BRM appoints new ‘Managing Editor – Railways’

Andy Y

Andy IS the editor of BRM but BRM is now more than just a magazine

Maybe this is what confused me (from the Original Post)

Managing Editor across all of our titles within the Railways Portfolio

I had assumed that that meant that he is managing editor of all of the Railway magazines published by Warners Group.

If he is just dealing with BRM and its associated activities no doubt he will shortly make a personal appearance in this Thread to introduce himself.

...R

• RMweb Gold

I guess I'm wondering why he has not made a Post in this Thread himself.

no doubt he will shortly make a personal appearance in this Thread to introduce himself.

I don't quite see why the chap should post here if he's not inclined to. He is the editor of a magazine and not a modeller, what difference would it make if he did.

The only other Editor in the news is George Osborne so we should be grateful he didn't get this job.

• RMweb Gold

The only other Editor in the news is George Osborne so we should be grateful he didn't get this job.

I suspect a former Editor of The Spectator might also be in the news at the moment.

However, since this site is supposed to be a "politics free zone", I guess it might be better if I weren't to say too much more about either of these individuals.

Andy's certainly not keeping a conscious distance from RMweb; he's aware I've got a major project coming up brought about by software version changes and we're already discussing ways to develop RMweb, particularly the front end, to better integrate content between the mag and here and to give more people a reason to venture into RMweb. I've not yet launched a full on "what we could do is this, this, some of that, a bit of that and a whole load of this" assault on his sensibilities.

Andy's certainly not keeping a conscious distance from RMweb; he's aware I've got a major project coming up brought about by software version changes and we're already discussing ways to develop RMweb, particularly the front end, to better integrate content between the mag and here and to give more people a reason to venture into RMweb. I've not yet launched a full on "what we could do is this, this, some of that, a bit of that and a whole load of this" assault on his sensibilities.

Whilst I'm not 100% sure which other magazines are under Andy's overall editorship, I'd have thought there would be business logic in having a common IT platform for forums across the magazines. Even if not a single log in for all, I'd expect there to be some savings by having common coding even if the front end branding and "skin" is different.

Also, as has been mentioned above, hyperlinks within soft copy versions of magazines do drive clicks(I certainly follow ones in another modelling title). What would be smart is to drive links to rmweb from another magazine where there is something that would be of interest (e.g. a model of a particular prototype).

I for one don't see it as a disadvantage not to be seeped in modelling lore to edit a title. What you need are the skills to hone, challenge, refine etc and crucially make it profitable. Without the last point, it'll all become academic at some point.. warners is not, last time I checked, a charity..

David

Archived