Ladders for Bachmann Class 08

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know a source of replacement / etched nose end ladders for a OO Bachmann 08.

My chosen prototype for the period i'm modelling still has ladders present.

I've been searching round the Internet to no avail.

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know a source of replacement / etched nose end ladders for a OO Bachmann 08.

My chosen prototype for the period i'm modelling still has ladders present.

I've been searching round the Internet to no avail.

I faced the same problem a year or so ago. Eventually I made some up from brass wire. Drawn out to size on paper, covered with some D/S tape and the wire put down in place and the joints run over with the iron. I think I used around 0.45/0.5mm but it might be 0.7mm. Then removed and bent to shape as needed to fit. Not brilliant by any means but better than no ladders. Perhaps you could consider doing the same.

post-12706-0-07163100-1486384959.jpg

Izzy

• RMweb Gold

I faced the same problem a year or so ago. Eventually I made some up from brass wire. Drawn out to size on paper, covered with some D/S tape and the wire put down in place and the joints run over with the iron. I think I used around 0.45/0.5mm but it might be 0.7mm. Then removed and bent to shape as needed to fit. Not brilliant by any means but better than no ladders. Perhaps you could consider doing the same.

RMweb ladders 01.jpg

Izzy

They look great. I have some 0.5mm brass wire already, so will have a go at making some myself, if nothing else crops up in the meantime. It not something i'm going to rush to do, but will be something that will niggle at the back of my mind until I do do them. Thanks.

• RMweb Premium

I have been searching for a drawing of the ladders to try and get some etched, but I've not been able to find one yet. Jim Smith-Wright used the Colin Craig (now Stenson Models) etched ladder and curved it to suit.

I used the drawings out of British Rail Fleet Survey No 7 Diesel Shunters, Brian Haresnape / Ian Allan  - ISBN 0 7110 1449 3 - scanned and reproduced to 4mm. There are drawings of all the diesel shunters in it. Not large scale reproductions, but mostly good enough for general modelling purposes, especially alongside the photos.

Izzy

Archived