Carlisle Kingmore DRS Depot - Possible Layout?

Deltic Man

As a fan of the DRS group of locos I thought I would investigate the possibility of modelling the Kingsmore depot as I understand that this is now run by DRS?

I am asking if anyone has any track plans, photos or information I can use of the depot in it's current state?

I am also keen to know if people think this is a possibility in OO or will I have to use some modellors license due to the size??

Any thoughts are welcome

Cheers

Nik

Hi Nik,

Depending on the space you have available then Kingmoor is definately a possibility. Travelling down from Edinburgh to Oxenholme I pass it fairly frequently throughout the year and there is always something interesting to see on shed as you go past. The Tesco train use to pull in as well for fuel or a loco change as well but you would need a very large space to fit this in. You might need to compress the site in some way again how many DRS locos you have could be a factor in this. You can get a good idea of the layout as it is today by going on Google Earth - I have used this before for looking at my future planned layout as it gives you a good idea of the footprint of things and also the curves in the track which are not always obvious from photos taken at ground level. I am also a fan of DRS and have quite a collection including quite a few one off conversions with 3 more 37s due and the malcolm 66 as well so I would be interested to see how you get on with this one. Another option is Gresty Bridge - Rail Express did an article on this as a suitable layout plan back in July or August 2008 I think - it is the one with a Cross Country HST power car on the front so might be worth getting hold of a back issue. With the FNA's coming from Bachmann at some point that will be another easy addition as well for your layout.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi,

Kingmoor my depot has 4 shed roads capable of holding 3 47's each. Outside on the South end there are 9 sidings of varying length one with a ramp for loading. 2 of them also now have a a fenced area around for extra security. There are 2 through roads between the shed and the mainline with a X over halfway down. The road nearest the shed is also the fuel road.

Simple really.

Claggy

Archived