Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Does our hobby shape our character?

Neil

On 10/12/2020 at 13:05, cypherman said:

Hi all,

Do you not think that our hobby attracts more than a fair number of Rivet Counters and Pedants(Being a pedant is not a criminal offence in the UK). But we do seem to take a great deal of time looking into the smallest possible thing that has to be just so. Take the grade of track bed material and how many different forms of that we have. The size of the grains of sand, The colour and the texture. makes the mind swim.

Plus it means we play out our god like fantasies with out having to exterminate the next door neighbours........ :)

So yes I think it does affect us. It makes us the most mentally stable meglomaniacs on the planet....... lol

Well, there are pedants in every area of life...

Take  up golf and see how they analyse every little bit of your swing etc. It’s not just in modelling . But everyone has their own standards - I don’t judge based on that . If you are happy pushing brio round the carpet so be it, if you want to model accurate dog poo from Yorkshire in April 1957 go for it ...

” rivet counters “ also , they are about in every walk of life , just termed differently . 

It is definitely part of it though to create your own world to escape into. My little layout Banford is a dump with fly tipped rubbish - it’s exactly the opposite of where I’d want to live which is why I built it ! I don’t want to go there in real life ( without an AK47 ) but I like the grittiness in model form .

which is a different desire to the , oh so clean , 1930s O gauge GWR layouts you often see that look like a dream world of cleanliness - which I don’t think really existed , not an once of grease or dirt on the loco.

But each to their own , we are all basically escaping from the reality of real life whilst recreating some of it .

I saw this thread and had a quick think....

Just for me, I suppose it must do; though I have never really thought about it.

Any hobby or interest that one has maintained, even in many diverse ways, since before going off into the wide world of Infant school really has to have had some say in shaping how one thinks at the very least.

On 20/12/2020 at 21:16, rob D2 said:

if you want to model accurate dog poo from Yorkshire in April 1957 go for it ...

Dog poo back then was white and hard well it was here in Lancashire !!. Something to do with dog food ingredients (bone meal, calcium).

Brit15

• Like 1

On 21/12/2020 at 23:07, APOLLO said:

Dog poo back then was white and hard well it was here in Lancashire !!. Something to do with dog food ingredients (bone meal, calcium).

Brit15

White dog poo - there's a blast from the past. Thanks for the memory - I think....

• Funny 1