Class 68 - Fitting Sound

Dixie Dean

I went through and just removed all the wiring and PCB.

I fitted a Loksound V4 with a 20 x 40mm speaker.

I then had the exciting job of deciphering the LED wiring trying to figure out what everything was and then wiring it into the functions on the decoder. 

The mess the start with.

post-23457-0-54497000-1488423471_thumb.jpg

All tidied up and finished. All that excess wire removed.

post-23457-0-03440100-1488423478_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Legomanbiffo World Here:

We have been fitting as above our 3 Watt Supersound Bass Reflex speakers as standard to the Class 68s, these are the speakers that are available for ourselves, the less powerful 2 Watt can be obtained from DCC Supplies and other retailers.  The amendments we made to make life easier were to unscrew the circuit board (4 Screws) then using a double sided sticky pad reposition it 5 mm away from the speaker. This allows the decoder to sit flat on the 21Pin plug not angled over the end of the speaker, not crucial BUT it looks neater!!  The switches currently have 4 set downwards and the small one set upwards, you have to set the small one to match the other four, 'All Downwards'. 

We soldered the speaker onto the two SPK + & - Solder pads.

We have fitted and EM2 (Earth Mover) to one sample and one of our Long Bass 8ohm + sugarcube pair (Wired in series) to make them all 4ohm in the second loco, both need additional work by either milling down the chassis block for the EM2 or rounding off the corners of the Long Bass.

The EM2 sound for home use sound brilliant, just like a Class 68 with Low Bass sound reproduced accurately, but the Long Bass combination for exhibition use is louder and the sounds not as deep, but you can hear them above the general exhibition noise better.

All in all the Supersound Bass Reflex speakers are fine BUT do not pickup the lower bass sound's of this locomotive.

Charlie

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 1

Guest Midland Mole

Do you offer a fitting service for those of us not blessed with practical ability Charlie? :)

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

My Class 68 "with Sound Fitted" arrived this week without a decoder!

The larger DCC supplies bass reflex speaker is fitted, and tolerances aren't just tight, but it's just not possible to fit a ESU V4 in there the way they've screwed it together (it sits at such an angle that it's unable to hold itself onto the pins). I guess the decoder fell out at the factory before they put it in the box.

Hopefully Hattons will be able to get me a Decoder for it from Dapol, and then I'll be definitely following the advice in this thread for fitting it and "fixing" the loco.

(And one day, I'm sure I'll buy something from Dapol that doesn't require manually fixing …)

Guest Midland Mole

(And one day, I'm sure I'll buy something from Dapol that doesn't require manually fixing …)

I wish you luck in that quest. :)

Alex

Guest Midland Mole

Yes we do, Decoder+Speaker+postage+fitting £140.00 Send it to me in Leeds.  Ta charlie

Brilliant, thanks for that.

Alex

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 02/03/2017 at 03:02, cooley_boy said:

I went through and just removed all the wiring and PCB.

I fitted a Loksound V4 with a 20 x 40mm speaker.

I then had the exciting job of deciphering the LED wiring trying to figure out what everything was and then wiring it into the functions on the decoder. 

The mess the start with.

post-23457-0-54497000-1488423471_thumb.jpg

All tidied up and finished. All that excess wire removed.

post-23457-0-03440100-1488423478_thumb.jpg

So the internal PCB is Dud if you're going DCC. Was this a rewired/worked 8 or 21 pin chip Rand?

20 hours ago, Marcus-Jay said:

So the internal PCB is Dud if you're going DCC. Was this a rewired/worked 8 or 21 pin chip Rand?

Hi Marcus,

This was the first run of the Class 68s which had some unusual wiring done in them form the factory. 

They would work with a 21 pin decoder but I had decided to hard wire a 8 pin decoder in so I could customise the lighting. 

The second run of 68s may look a little different inside.

Regards

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Looking at the LB2021 project from DC Kits? What is the difference between 1 Supersound Bass Reflex speaker and 2x mini bass in terms of sound quality and ease of fitting?

Or alternatively would a Bass Reflex fit into the Dapol model without modification of the model?