Graffiti 70s style

Hi

I'm building an early 1970s layout and added a few bits including the wills outside toilet kit! I'm after some bog wall graffiti!

Being around in the 70's I'm strictly nostalgic, rail blue and the odd touch of pre-tops green with themed surroundings! What I'm trying to do is add some 70s slogans and graffiti.

Obviously a lot of stuff painted on walls back then isn't politically correct or acceptable now but many will know what I'm talking about; abbreviated 3 letter football clubs, angry brigade, the classic 'George Davis is innocent' etc, etc.

Anybody know any manufacturers who do anything like this or have spotted a gap in the market?Obviously people did paint/vandalise walls in the 70s but it was pre all that US orientated spray can stuff that pre-dates the era I'm working on.

Sent from my iPad

Almost exclusively white paint afaik. Should be able to do it yourself with a white ink gel pen.

CND

IRA

WOLVES

SPURS

MUFC

Yep,that's the type of stuff, but I haven't got a steady enough hand lol. My efforts always look pretty unconvincing lol

"Pay the Firemen" was daubed on a stone wall between Bury & Radcliffe in the big strike of the mid - late 70's when all the Green Goddesses where used, it was at one of the small lodges by the line side, it was there for many years.

Almost exclusively white paint afaik. Should be able to do it yourself with a white ink gel pen.

CND

IRA

WOLVES

SPURS

MUFC

I can remember HANG IRA appearing, which is probably easy to date, but somebody in the Basingstoke area was obviously a fan as there were several postings of SAHB.

depending on where abouts in the country you are modelling would give you the local football club such as yorkshire would have LUFC, SUFC, SWFC or BCFC, lancashire would be MUFC, MCFC, LFC or EFC and so on.

You may also have found "Kilroy was ere".

You would have found several localised slogans about strikes as strikes were a regular occurance around that time, so if you've got some industry modelled on your layout you could put a slogan supporting striking workers.

As you say, white paint.

I remember lots of swastikas at that time

Usually painted wrong. You could tell that the painters never built Airfix kits. Funnily enough you don't get the swastikas in those anymore.

Don't forget bands as well. Think of the bands the lads liked that are relevant to the era. Obviously it's pre Punk. But I'm thinking bands like Slade, Status Quo, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, ELP. The Who. etc.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

depending on where abouts in the country you are modelling would give you the local football club such as yorkshire would have LUFC, SUFC, SWFC or BCFC, lancashire would be MUFC, MCFC, LFC or EFC and so on.

You may also have found "Kilroy was ere".

You would have found several localised slogans about strikes as strikes were a regular occurance around that time, so if you've got some industry modelled on your layout you could put a slogan supporting striking workers.

Kilroy WOZ 'ere.  And football initials should be suffixed with 'Rule OK'.  West of Offa's Dyke; 'Free Wales (with every four gallons), and, 'please flush, England needs the water'.

• RMweb Premium

Google images suggests a surprising amount of black on white graffiti: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=british+1970s+graffiti&tbm=isch.

But this is all fairly large scale outdoor stuff. Most bog wall scrawlings would be illegibly tiny at model scales, apart from some of the anatomical illustrations which were often enlarged for clarity.

There was HAPPY NEW YEAR in white paint somewhere round Lewisham/Blackheath into the early 80s, which disappeared in spring/summer/autumn as the lineside greenery grew up, and then appeared again in the winter. Now that's creative (if it was intentional!)

Yep,that's the type of stuff, but I haven't got a steady enough hand lol. My efforts always look pretty unconvincing lol

Most of the graffiti was very poorly executed, especially the stuff large enough to be legible in 4mm scale, so I would say you are bob on there!

A prize specimen that I saw regularly in the 1970s- as I recall its very sloppy rendering, but with name changed to protect reputation - was:

SHARN HARIS

IS A GO0D FUCK

Second in humour only to the Hatfield Polytechnic's celebrated paean to 'the wold's greatest living shiite' in  the late 1970s

And don't forget the CND cowardly chicken footprint symbol, Che Lives! and hammer and sickle motif as counterpoints to the NF stuff.

When did "Give Peas a chance" and "Make tea not war" appear?

1970s, At least once done in enduring quality too, a faded 'Give Peas a chance' is still on view.

Not in your time frame but there is a rail bridge in Market Harborough that has had the graffiti painted over using black paint sometime in the past.

Now due to the paint weathering the white painted slogan is starting to re-appear "Jobs not bombs, Thatcher out"

"Free George Davis" common in London, not sure about elsewhere. This was c1975, and the campaigners dug up the Yorkshire cricket ground before a test match, as well as covering London with graffiti.

"Shed Mob" (Chelsea I think)

"Eagles" (Crystal Palace I think) and "eagles sh1t on seagulls" (the latter being Brighton)

Millwall had one too, but, try as I might ......

"ANL" anti nazi league, maybe from about 1975.

"Black and white unite and fight" (...... to smash the national front)

Depending upon exact date, you could have petrol pumps closed, fire brigade on strike, the three day week ....,,

Slightly later, grunwick-related graffiti.

Anything involving football violence, racism, anti-racism, CND, strikes (for and against!), IRA (for and against) really ....... marvellous times!

K

Archived