Modelling a disused station platform or line

Thebaz

Has anyone done this? I don't mean modelling a 're-opened' version of a closed station I mean actually modelling the desolate weed-covered platforms and broken buildings etc.. I've never seen it, but I'd like to.  I am interested to include something like that on a model I have in my head. The idea would be say a former doubled-tracked station where the line has been singled, or an abandoned bay platform. I know some might consider it a waste of space (I'm not talking about modelling a whole scene without any railway in it because that would truly be a waste of time and space!), but it could look pretty cool if you got the modelling right. 

• RMweb Gold

These two pictures are of track that's no longer serving it's original purpose

The one with the drewry is supposed to represent a former branch that has only a short legnth left to serve the grain terminal

The other is supposed to be a disused spur to the docks.

As im hopefully going to start a new layout soon I hope to model a long scenic section with a former junction and possibly a closed station

post-9362-0-16729200-1486662788.jpg

post-9362-0-61791800-1486662798.jpg

• Like 14

Has anyone done this? I don't mean modelling a 're-opened' version of a closed station I mean actually modelling the desolate weed-covered platforms and broken buildings etc.. I've never seen it, but I'd like to.  I am interested to include something like that on a model I have in my head. The idea would be say a former doubled-tracked station where the line has been singled, or an abandoned bay platform. I know some might consider it a waste of space (I'm not talking about modelling a whole scene without any railway in it because that would truly be a waste of time and space!), but it could look pretty cool if you got the modelling right. 

If you go to my signature there is a link to my exhibition layout 'Sumatra Road' which features a semi derelict station which has two closed platforms, and the other two cut back to three car stops. The rest is weed strewn with the coping smashed off.

• Like 6

These two pictures are of track that's no longer serving it's original purpose

The one with the drewry is supposed to represent a former branch that has only a short legnth left to serve the grain terminal

The other is supposed to be a disused spur to the docks.

As im hopefully going to start a new layout soon I hope to model a long scenic section with a former junction and possibly a closed station

Nice, good ideas.

If you go to my signature there is a link to my exhibition layout 'Sumatra Road' which features a semi derelict station which has two closed platforms, and the other two cut back to three car stops. The rest is weed strewn with the coping smashed off.

I like the look of that too! Reminds me a bit of a cross between the main line platforms at Queens Park and the derelict remains of Highgate station on the former Northern heights branch.

Hi Baz,

Why not visit a real location which meets your description? It is easier to copy the real thing than a layout.

Where are you located? I am sure someone will be able to suggest somewhere.

Don't worry about that, I'm sad enough to have been to plenty! I have some ideas in my head, and of course there's also Google images... 

Cheers!

Here's a completely fictional example of a disused bay, where a modern platform extension has been built across the alignment of the former trackbed. No idea how prototypical this might be, but it did make for a pleasing scenic feature.

post-17811-0-25932400-1486713320.jpg

post-17811-0-43885200-1486713321.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 months later...

We have made rather a habit of producing just such layouts. I have attached some photos below, and there are some threads around on RMweb, although I have a feeling some of them are on the old version and may not have made it onto this current incarnation of the forum

post-8704-0-14807400-1493049468.jpg

post-8704-0-78495700-1493049470.jpg

Two views of Sidney Street, our old exhibition layout. A truncated east end branch line with the station site in use as the run-round and van siding for the goods yard which took wagons via the hoist behind the platform into the low level yard.

post-8704-0-23545100-1493049595_thumb.jpg

This is Limehouse Fields, the intermediate station on the Mile End Gate branch on the latest incarnation of Harford Street.

post-8704-0-46033900-1493049850_thumb.jpg

Finally, this is my little 6' HO shunty layout, Rue Sidi Brahim. Similar concept to Sidney Street (Whence came the inspiration for the name!) with the station site in use as the headshunt for the connection to the Metro depot at street level.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 1 year later...

Imagining a layout composed entirely of a very well modelled stretch of disused railway with no track whatsoever just birdsong playing on a loop and whatever use/ disuse the infrastructure has fallen into! 

Would be esoteric but but also quite sad and poignant. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/02/2019 at 07:45, Oldddudders said:

Back in the ‘50s, Alan Smith had a closed line on his Lydney Branch layout, which I think was TT Scale. This was before Dr Beeching got anywhere near British Railways. 

Was that the same as Lydney Town that i saw in the early 70`s.

Now that was a cracking layout.

I had a go at this for one of my Cakebox Challenge entries last year, part of a station with one track taken up and the platform out of use, the other side with a limited life expectancy...

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135308-well-all-go-together/

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, Rick_Skateboard said:

Shwt has a really good disused station.

Thanks Rick, we wanted to do a really run down section of line. Originally a double track line which was then reduced down to single line and then truncated at the crossing. Both the platforms are disused as there are no longer any passenger trains

26EA91DC-0D19-429B-A58D-AB18DB5A2584.jpeg.0ea3247bbd292bc7c7accd522ce8e38a.jpeg

826EFB2B-2C69-4EE5-990E-3F2EFBEE3D8A.jpeg.3ef19987324491eebbec36db4d68ff01.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 3 years later...