Electro pneumatic point control

tom shaw

• RMweb Gold

I dunno why they didn't just use solenoids, like we do....... :scratchhead:

They did actually. The solenoid opened the valve for the air to go to the piston. This made operation very fast on hump points as withouit any locking it was just a direct acting ram with an approx 6" diameter piston which at normal working pressure would give a force of about 1400lb.

• RMweb Gold

Following the receipt of all the good information I re-examined some pictures I had of Tyne Dock and found the following which I have zoomed in on to show some point motors, this seems to agree with what people have been saying. Also shown is some unusual trough which I haven't seen before. Is it concrete and what is the pattern on the lid ?

post-28123-0-17308600-1487331639.jpg

Regards,

Tom

More likely oily footprints where the PWay has walked on them.  :jester:

Bit of a mystery the spacing is not right for the PW who would have walked at sleeper spacing length steps, and the S&T would not have got their boots that dirty sleeping in their van. :jester:  :P  :jester:

Bit of a mystery the spacing is not right for the PW who would have walked at sleeper spacing length steps, and the S&T would not have got their boots that dirty sleeping in their van. :jester:  :P  :jester:

I seem to recall troughing with holes in the top like this, there must be some left lying down the bankside somewhere?

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Premium

I dunno why they didn't just use solenoids, like we do....... :scratchhead:

Ah but there was pioneer installations that did! IIRC correctly the 2 original installations, back in the distant past, at Crewe used a solenoid based system. It wasn't extend beyond the 2 installations & didn't last long.

Perhaps the problem was getting big enough capacitors for the CDU?

Following the receipt of all the good information I re-examined some pictures I had of Tyne Dock and found the following which I have zoomed in on to show some point motors, this seems to agree with what people have been saying. Also shown is some unusual trough which I haven't seen before. Is it concrete and what is the pattern on the lid ?

attachicon.giftyne dock point motors.jpg

Regards,

Tom

It should also be remembered that the Propane pipes for the point heaters were in the same troughing!

Is the photo Tyne Dock or Tyne Yard?

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold

It should also be remembered that the Propane pipes for the point heaters were in the same troughing!

Is the photo Tyne Dock or Tyne Yard?

Mark Saunders

Mark,

The photo is Tyne Dock near to Green Lane signal box and looks to have been taken around 1960 to 62

Regards,

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the dates for the Westinghouse miniature lever frames, which could only work with power operated points, June 1926 would be a good start, when the first K lever frames were installed at Charing Cross and Cannon Street, with Borough Market Junctin and London Bridge the following year.

Concrete "boxing" is a more difficult question. The DC traction feeder cables of that era were normally laid in wooden trunking on the ground, and the high voltage AC cables usually on elevated post routes, although there may have been locations where this may not have been practicable and they may have been laid in, most likely, asbestos cement troughing. Otherwise, the obvious candidate would be the signalling cables, of which there would have been a lot in the areas that were converted to colour light signalling.

Jim

Archived