Journey of a railway signalman.

Michael Delamar

Ive just recieved this superb book from Tony Cook. Tony Cook worked on the railways from 1947 through to 1994, starting as a box lad with the LMS at the age of 16. Throughout his career he worked many boxes within the 8D area ranging from the humble British Alkali box on the Low Level line through to Warrington Bank Quay powerbox on the West Coast main line. In his book Journey of a Railway Signalman he shares his wealth of knowledge regarding signalling practices along with everyday encounters with some of the characters he worked alongside on the railways, often with hilarious results.

The hardback copy of this fascinating insight into the post-war era of British Railway, with 340 pages, over 400 photographs and 56 diagrams. It is a credit to Tony's drive and determination that, this self published masterpiece, gains the recognition that it thoroughly deserves.

I think it will be of high interest not only to these who have an interest in railway signalling and operation but also the social side of the railway. And with so many rare photographs of long gone north west signal boxes and stations for the historian and diagrams which can help the modeller to understand and appreciate this part of railway operation.

I already have one of his earlier books on ex Merseyrail signal boxes. This is another level. And worth every penny of the £25.

The book can be purchased here. http://ontherails.store

post-27-0-79645600-1486982952_thumb.png

post-27-0-70314400-1486982965_thumb.png

post-27-0-21771100-1486982983_thumb.png

post-27-0-03570000-1486983004_thumb.png

post-27-0-85736500-1486983021_thumb.png

post-27-0-93009500-1486983038_thumb.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Michael,

The link in your fist post does not work.

I can see the book on other websites (Ebay, Amazon, etc).

Kev.

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just for anyone who may have known Tony he unfortunately passed away on the 23rd of march. I only learned on Facebook that his funeral was yesterday. A lovely bloke.

R.I.P. Tony.

Edited by Markwj

I bought a copy a couple of years ago, and had exchanged a few emails with Tony about a few of the locations mentioned. It's a fascinating read.

I am sorry to hear of his passing.

7-5-5 seems appropriate.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 11/04/2019 at 04:41, Markwj said:

Just for anyone who may have known Tony he unfortunately passed away on the 23rd of march. I only learned on Facebook that his funeral was yesterday. A lovely bloke.

R.I.P. Tony.

Sorry to hear about Tony.

I bought a copy of his book not too long ago. We exchanged quite a few messages through Facebook and he asked me what my interests were. When I told him my main interest was the history of Merseyside railways and I was planning a model of the LOR, he sent me 6 DVD's that he'd made of railways on Merseyside, free of charge. He even messaged me  a month or so after he'd sent the book and DVD's to ask me how my project was going. A lovely, kind man and I would have liked to meet him in person, but glad our paths crossed in a small way.

R.I.P. Tony.

• Like 1