R3468 '603 Squadron' '34077' Battle of Britain Class - Rebuilt

adb968008

Due to the different factories I guess.

I too noticed that the shade of green was much more to my liking that other recent Hornby releases. Okehampton was an improvement on the slightly washed out green they use on GWR locos. I don't know if there is an intentional difference in these colours by Hornby, or if it just different factories or 'manufacturing tolerances' when mixing the paint? I wonder if they specify RAL or Pantone codes or similar?

The photo below shows my three most recent Hornby late crest green locos. It is only a phone camera image and slightly over-exposed but it does give a good impression of the difference between:

King Edward VIII R3332 (Factory Code SEN59)

Okehampton R3203 (Factory Code CHL01)

603 Squadron R3468 (Factory Code TEC05)

603 Squadron is probably my favourite colour, being similar to that used by Bachmann. Okehampton is the 'greenest' if that makes sense! Love all three of them though - even the paler green of the King.

post-7266-0-03113600-1487349315_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I too noticed that the shade of green was much more to my liking that other recent Hornby releases. Okehampton was an improvement on the slightly washed out green they use on GWR locos. I don't know if there is an intentional difference in these colours by Hornby, or if it just different factories or 'manufacturing tolerances' when mixing the paint? I wonder if they specify RAL or Pantone codes or similar?

The photo below shows my three most recent Hornby late crest green locos. It is only a phone camera image and slightly over-exposed but it does give a good impression of the difference between:

King Edward VIII R3332 (Factory Code SEN59)

Okehampton R3203 (Factory Code CHL01)

603 Squadron R3468 (Factory Code TEC05)

603 Squadron is probably my favourite colour, being similar to that used by Bachmann. Okehampton is the 'greenest' if that makes sense! Love all three of them though - even the paler green of the King.

attachicon.gifDSC_1051.jpg

34077 is certainly the closest to the colour as I remember it. You should send the photo to Hornby, or PM it to Islesy on here, and see what they say (and maybe lobby for 34077's colour). I certainly won't be buying anything in BR green that looks like the others. Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Gold

Got mine today from Hatton's.  However, try as I might I cannot get the tender body off to fit a decoder. There are two small screws at the back by the buffer beam but they seem to be wedged solid.  I had no problems with 34013 Okehampton last year.

Anyone else having problems?

EDIT: With further close inspection I can see the screw heads are turning.  But I can turn them ad infinitum in both directions.  This can only mean the screws have broken internally.  Looks like it's going back for a replacement.....

Just an update here.  Having failed to get the tender body off I returned it to Hatton's for a replacement.  No problems this time extracting the screws although one of them did have some glue on it which didn't prevent the body coming off. The body still had to be prised off which suggests there's some glue in the wrong place.

• RMweb Gold

Just an update here.  Having failed to get the tender body off I returned it to Hatton's for a replacement.  No problems this time extracting the screws although one of them did have some glue on it which didn't prevent the body coming off. The body still had to be prised off which suggests there's some glue in the wrong place.

I've found with all the Bulleid's with the decoder socket in the tender, that have come across my workbench - the tender bodies are a sod to take off. It's the redesigned tender weight that's causing the issue - it's an interference (tight for the non-engineers) fit!!!

OK I succumbed. Now to fit a decoder if the tender will allow me. And then the brake linkage although Mrs geoffers may do this to prevent the neighbours having to come around in order to complain about a loud-mouthed oik venting very rude spleen in colourful language. 

Now sorted though had to resort to levering the tender body off the tender chassis. It has left a little evidence. Mrs geoffers has done a nice job on refitting the bits that were broken off and fitting the brake linkage. Well pleased. Funny thing though - tested on DC ran well. Tested with DCC chip onboard before tender refitted and ran well. All put together now but has a limp (?????). My last Hornby Bulleid methinks as I cannot be bothered with this sort of hassle anymore.

I also have just purchased 603 squadron, there appears to be no chance of the tender body coming off the chassis,wasted a good 40 minutes without a glimpse of any daylight between them both.Screws were not a problem they came out easily, It will have to go back to the retailer to see if he or his help can prise the two apart.

.Did purchase a Silver A4 last year and had no problem getting the  tender off that though

• RMweb Gold

I also have just purchased 603 squadron, there appears to be no chance of the tender body coming off the chassis,wasted a good 40 minutes without a glimpse of any daylight between them both.Screws were not a problem they came out easily, It will have to go back to the retailer to see if he or his help can prise the two apart.

.Did purchase a Silver A4 last year and had no problem getting the  tender off that though

With my first one I couldn't get the screws out.  However they came out easily enough on the second but the tender was still stuck fast.  I eventually gave it a hefty pull and it shot off taking a couple of detail parts with it that need to be re-attached.  Otherwise no damage done. I did not have this problem with 34013 Okehampton a year ago - in fact it was the easiest DCC fit I think I've had for a long time.

Just hoping I don't have the same problem with my pre-ordered 35028 Clan Line, as I suspect dealers won't have replacements .....

• Like 1

With my first one I couldn't get the screws out.  However they came out easily enough on the second but the tender was still stuck fast.  I eventually gave it a hefty pull and it shot off taking a couple of detail parts with it that need to be re-attached.  Otherwise no damage done. I did not have this problem with 34013 Okehampton a year ago - in fact it was the easiest DCC fit I think I've had for a long time.

Just hoping I don't have the same problem with my pre-ordered 35028 Clan Line, as I suspect dealers won't have replacements .....

I purchased the very first "China" Clan Line had to hard wire the decoder into the Locomotive body, its been long gone now though [ as has the retailer ]   had good use out of it

Finally managed to get the tender top off, thanks to Clearwater's tip of releasing the back of the tender, I used a craft knife and managed to get enough leverage to insert the blade and run it across, it then with a little force came away, just a couple of steps to put back

We DCC fitted one for a customer. Remove the two screws at the rear of the tender. Look at the front end of the tender where the male female socket is and either side you'll see to clips. These need prising back with a small flat head screwdriver then the tender body comes off. Be careful though as the tender body won't come off completely as detailing parts go through it. All we did was spin the body out of the way, pop chip in, test and programme to desired number and then reassemble.

Had the same problem....trying to fit a decoder in a friends loco,managed to remove the screws but the body was stuck fast, took a while but got there with no damage....... :angry: