Darstaed Mk1 coaches for 7mm.

RandyWales

I tried around my 40 in radius curves in close couple formation with the corridor connections fully joined up and they did not like it. But I think it’s a problem with the coupling not being able to extend enough to cope with the tightness of the curve. I need to experiment more. With the coupling in the mid position. They are in the outer position so the corridor connections don’t close up on mine so they can go around the tight curve that runs off out into the fiddle yard.

Just having a search of my files and I came up with a collection of underframe pictures.  I also came across an article by Darren Sherwood-Jones in Model Rail from March 2009 entitled " Ultimate Mk 1 ".  The article discusses the construction of the MMP kit.  A useful resource for anyone wanting to detail their coaches.

Happy to share but we'll have to do it via PM.

I have a curve from the main layout to the fiddle yard that is 4' 6" rad.  Just finished the wiring yesterday and I was having a play.  The Dapol autocoach is happy to be propelled around this at speed without buffer lock.

John

The coaches go around my 40'' radius curves as long as they are not close coupled with the corridor connections joined up. They go forwards and backwards no problems.

As I said when I get chance I will move the couplings into the mid position which will close the gap up between the corridor connections a bit. Then retest.

I tried around my 40 in radius curves in close couple formation with the corridor connections fully joined up and they did not like it. But I think it’s a problem with the coupling not being able to extend enough to cope with the tightness of the curve. I need to experiment more. With the coupling in the mid position. They are in the outer position so the corridor connections don’t close up on mine so they can go around the tight curve that runs off out into the fiddle yard.

Thanks TTG,

My minimum radius is 5' 6"-6', so hopefully okay, but my GUV and Period III Stantier has some noises from the flanges....

Ha ha apologies Two Tone Green, I told you my eyes where poor !!!!! Many thanks for answering the questions and many thanks for the photos.

Hi CME sorry for getting g you mixed up with TTG.

Best regards

Craig

Hi Craig,

No worries, on a phone, with no spell check, aging eyesight and LS dyslexia, Ive probably left a trail of confusing Posts on RMW LOL!

Just having a search of my files and I came up with a collection of underframe pictures. I also came across an article by Darren Sherwood-Jones in Model Rail from March 2009 entitled " Ultimate Mk 1 ". The article discusses the construction of the MMP kit. A useful resource for anyone wanting to detail their coaches.

Happy to share but we'll have to do it via PM.

I have a curve from the main layout to the fiddle yard that is 4' 6" rad. Just finished the wiring yesterday and I was having a play. The Dapol autocoach is happy to be propelled around this at speed without buffer lock.

John

Thanks John,

Yes DSJ article is an interesting one, very nice coach museum quality Id say.

Looking at TTGs cracking photos the battery boxes look a little wide/deep, but not noticable from most viewing angles....its been very useful viewing them, best RTR 7mm MK1s to date?

ATVB to all,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Not me I'm afraid. Using etched brass for the sides is a step in the right direction as I've never felt that plastic can ever be moulded thinly enough around the windows to effectively portray a Mk1 IMHO.

Ray.

Edited by Marshall5

So the outstanding question is, are any of you going to buy any.

Hi TTG, I must admit after seeing the pictures of your purchases I may well be tempted, I think they offer great value for money, as noted on here and other forums there have been a few differing opinions on the level of detail and accuracy of these coaches, but it is definitely a case of horses for courses, below is how I must mull over my decision of having a 3 or 4 coach train in Blue Grey livery

1: Do I order 3 x super dooper detailed MMP kits @ £253 per coach and risk shuffling off this mortal coil before I'd even get 25% of the way through building one coach, never mind x 3 of them, Kudos to those that do as they are a stunning model that in truth nothing comes anywhere near to with regards to finescale detail that are just an accurate scaled down version of the real thing.

2: Do I buy 3 or 4 Easybuild coach kits, and put them in the works queue along with the numerous Easybuild DMU kits that I have to build, along with a layout, hand built track, etc, etc, etc, etc.

3: Do I wait for Dapol / Lionheart's offering, which will be released whenever ? I will be after the later refurbished styled windows, so that put's those coaches even further back I would presume, but there is doubt of holding out for the Dapol / Lionheart offerings as one would assume their detailing would/ should be lifted to the next level.

4: From the pictures I have seen, I have to say they win hands down over the Heljan MK1's in almost every department of the model.

It's a bit of a quandary that I would imagine a few other modellers at with at the moment, sometimes life is too short to try and build everything, and if you want a decent looking set of coaches that look like Mk1 coaches then I think these Darstead ones tick the boxes.

Best regards

Craig.

Good reply Craig.

They do tick the boxes for me and I don’t have time to build Mk1’s.

I am spending too much time building buildings so the ability to buy and instantly run some Mk1’s is a big plus.

Edited by two tone green
  • Like 1

Craig,

The perfect is the enemy of the good...

Buy ‘em, enjoy ‘em

Best

Simon

Exactly Simon, you are bang on there, sometimes there is too much discussion on how far detail should be done by modellers to the manufacturers, I thought I would put down my thoughts in how to try a make a balanced decision on what options are out there.

Also I would like to add hats off to Andries from Darstead for coming on this Forum and others such as the GOG forum and listening to People's opinions and ideas, and for his open and honest replies and explanations on the decisions etc during manufacturing process of these models, and future improvements.

Best regards

Craig.

Not me I'm afraid. Using etched brass for the sides is a step in the right direction as I've never felt that plastic can never be moulded thinly enough around the windows to effectively portray a Mk1 IMHO.

Ray.

By and large I agree Ray, the tumblehomes on my heavily modified Limas is good, but I have to par down the window reveals. Etched brass is good as long as the door shut gaps are nicely defined and sometimes it's hard to get the tumblehomes right with brass sides too and funnily enough with brass sides even they cant be fully flush-glazed either.....

Hi TTG, I must admit after seeing the pictures of your purchases I may well be tempted, I think they offer great value for money, as noted on here and other forums there have been a few differing opinions on the level of detail and accuracy of these coaches, but it is definitely a case of horses for courses, below is how I must mull over my decision of having a 3 or 4 coach train in Blue Grey livery

1: Do I order 3 x super dooper detailed MMP kits @ £253 per coach and risk shuffling off this mortal coil before I'd even get 25% of the way through building one coach, never mind x 3 of them, Kudos to those that do as they are a stunning model that in truth nothing comes anywhere near to with regards to finescale detail that are just an accurate scaled down version of the real thing.

2: Do I buy 3 or 4 Easybuild coach kits, and put them in the works queue along with the numerous Easybuild DMU kits that I have to build, along with a layout, hand built track, etc, etc, etc, etc.

3: Do I wait for Dapol / Lionheart's offering, which will be released whenever ? I will be after the later refurbished styled windows, so that put's those coaches even further back I would presume, but there is doubt of holding out for the Dapol / Lionheart offerings as one would assume their detailing would/ should be lifted to the next level.

4: From the pictures I have seen, I have to say they win hands down over the Heljan MK1's in almost every department of the model.

It's a bit of a quandary that I would imagine a few other modellers at with at the moment, sometimes life is too short to try and build everything, and if you want a decent looking set of coaches that look like Mk1 coaches then I think these Darstead ones tick the boxes.

Best regards

Craig.

Hi Craig,

Similar thoughts as mine, time, age, life, eyesight etc etc. where does it all go? Id love the MMPs, they are the best IMHHO, didnt DSJs take 50 hours to build just the bogies on his coach (singular), great fun if that is all that you have to build. The EZ Builds are very good, not perfect, but nice coaches can be had, same with JLTRT's too....Coaches are akin to loco building AFAIC, especially ones with lots of door furniture....Dapol? See the comments on the HAA/HEA thread.....and the 08 thread and.......itlll take time, if Richard Webster is involved Im sure that they will look nice but as Ray says, how will Dapol tackle the window reveals and will the glazing end up being 'prismatic'?.........

Good reply Craig.

They do tuck the boxes for me and I don’t have time to build Mk1’s.

I am spending too much time building buildings so the ability to buy and instantly run some Mk1’s is a big plus.

That is the bonus.....RTR, I could be tempted with a BG set....even though I plough on with coach building when the mood takes me...

ATVB

CME

• Like 1

Exactly Simon, you are bang on there, sometimes there is too much discussion on how far detail should be done by modellers to the manufacturers, I thought I would put down my thoughts in how to try a make a balanced decision on what options are out there.

Also I would like to add hats off to Andries from Darstead for coming on this Forum and others such as the GOG forum and listening to People's opinions and ideas, and for his open and honest replies and explanations on the decisions etc during manufacturing process of these models, and future improvements.

Best regards

Craig.

Good to share thoughts Craig, many are like minded here I suspect.

Andries has listened and that is refreshing, lets face it the relationship between manufacturer, retail and trade customers et al should be almost symbiotic, that way we all get close to the ideal. It is nice to see this thread has had a nice two way conversation and continuous improvement in terms of EP development before it's too late to change.

Seems to be that a decent RTR 7mm MK1 has been a long time coming.

Do we know that any issues with the positioning of doors and windows on the Brakes have been corrected and that, Eg. all the roof vents are correct and correctly positioned etc etc?

BTW are they easy to get into, for detailing and passengers?

ATVB

CME

• Like 1

Craig has it right when it comes to kits like MMP.  (I tried to build a MMP mineral wagon chassis but realised I was out of my depth.  I built the body OK but used a (gasp, choke!) Peco chassis to complete the wagon).  You get to a certain age and realise there isn't enough time left.  I bought some Kirk Gresley parts packs when I started out.  In hindsight I might have done better with something else.  The Kemilway Gresley kits seem to be similar to MMP in level of detail.  I discovered that Kemilway instructions are available to download so my compromise is to add details to my Kirk coaches as gleaned from Kemilway. (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/116068-ian-kirk-7mm-gresley-52-6-corridor-coaches/)

My approach to the Darstaetd/Dapol coaches would be to add the detail I think is necessary to make me happy.

John

• Like 2

Can I just ask/confirm - so these new Mk1's have Kaddee's fitted to each end.

Sounds good but can someone enlighten me - how to you couple a loco - do you have to change the couplings yourself on one end say? Are these provided or do you have to source that yourself?

I have often thought it was a shame you couldn't somehow directly couple a loco with standard couplings onto a Kaddee (if say the Kaddee had a special hook added somehow?) - to hook the screw link over.

Maybe someone can enlighten me.

The coaches look pretty good to me although I would like to see a Blue/Grey version if anyone has any phtotos assuming these are out yet?

Thanks in advance.

Deltic17

Good points from both previous Posters. Im sorry I cant answer the question on KDs.....I dont use them, its a great question though!

I also forgot to mention earlier the RTR coaches by Peter Cowling, a little pricier than mass produced RTR and his order books are always fall-Im not sure if he needs to take on anyone else. Nice coaches though.

ATVB

CME

Good question Deltic.  I'm building a pair of Gresleys which also use knuckle couplers within rakes, so I shall use Kadees.  For the ends, I plan to install coupling hooks and attach dummy knuckles to the shanks in the down position.  There is no screw coupler attached to the hook.  In TTGs pics the buffers appear to be extended on ends with Kadees - they should be retracted I think.

John

There are hooks etc available from Darstead if you want them on the coaches.

I use Kadees as I don’t want the hand of god on my layout. I am a non believer. Also some areas are difficult to get to using three link etc is a non starter.

The blue grey Mk1’s are not out yet.

Can I just ask/confirm - so these new Mk1's have Kaddee's fitted to each end.

Sounds good but can someone enlighten me - how to you couple a loco - do you have to change the couplings yourself on one end say? Are these provided or do you have to source that yourself?

I have often thought it was a shame you couldn't somehow directly couple a loco with standard couplings onto a Kaddee (if say the Kaddee had a special hook added somehow?) - to hook the screw link over.

Maybe someone can enlighten me.

The coaches look pretty good to me although I would like to see a Blue/Grey version if anyone has any phtotos assuming these are out yet?

Thanks in advance.

Deltic17

As I have an Eye condition I am fitting "Kadee's " to all my stock including Locomotives.I think that is the easiest solution for you.

Here are some pictures taken by Robin Mchugh and placed on the GOG forum, they show the coach fitted with a Kadee, but I am unsure whether who has fitted the KD as it doesn't say in the article.

But hopefully the pictures will help to give people a clearer idea of what you are getting for your money.

Best regards

Craig.

wp_20180117_21_27_33_pro-jpg.6454wp_20180117_12_08_56_pro-jpg.6449

Edited by muddys-blues

I've transfered the 3 pictures from the GOG site:

post-14906-0-77693600-1517738237_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-77222900-1517738245_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-09909000-1517738253_thumb.jpg

Jinty ;)

Edited to say that I've just seen Craig's pictures are now visible!!!!!! Doh!!! Right off on Holibobs!!!   ;)

Edited by Jintyman

Good question Deltic.  I'm building a pair of Gresleys which also use knuckle couplers within rakes, so I shall use Kadees.  For the ends, I plan to install coupling hooks and attach dummy knuckles to the shanks in the down position.  There is no screw coupler attached to the hook.  In TTGs pics the buffers appear to be extended on ends with Kadees - they should be retracted I think.

John

Hi John, yes buffers should be short/chained. Buckeyes between coaches and screwlinks between loco and coach....  

There are hooks etc available from Darstead if you want them on the coaches.

I use Kadees as I don’t want the hand of god on my layout. I am a non believer. Also some areas are difficult to get to using three link etc is a non starter.

The blue grey Mk1’s are not out yet.

I cant see the BGs listed yet, I empathise re couplings, Im using magnetic type and TLs... 

I've transfered the 3 pictures from the GOG site:

attachicon.gifDarstead 01.jpg

attachicon.gifDarstead 02.jpg

attachicon.gifDarstead 03.jpg

Jinty ;)

Edited to say that I've just seen Craig's pictures are now visible!!!!!! Doh!!! Right off on Holibobs!!!   ;)

I could only view yours Jinty.....so thanks!

ATVB

CME