Small Stone Engine Shed from Dapol Church and also Station

bertiedog

Anyway I have had two more Churches from Hattons to complete the work for the narrow gauge station, and enough over for one on the industrial line as well. I have also started on the booking hall/station building as well. It strange to see they come now as Kitmaster models! The flash is very minor issue really, it all assembles accurately once any is scrapped away or filed off.

Stephen

On with the Booking hall/Station,.....and decided to leave the windows, which on close examination are not too bad on thickness maybe Dapol altered the moulds. They are being glued in first, then using a very fine file to remove any trace of flash and tapering. The older illustrations have white window frames which just make them look wrong.

But the frames look OK in faded green, so that's what with be used, saving an immense amount of work replacing the frames. Plasticard for the interior walls and partitions, and a base to glue the walls to, leaving a removable roof held by magnets.

Gas lamps can be added outside, and interior lighting, with Leds.

No flash worth worrying about at all, and clean mouldings.

Stephen

The Station is now assembled, bar the end window which is being converted to an external ticket booth window for a little variation. I decided to do the roof solid, as it takes the walls accurately and the whole structure can have the internal walls attached to the base unit in black plastic.

The whole thing went together accurately, no flash, but will require a bit of filing and sanding once the glue has hardened in the morning. it will then be sprayed with car undercoat to start the painting process in acrylic water colours. The glazing will be last of course.

Once dry it needs a few more details and some flashing along the join between the station roof and the awning.

I will also add some support columns for the awning, once fitted to the base unit, and then some fine details like chocolate machines and post boxes, phone bells and electrical connection boxes. Also a phone pole to bring lines into the station building.

Does anybody know of a UK source of the Dacron fibre thread used to provide unbreakable elastic phone lines, it is available in the States but postage is now ridiculous from the States, making it very expensive.

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

The Station is now assembled, bar the end window which is being converted to an external ticket booth window for a little variation. I decided to do the roof solid, as it takes the walls accurately and the whole structure can have the internal walls attached to the base unit in black plastic.

The whole thing went together accurately, no flash, but will require a bit of filing and sanding once the glue has hardened in the morning. it will then be sprayed with car undercoat to start the painting process in acrylic water colours. The glazing will be last of course.

Once dry it needs a few more details and some flashing along the join between the station roof and the awning.

I will also add some support columns for the awning, once fitted to the base unit, and then some fine details like chocolate machines and post boxes, phone bells and electrical connection boxes. Also a phone pole to bring lines into the station building.

Does anybody know of a UK source of the Dacron fibre thread used to provide unbreakable elastic phone lines, it is available in the States but postage is now ridiculous from the States, making it very expensive.

Stephen

I would try jewellery craft suppliers. I think they do strong elastic thread in various diameters and flat sections.

I remember discounting it when I was modelling back in the 60s/70s. I think that the fact that, even then, it came with the flexible polythene soldiers, which I wouldn't have wanted, and was to the smaller scale ruled it out. I don't remember most of the others. apart from the airfield control tower and refuelling/rearming sets, being around then. I am amazed that anyone would pay £22 for a set of 'European city steps' and I am not sure why they are specifically European!

I have used this many times. In fact there wasan article back in the 70s in RM by Pete Linsay whi had the model shop just off Fore Street in Exeter, and I remember seing in in his window display cabinet. It was discoveringhis shop whilst at uni that got me back into the hobby.

Italeri I think do a laser cut kit for the complete farmhouse complex. Not cheap, but it is probably nearer to scale.

The Station is all complete as far as the basics, now a lot of tiny details to add, like a canopy over the entrance doors, an outside ticket office window on the end wall, and all the usual bits like machines and display stuff. It internal walls are cut out of plastic sheet mainly to block light from one part to others, but I will add a bit of detail to the ticket hall interior. I have turned up a set of support columns for the canopy as well, and now have to find a base that will blend in with the platform.

The windows have been altered at some stage, the glazing bars are reduced, leaving a ridge on the back to guide the glazing into place. I thought the old version had much too thick mouldings.

Next is the loco shed and then the goods shed, got to work out the exact reductions required from the various Church parts.  The three buildings are all that is needed for this simple terminus station in 009.

Stephen

Closer examination of the photos of the booking office Station block, show that Dapol have greatly reduced the thickness of the glazing bars by about 50%, they have recessed the back of the frames, no longer flush as before, so there is no need to change them at all. They do benefit from a very fine square file being run inside each one to remove any taper from the moulds, and any trace of flash.

The station ornaments are being done from scrap plasticard plus some spare Dart castings etchings.

The Church is complete now, but being sawn up to take the water tank and doors for the engine shed. I may leave the windows as they are or just remove the rounded tops. It will be more important to change things on the good shed version I am doing next.

Stephen

Stephen

Dacron is used for some bow strings. This might be useful - http://www.quicksarchery.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=538_539_543&product_id=877

Arthur

I've found EZ Line is a better product for recreating overhead conductors/wires. I have purchased from Antics and also here http://www.modellingtools.co.uk/ez-line-fine-black-2233-p.asp not cheap but available in black, white and a rust colour.

That's the type I was after, I had some before but it got used up rapidly and the reference was lost on an old computer,

thanks,

Stephen

Dacron is also sold in anglering shops as "braid" available in various thickness it's very good for any representation of rope or wire such as used on cranes or tie downs on wagons. Not sure about an elasticated version though.

Re Dapol Windows I've given up on those supplied. Peco do a pack of just windows and doors which are much better, Wills are good but expensive. I've purchased some lasercut which look good but I've not used them yet. Brass etched ones can be had cheep on eBay from time to time and if money is no object York model making do a wide range including church windows.

I must say I really like the Dapol kits, with a little work they can be made more individual whilst being easier than scratch building, especially th roofs. I have several thatched cottages, with Peco windows and roof slates, brick plasticard over the stone chimney, new chimney pots and joined two to make a larger one. The houses and inn have too many windows but this can be cured by covering the side walls in a solid sheet of plasticard. Just changing the widows makes a massive improvement but a bit of kit bashing makes them almost unrecognisable as can be seen on the church conversions here. I'll try to put some photos up.

I think those windows have been re-worked, comparing the Dapol shots a while ago with the current show they are about half the thickness, the back is recessed with raised edges, and looks like a simple rework of the moulds. Also most shots show white finish, which makes them look worse. The scale thickness is 1mm (about 3 inches), so well within normal glazing bars, but of course the glass is not set at the back on the real thing.

Stephen

Archived