the other hand, when we do practical stuff it's "I want more layout photos I'm not going to make things".  Everyone's idea of "far more interesting things" is different - although suggestions are always appreciated.

The trade are essential to our hobby and we are lucky in that none of the people selling stuff to us is a faceless corporation. Most of them turn up at shows so you can chat. With the cottage industries, you can often speak to the bloke who makes the stuff you are buying. If you can't get to meet these people, then the second best thing is an interview in a magazine. If we do our bit, then you get a interesting and informative reatd.

Phil I agree with a lot of what you say lost wax casting sounds very interesting

3D printing even more so

And you are right you can't please all the people all the time

I was just airing my opinion as a first time subscriber if you don't get criticism how can you improve

I don't have an issue with hattons I just thought in my own mind 5 pages was a bit excessive that was all

My copy of BRM lies unopened in a pile while I get around to reading it and others. So though I can't comment directly on the article specifically I have to say on the face of it, five pages devoted to one supplier (regardless of size or stature) seems more than overkill. If anyone buys a railway modelling magazine just to read about suppliers I would be very surprised. Tell me if I'm wrong by all means but I buy a railway modelling magazine to read about...........................railway modelling (or how to build and run a model railway for myself) ......surprised? Well if you are then either you or I am probably on the wrong forum. BRM is not alone in devoting 2/3rds of it's pages to supplier adverts, which is fine as that is what really pays for it's production, not our miserly subscription fees (joke). So to "waste" a further 5 pages on any one supplier is a failing IMHO to their readership.

The trade are essential to our hobby and we are lucky in that none of the people selling stuff to us is a faceless corporation. Most of them turn up at shows so you can chat. With the cottage industries, you can often speak to the bloke who makes the stuff you are buying. If you can't get to meet these people, then the second best thing is an interview in a magazine. If we do our bit, then you get a interesting and informative read.

Phil.....gets my vote anyway!

Archived