South Notts Show 2017

Les1952

• 3 weeks later...

Layouts confirmed, seventeen in total.

Burton Parva  by Martyn Sharrock  (BR blue N)

Bridgford  by Alastair Knox  ( LMS N)

Tamaro  by Hugh Griffiths  (Swiss N)

Victoria Road MPD  by Bill Mossop   (second outing) (BR blue)

Odstock  by Roger Hobson  (first outing in the Midlands) (current day preservation)

Annston  by Paul Butler (1990s N)

Welham Yard by Shaun Greet  (1970s OO)

North Star Tramway by Malcom Keyzer  (Blackpool trams)

Harrowby Hill MPD by Phil Mason (new layout, LNER OO)

Woodcroft by Market Deeping MRC  ( Great Northern Railway, EM)

Schusselwert by Sam Boote (prewar German N)

The Bridge by Doug Kightley (present day Forth Bridge, T gauge)

Radford Mill by Elezabethan Railway Society  (LMS OO)

Malmesbury by the late Chris Burch (exhibited by Syston MRS in his memory, 1930s GWR N)

Deesdale Road by Peter Bayley Bligh  (blue to EWS OO)

Triang Traditional by Nick Gillman ( nostalgia for Triang trains)

No Place by Les Richardson (1970 industrial OO)

No Place is a substitution for a layout that has had to drop out.

Demonstration - Woodthorpe Cardboard Works, loco building in O.

Traders to follow.

Les

Look out for fliers.  As last year we've put a £1 discount voucher on them.

For info we got 157 of these back last year so 157 people got £1 off.  Of these about half said they were new to the show and many of these said that the £1 off meant they got in for £3 rather than £4 which made the difference between coming or not (i.e. attracting senior citizens who wouldn't otherwise have come..  We reckon the vouchers were cost neutral.  We also gave out 47 goody bags containing a couple of recent railway modelling magazines and a modelling DVD to children who were old enough to read the mags - a way of getting rid of the club's surplus BRMs etc while 

HOWEVER as we asked everyone using a voucher to write a name and where they had come from we gained a lot of valuable information.  In particular we discovered that nobody at all came from the next village (target marketing next year), and more people travelled THROUGH Nottingham to get to the show than travelled FROM Nottingham, confirming a belief that people from Nottingham in general don't support events going on outside the city - the "bandit country" syndrome (Robin Hood is from Nottinghamshire, not Nottingham).  As to names, it wouldn't have bothered us if everyone had claimed to be Mickey Mouse or Daffy Duck.

Hopefully by targeting the publicity a little better we can increase the footfall again. 

We also gave out 47 goody bags containing a couple of recent railway modelling magazines and a modelling DVD to children who were old enough to read the mags - a way of getting rid of the club's surplus BRMs etc while encouraging youngsters into the hobby.  I'm hoping this year Book Law will provide the bags for us to repeat the exercise.

The venue has now finished making the roof leak proof and brighter lighting is being added, the latter piecemeal as funds are available.  Since the pit closed the Welfare is a community centre run as a charity.

Come along and see us- April 22nd and 23rd - the weekend after Easter.

Les

Edited by Les1952

• 2 weeks later...

Update

No Place now not going as I've filled the slot.  No Place goes back into reserve in case someone else drops out.

FENNY HILL by Robin Sharman will be coming instead.

I'm delighted to be told Ian Wigglesworth thinks he will be fit enough to bring his new Thomas layout.  Jim Ross has agreed to act as lord high stand-in if Ian isn't fit and to operate the layout for him.

That gives us 18 layouts, two more than advertised.....

And a pic of Malmesbury, taken at Chris's last Autumn while he was teaching me how to operate it.

post-13358-0-44974300-1489447737_thumb.jpg

Les

• Like 1

It's a friendly show but has no 0 gauge/7mm scale so appeal a bit limited for me.

Dava

Difficult to find 7mm layouts that will fit our rooms.  The longest space we have is up 3 flights of stairs.   

We do have John Fownes demonstrating the art of loco building in 7mm.  We had his layout last year, and I've got a couple of feelers out for next year.  Hopefully more will materialise.  I'm always on the lookout for them.

Les

• Like 1

Travel to Cotgrave

For those coming by public transport-

Trent Barton's "Cotgrave Connection" bus from Nottingham stops outside Nottingham Midland Station.  On Saturday there is a bus every 20 minutes from 6.48am to 4.48pm then approximately half-hourly until 11pm.   On Sunday it runs hourly at 28 mins past the hour from Broad Marsh Bus Station, buses back being just after a quarter to each hour.

Bus stop is right outside the Welfare - ask either for Cotgrave Welfare" or "Cotgrave Park and Ride" which is the same place.

Satnav is NG12 3PJ, which will take you to the Leisure Centre immediately opposite.

Les

Edited by Les1952

Traders

In order of stand number rather than alphabetical

Stephenson Carriages

Access Models (Newark)

Derby Trees and Scenics

Book Law

Sherwood Models (Nottingham)

Brickyard Models (Balderton)

Online Models, (electronics etc)

Peter Gurd  (books)

LMSR  (used models)

Malc's Models  (Ilkeston)

We may also have Great Central Model Railways (Brian Verden) but I've not heard from him lately so can't confirm.

Nick Gillman will also have a small stand next to his layout selling off remaining stock from Rural Railways.

Les

Edited by Les1952

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of updates.

1.  Deesdale Road won't be there, Peter has unfortunately had to withdraw.

2.  Woodcroft has had to withdraw due to technical issues.  The substitute is CANONS CROSS, also from Market Deeping MRC.  It will keep Tony of our club very happy.....

We still have the advertised 17 layouts without me bringing NO PLACE, though I'm looking for a small layout preferably in OO or HO to replace Deesdale Road.

More when I know.

Les

To replace Deesdale Road David Page has agreed to bring along his new layout "Chester Road", based on the Hazel Grove area.

It will be shown as a fully operational work in progress and David is very willing to answer questions about its construction.

David made "Brenton Midland" which was on the cover of Railway Modeller a few years ago.

Les

Following committee approval. the award for the best layout in the show will be the TREVOR WEBSTER TROPHY, in memory of our good friend and mentor who passed away earlier this year following a long battle with cancer.

Les

Access Models have had to pull out of the show due to illness in the family.

Not unexpected.  It means the show guide is becoming more of a work of fiction but an amendment slip will cover it.  Just one more job.

Still, I survived a morning of leaflet delivery door-to-door in Cotgrave with my fingers intact.  The two "friendly" dogs lurking behind doors just weren't fast enough.

Les

Bridgford was loaded into its trailer between showers today.  We're looking forward to the show, it hasn't been run except for testing since Hazel Grove last Oct, and hopefully is going to Warrington this Oct.  Alastair.

And the good news is that I checked with the hotel on Tuesday and the rooms are definitely booked.  Not only that but they will have been paid for by the time you get there.....

Les

Busy evening ahead getting cars packed at the clubroom with the wheelchair, notice boards, welcome packs and all the other stuff needed.

Not to mention the three car loads of what was described on RMWeb last year as "tat", which raised £400 plus for club funds and provided more than a few punters with an "I've been looking for one of those".

The show guides are now in my possession and in the car.  These are given free (a 16-page A5 booklet).

Also collected is the Trevor Webster Trophy.

post-13358-0-47572500-1492708695_thumb.jpg

The trophy will be awarded on Saturday afternoon, judged by a panel of Trevor's widow Gill plus one club member and one lay member.  The winner will get the trophy to keep and a new one (marked 2018) will be made for next year.

Les

• Like 2

Setting up last night went very well.

The Welfare has been repainted and the main hall has new lights - much brighter than the old ones.

All we need now are a generous bunch of punters.....

Les

Only one poultry-up so far (note the PC non-sexist version of the term....)

I printed 2016 on all of the exhibitor and trader badges last year and this year forgot the year was on them.  Not such a big issue as we got 100% of the badges back at the end of the show last year but I'll have to remember to print new badges to go on the lanyards next year.

Meanwhile all the exhibitors and traders have badges that say 2016......

Les

Visited the exhibition this afternoon, and as usual there were some good quality layouts on display. I was however disapointed with a few of the operators. One layout had 3 people having their lunch behind it, and no one operating it. Another layout had 2 operators, but were too busy talking to each other to bother operating it. Finally another another layout with one operator who was too busy on his phone to operate it. Just my own observations, I just like to see somehing moving......

David

Fair comment.

You must have arrived just after the lunches were delivered- there is nowhere for operators to eat apart from behind the stands if visitors are to have anywhere to sit and have a coffee.

I'll pass the comment about inactivity on.

Les

Numbers through the door yesterday up (by 4) on last year. Parking not helped by all of the Cotgrave youth football teams playing at home.  However every parent accompanying a young footballer got a flier shoved in their mit as a price for cluttering up our car park with footballers' cars.  Hopefully one or two will come tomorrow to the show.

Thanks to Les and the club for a very enjoyable weekend. We were a man down as Derek was taken into Hospital on Thurs evening but he was released last night. Eric Beech stepped into the gap and we are very grateful. Bridgford behaved itself so we had a stress-free weekend. B&B was excellent and I was home by 7-15 tonight. We hope to do it again sometime! Alastair.