Barnstaple Junction help please

dessire_luvals

Hi Folks

I'm trying to find a picture of the West (B) Signal Box of sufficient quality to be able to count bricks so that I can create a scale drawing ahead of starting a scratch build. I have most books covering the location bar "The Ilfracombe Line" and have trawled all I have plus Google Images, Flikr, Facebook. Does anyone have anything that could help please?

Thanks

Russell

Russell

xpress - british railways operating history - SR part 2 - page 102 - front of box is just about good enough. But that and a small one of the front of the shed are the only two Barnstaple pictures in the book. 

Middleton Press - branch line to Ilfracombe - very useful picture of rear of box (and on other page front of "A" box - I think this will meet your needs.

The other Middleton press books - Exeter/Barnstaple : Taunton/ Barnstaple and the Torrington line all have a number of Barnstaple pictures.

Lightmoor press have just issued Taunton - Barnstaple vol 1 - haven't seen it and don't know if it covers junction as well as Victoria road.

Bob  

Russell

xpress - british railways operating history - SR part 2 - page 102 - front of box is just about good enough. But that and a small one of the front of the shed are the only two Barnstaple pictures in the book. 

Middleton Press - branch line to Ilfracombe - very useful picture of rear of box (and on other page front of "A" box - I think this will meet your needs.

The other Middleton press books - Exeter/Barnstaple : Taunton/ Barnstaple and the Torrington line all have a number of Barnstaple pictures.

Lightmoor press have just issued Taunton - Barnstaple vol 1 - haven't seen it and don't know if it covers junction as well as Victoria road.

Bob

Thanks for this and apologies for delay.

I'll have a look for the first one. The Middleton books are the best I can so far but even they are a real struggle.

Somewhere I have a few photos taken with a box brownie when the box was derelict. If I can find them I will scan them in but unfortunately, since the negatives are old 127 film I cannot scan them in on my dedicated film scanner. Since it was a standard LSWR type 4 design  (though slightly unusual with its tapered end) would getting plans of the same design of box help you get dimensions? Most of the woodwork would be the same dimensions.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you seen the photo in Impermanent Ways, Vol.4 Devon, by Amyas Crump?

There is a reasonable photo of the junction and end of the box on page 8/9.

There appear to be about 6 layers of bricks above the concrete balcony,

and about 21 layers of bricks and 14 concrete steps down from the balcony to ground level.

cheers

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Have you seen the photo in Impermanent Ways, Vol.4 Devon, by Amyas Crump?

There is a reasonable photo of the junction and end of the box on page 8/9.

There appear to be about 6 layers of bricks above the concrete balcony,

and about 21 layers of bricks and 14 concrete steps down from the balcony to ground level.

cheers

Thanks, I’ve now got that book and your brick count is very helpful thankyou.

Somewhere I have a few photos taken with a box brownie when the box was derelict. If I can find them I will scan them in but unfortunately, since the negatives are old 127 film I cannot scan them in on my dedicated film scanner. Since it was a standard LSWR type 4 design  (though slightly unusual with its tapered end) would getting plans of the same design of box help you get dimensions? Most of the woodwork would be the same dimensions.

Hi,

Sorry for the late response, I forgot I’d posted here. If the box is a variation on a standard design any drawings would be useful, do you know where I might find any?

Thanks

Russell

That a strange photo, as the ones i have show the box on a high brick base.

Looking at the box in this old photo, looks like they built the box on top of the base of the old one, if you look at the bricks at the sides they are very much alike.

post-6929-0-49446500-1514392439_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-57943300-1514392448_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-20310000-1514400234_thumb.jpg

Edited by darren01

Hi Darren,

From what I can see there was two boxes, the early one is shown in you third picture. I believe that was replaced and the scond one subsequntly jacked up and moved to make way for the track to be realigned. The second box is the one in your first two photos.

I think I’m almost there on measuring up, assuming that I can count on each brick plus mortar coming out at 9” x 3”.