Carflats

dagrizz

The yellow chocks seem to have a securing lug molded into them? Is it intended that we will drill holes in the platform of the wagon to secure these lugs?

I wanted to run empty and full carflats and my (hopefully) clever idea is to glue the chocks to the car tyres. This will also ensure the chocks are ideally spaced so that there is no fire and aft movement of cars, even when heavy shunting is involved!

• RMweb Gold

The yellow chocks seem to have a securing lug molded into them? Is it intended that we will drill holes in the platform of the wagon to secure these lugs?

I wanted to run empty and full carflats and my (hopefully) clever idea is to glue the chocks to the car tyres. This will also ensure the chocks are ideally spaced so that there is no fire and aft movement of cars, even when heavy shunting is involved!

'Not to be loose shunted' IIRC.  There should be no heavy shunting involved!

Hello

When empty the chocks were tied to the rail on each side of the wagon about halfway along.

Cheers

George

Image 125 in Paul B's collection also seems to suggest one in BR blue, albeit original image colours have naturally deteriorated.

John

Thats a good spot, I think you are correct. There are a couple of bare strips on the upright sides near the middle which would suggest a Motorail board may have been removed, and the end and side solebar does appear to have a hint of blue. However, the end has changed a lot in colour a couple or so years later. http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brmotorail/e2716f0a1

Paul

An EDIT - I have had it pointed out that this is a 60ft frame, whereas unexpectedly to me, Oxford may have only modelled the 57ft frame.

Edited by hmrspaul

Thats a good spot, I think you are correct. There are a couple of bare strips on the upright sides near the middle which would suggest a Motorail board may have been removed, and the end and side solebar does appear to have a hint of blue. However, the end has changed a lot in colour a couple or so years later. http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brmotorail/e2716f0a1

Paul

An EDIT - I have had it pointed out that this is a 60ft frame, whereas unexpectedly to me, Oxford may have only modelled the 57ft frame.

It seems to have been unexpected by some of the design staff at oxford as well.

The frame is 57ft but has trusses to 60ft dimensions.

I think all the announced numbers are for 60ft versions

The underframe is also a welded one which due to the earlier conversion date of the 57ft versions, would be rare if they existed at all.

It seems to have been unexpected by some of the design staff at oxford as well.

The frame is 57ft but has trusses to 60ft dimensions.

I think all the announced numbers are for 60ft versions

The underframe is also a welded one which due to the earlier conversion date of the 57ft versions, would be rare if they existed at all.

Looks like this explains why I can't squeeze 5 Hillman Imps aboard, when that was the standard payload for the Linwood - Ryton traffic.

NB: I'm not modelling that traffic explicitly, but I have the wherewithal to do so, so it was fun trying it out!

Edited by 'CHARD

very good price.

where did Hornby get that idea from for their version in bright orange?  was it ever in that colour?  I remember the model well growing up. 

They were probably trying to do a faded rust colour. As a kid, I used to run mine in the middle of an HST! Must try that with the Oxford version... now now, rule number 1!!!

• RMweb Premium

Some certainly had the Motorail boards, so I would assume are in rail blue.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/5537139557/in/pool-2259775@N23/

Thanks Mark for the link.

Having seen the photo I stand corrected about them being freight only vehicles as I stated many post ago.

• 3 weeks later...