AutoCAD turnout library, N gauge.

Bit of a longshot this...but

Has anyone created a turnout library in N gauge for AutoCAD that they would be willing to share? I installed XtrackCAD last night and spent an hour or so watching tutorials and having a go but I think it's going to take while to learn it and tbh I'm not sure I have the time and patience to learn another CAD package when I'm already fully literate in AutoCAD.

So I'm hoping that someone has already done the dirty work of creating standard turnout blocks!

Hi..Ive not done N but OO, might be useful as a reference though.

A

Hey, that looks fantastic. I might have to ask you a few questions though as I'm a bit of a railway modelling novice!

I know how to utilise the turnout blocks but you've also drawn some templates of a variety of scaled curves and haven't the foggiest what they reference or how to use them. Maybe I'm being a bit dim? What do the numbers 450-1000 represent? Some of the track sections seem to be exact mirror images of the others and I wonder what was the reason for this - was it just for having handy inverts of the curves or was there another reason? Your insight would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

K

Hi...Theyre just pre made curves with the number as a centreline radii, and an easement to straight on the end.

The white easements allow me to swing the set radii to make non 90° turns.

Ive put a few notes on the drawing as well as some other noodlings I find useful.

Im a residential designer and spend too much time in Acad moving lines around to get what im after, but I hate curves that just start, cant beat an easement for a gentle change in direction.

Happy to add anything if I can.

A.

OO track.dwg

Thanks very much for your efforts. You actually inspired me to do an N-gauge version. I've downloaded the Peco code 55 and code 80 turnouts from their website and I'll start tracing them out in ACAD tomorrow at work (when I should be processing laser scan data :-)  - I'm a geospatial engineer). When done I will upload them here for others to (hopefully) benefit from. Unfortunately Peco doesn't seem to supply the curve drawings so I'll have to plot them manually from the dimensional info.

Easements are whole new world to me. I had never come across the term before I started browsing rmweb. Perhaps we know them under another name in the UK? 'Easements' sounds like US vernacular to me!

Cheers!

K

Archived