Another Beyer Garratt 0-4-4-0

37 minutes ago, steveNCB7754 said:

Whilst blue is my favourite colour (and I did like the lined BR express passenger blue livery that 'Tornado' appeared in), I must say I do like the WHR Maroon and Black with Yellow lining round the Maroon.  The old LT Pannier scheme (with red side rods) was attractive as well, so no pressure!!   ;-)

Thanks Steve,

the LT maroon is a little purple for my taste, and, as your footnote points out, we have to choose what we do with our time...  well, I don’t choose to spend it lining this b****y thing!  (though I do concede, it is the kind of thing that mine or quarry owners did, in their vanity, but let’s assume this quarry was a bit strapped for cash, and didn’t splash out on fripperies.

but maroon, yes, perhaps a good shade of Duchess...

atb

Simon

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Isambarduk said:

Ha!  From our past experience, I believe that Simon and I adopt the same philosphy:

• Treat every kit, even the best ones, as an aid to scratch-building, recognise that some kits are more of an aid than other and concede that some are just no aid at all!

I think Simon did start with an aid, in this case.

David

Approved.  Go for it!

David, 

thank you, I do largely agree.  This one is definitely in the “aid to” rather than “kit of” department!  

At the level below, my pal, John, purchased a kit in which there were the requisite two sets of valve gear...  sadly both were for the left side of the loco.  Which suggests to me that checking the valve gear on this box of tricks might be a good plan...

Happy New Year

Simon

Thanks Giles,

I believe I did when you first tipped me off about that little design issue but as I’m entirely capable of having “thought about it but done nothing”, it’s worth checking again!

cheers

Simon

I think it’s fair to say that some progress has been made...

Bridge Upper

===========

Cab

===

Cab doorway vertical handrails - drill the holes in the footplate.

Bridge Lower

==========

damper actuator rods - kit bits

brake linkages - kit bits

Engines

======

lubricators & oil pipes - castings acquired

Shunter’s steps & guard irons - make

sandboxes, sandpipes - kit castings

brake shoes, hangers and cross beams - kit & scratchbuild, with Slaters shoes.

cylinder covers - kit & turned parts

slidebars, crossheads and connecting rods - kit & milled parts

valve gear - kit & scratch

Electrics

=======

Fire hole & bunker glow. 

Sort out sounds

Paint & finish

==========

Cab doorway vertical handrails
Maker’s plates & name plates - order from Narrow Planet - thanks to Giles for the heads-up

Windows & window frames - kit

looking like a more manageable list.  let’s see where we get to today...

Question:  is there any reason why I shouldn’t silver solder steel (slidebars) to cast brass (cylinder covers)?

atb

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 2

Thanks Giles, that was my intent.

I'm aiming to make square “U” shapes of appropriate cross section, drill a hole in the centre of the bottom, and align that with the end covers with a bit of threaded rod and some nuts. That will hopefully ensure it all goes together correctly.  Once soldered, I can cut the end off at the right length for the slide bars.

cheers

Simon

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Managed to do the Milliput filling of the odd crevices today, and whacked a coat of Ford Burgundy on the tanks, just to see if I liked it, but the air turned cold before I could do the boiler and cab.  Also filled the aching gaps in the ashpan with the putty, which was very necessary.  

But I’ve lost my tin of LEDs which is a PITA, as I want to fit the firebox light.

Made me clean the bench, though...

atb

Simon

• Friendly/supportive 2

Get the paint on whilst the sun shines...

D36E51E9-B74F-4A15-A41B-BAF9902086FB.jpeg.b52cabbeb06cc564fe825da9546910c7.jpeg

Sorry, the photo’s a bit dark.

Halfords Ford Burgundy.  Seems to cover very well, and glosses up nicely.  Incidentally, I was doing a bit of motorbike refurb today too, and sprayed the indicator brackets with Halfords Ford Gloss Black, over the Upol8 acid etch primer, and they’ve come out very well too.  Mr Halford has obviously been stirring his paint very thoroughly!

The black on the loco is Humbrol 33, well thinned, and will need another coat.

Prawn that I am, I forgot to paint the smokebox door.  Never mind, there’s always next year!

Happy New Year

Simon

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1