Removing numbers from old Hornby locos

Hi all

I have two locomotives that I want to renumber, a Hornby class 25 and a Lima/Hornby Railroad class 31, both in BR blue. The tricky bit with these two is that the main body colour seems to be the plastic colour, rather than painted on. Having already slightly damaged the 25 from weathering with thinned enamel paint, I'm wary of trying any chemicals to remove the numbers. Does anyone have any suggestions of products and methods for removing the old numbers without resorting to a full repaint?

Thanks

deltic9014 

I used to get the numbers off old Lima locos by putting a piece of sellotape over the number, rubbing down firmly, then ripping it off.  Often nothing would happen first time.  Keep going though and the number would gradually come off bit by bit.

Thanks D6975. Unfortunately this didn't work on the Hornby 25 as the numbering was too tough. Maybe I'll try it on the 31. I did manage to get the numbers off the 25 by using a Hornby track rubber. I suspect this may vary depending on the make of track rubber (the Peco one looks rougher) but the Hornby rubber took the numbers off without damaging the plastic underneath. The only disadvantage is that it wears the rubber out rather quickly! 

Many thanks

deltic9014 

On the pre-coloured plastic models Triang-Hornby / Hornby seemed to use two different approaches. One was transfers (or akin to transfers) with the model having a lacquer of varnish (or equivalent) sprayed over. The other which is probably more likely on the diesels was to heat print (or something like that) the numbers on with the result that often the number is depressed slightly into the model and even if you can remove the colour of the number you will be left with its outline.

• RMweb Gold

I used Deluxe strip magic to remove the numbers abd lettering from my Hornby and Airfix models with no damage to the paintwork. I just applied with a cotton bud, left it for 3 or 4 mins and the rubbed with a dry bud and the numbers came off easily. Clean with a little white spirit and it was done. Ian

Hi all

I have two locomotives that I want to renumber, a Hornby class 25 and a Lima/Hornby Railroad class 31, both in BR blue. The tricky bit with these two is that the main body colour seems to be the plastic colour, rather than painted on. Having already slightly damaged the 25 from weathering with thinned enamel paint, I'm wary of trying any chemicals to remove the numbers. Does anyone have any suggestions of products and methods for removing the old numbers without resorting to a full repaint?

Thanks

deltic9014 

Try Mr Muscle oven cleaner. Provided you haven't painted the locos, it should remove the number's. Place the loco body in a plastic bag, fill the bag with Mr Muscle, tightly seal the bag and leave for around 45min's. Remove the body and rinse under luke warm water and dry.

K9-70

Archived