Clipboard Foamcore Technique : Alive and well

Prof Klyzlr

It's a great concept, and very cheap to do.

I have an N scale foamboard layout I've been working on for a long while on and off. I'm tempted to carry on with it once the two show's I am at in March are over and I can relax. :)

I drew the original article diagrams so let me know if you need a copy - send me a PM with your email addy - FWIW it also works with Homasote (hardboard) and MDF - it should also work with ply but I haven't tried it.

Yes please Shortliner.

Do you know what thickness foam board was used?

Gordon A

you could almost make that in O gauge, mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

Do it do it do it do it..... :yes: :jester:

I guess that our Brethren Across the Pond aren't so familiar with the idea of portable layouts that quickly set up & break down in the first place, apart maybe from 'N-Trak'-type modular systems. Maybe this might seem quite a novel idea to most of them?

I noticed on the letters page of the New RM this morning, someone ( one Jim Aitken) asking for info on building lightweight base-boards - if it didn't take so long to get an answer printed - I'd refer him to my offer - they really don't come any lighter!

PS - If anyone knows him, point him in my direction, please!

I guess that our Brethren Across the Pond aren't so familiar with the idea of portable layouts that quickly set up & break down in the first place, apart maybe from 'N-Trak'-type modular systems. Maybe this might seem quite a novel idea to most of them?

I have a 24 x24 ft space in the basement.  Why would I need to take the layout down quickly?

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks jack for your trouble .At present Hobbycraft have 3 footers at 4 for a tenner.

Having used a lot of these A1 foamcore sheets could I just advise caution with gluing these together?  Fine if you just glue at the edges, but if you coat one side with glue, PVA etc, they bend like crazy.

cheers,

Izzy

• RMweb Gold

I drew the original article diagrams so let me know if you need a copy - send me a PM with your email addy - FWIW it also works with Homasote (hardboard) and MDF - it should also work with ply but I haven't tried it.

Hello Jack,

Scottish Modellers are doing foamcore baseboards as one of our demos at Modelrail Scotland this year.

Can I have a copy of these diagrams to show people what we are doing?

Thanks

Blatent Plug.......

Modelrail Scotland - 11 days to wait for the show to start!

Do it do it do it do it..... :yes: :jester:

*waves*

I'd reckon that a 15,000 square foot layout with 1,000 feet of double track main line that sets up in under three hours and knocks down in even less time qualifies as 'portable' so yeah, some of us ARE familiar with the idea :) :)

Archived