Class 68 - Fitting Sound

Dixie Dean

Lighting.  It can run light, lights both ends as appropriate, and as part of a consist, i.e. lamps on one end off.  Doesn't appear to have a night mode.  Does have cab lights which are controlled by switches under the exhaust cover (prises off - do it gently otherwise you may damage it).

I reckon because the driver is centrally based in the cab, there is no night mode I guess? However, I'm open to correction on this matter.

Ben

• RMweb Gold

I reckon because the driver is centrally based in the cab, there is no night mode I guess? However, I'm open to correction on this matter.

Ben

I didn't think night mode was to benefit the driver, rather the drivers of oncoming trains?

Roy

I picked up my class 68 today (I only live 2 miles from Hattons).  I'd already got a chip from Legomanbiffo.

On opening up the loco I found these two coppery wires, one joining 2 points on the loco's circuit board and the other going nowhere! (just flopping about).

Do you think that's normal.  Should I check it out with Hattons or Dapol before powering the loco up.

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Got to agree, some of the soldering is suspect.  The thin copper wires may ? be of a type that are lacquer insulated, regardless, it looks very much like an after thought bodge. I'd try it on DC first with a blanking plug, it may well be a folly trying the decoder before ensuring that it's not going to fry !  If you fit the decoder, ONLY use a programming track to check it will read OK. DO NOT subject it to full track power if you can't read the decoder's address

Take it back to Hatton's and check other examples if possible................................

Glad to hear the 68 is looking and sounding good.. Thanks to Dapol for this, we do tend to take model manufacterers for granted at times.. Cant wait for the 59!! Went to check up on progress on dapols site and found some statement about 3rd party comments on the 68, wow whats all that about..?!!

To be on the safe side I put a small piece of tape over the lacquered wires. YES it is VERY tight with the bigger bass enhanced speaker although the 'straps' with tiny self tappers do actually work and hold speaker in place. Sounds pretty good. I await the 'upgrade' that will inevitably come from Biff and co. On another note drivers are relatively easy to fit although cab interiors take a bit of levering out (remove the silvered head light bar first and put aside and refit once the drivers are in and cab interiors refitted) The Dapol coupling hooks are silly. One is a dummy with pretend moulded link hooked over in one piece. The other end is a simple hook but is so small that a smiths instanter link will barely hook over it. Thankfully the buffer beam is plastic and the Dapol 'hooks' just pull out. I opened the holes up slightly with a drill and then fitted a slightly bigger but still scale Hornby 60 pair to loco. Looks better and now function as couplings. Also annoying is that there are two 'ploughs' supplied one solid and one with a hole for tension lock to pass though. As we run screw/3 links everywhere I want two solid ones. Better phone Andy!? 

I've just looked at my class 68 that enameled wire did go somewhere, it goes to diode 4 or d4 it is tiny but it's soldered tho one of the 3 terminals on the tiny diode

I picked up my class 68 today (I only live 2 miles from Hattons). I'd already got a chip from Legomanbiffo.

On opening up the loco I found these two coppery wires, one joining 2 points on the loco's circuit board and the other going nowhere! (just flopping about).

Do you think that's normal. Should I check it out with Hattons or Dapol before powering the loco up.

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

• RMweb Gold

I've just looked at my class 68 that enameled wire did go somewhere, it goes to diode 4 or d4 it is tiny but it's soldered tho one of the 3 terminals on the tiny diode

Just opened mine and popped online to state the same thing - Both wires originate at one of the pins of the 21-pin socket, with one going to D4 and one going to D8 (just about visible in the photos in this thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120024-Dapol-class-68-light-mods/?p=2620753

If you've snipped one off, then I can only imagine that something isn't going to work....

I have fitted a 58x22 Bass Reflex speaker in mine and it is a perfect fit with both brackets. Ensure you put all the wires above the speaker though and hold them in place with the two brackets so they don't get fouled when replacing the body. Noticed the two wires but realised they were enamelled before reading this thread and wasn't worried about them. I have ordered a DRS sound fitted one which like everyone else I am still waiting for so that's Biff's; but have ordered a YouChoos one to fit myself for a bit of a difference in the Scotrail one as I like how it sounds a bit different.

• 2 weeks later...