LNER wartime brown "teak" carriage paint colour

Hello

Can anyone help with the following please.

I am building 2 Quad Art sets. My plan is to build one set (composite) in weathered teak livery, this set is progressing well.

The other set (all third) I would like to finish in the wartime brown livery LNER stock was painted in at this time.

What I would like to know is what the best paint match to replicate this Wartime brown colour?

Thanks in advance

John

Never heard of a wartime Brown livery, as far as I am aware they remained in varnished Teak. Pre grouping Coaches were painted Teak Brown when in poor condition or when not originally built in Teak wood. 

I use Precision Phoenix paints Teak shade for pre grouping Coaches and CCT etc type  vehicles.

Perhaps you are thinking of LMS.  Starting about 1940, NPCS that would, before the war, have been finished in Crimson Lake were painted "Lake" which was kind of a bauxite colour.  Lake, in happier times, was used as an undercoat for Crimson Lake.

However, mainline coaching stock still carried the normal livery although it probably got pretty neglected.

John

...The other set (all third) I would like to finish in the wartime brown livery LNER stock was painted in at this time...

With the caution already mentioned, that this is probably a fiction, as these sets were in varnished teak until overpainted in BR ownership; it would be the same 'teak brown' that you will require to paint solebars, headstocks and wheel centres on your varnished teak set. Harris has this as similar to BS 490 'Beech Brown', the Phoenix paint already mentioned the best bet.

Harris also records that in November 1941, the decision was taken that underframes were to be all black as a wartime economy.

Hello

Many thanks to you all for taking the time to help me out with plenty of helpful info and also put right some misconceptions i had regarding  LNER carraige liveries at this time.

My original idea was to have the 2 quad art sets in contrasting finishes for my chosen time period of 1939 to 1949. The set that is progressing at the moment is in a fairly beaten up weathered teak so I think the other set can go in a slightly more "factory fresh" teak finish (but not too fresh)

Thanks

John

Archived