Hawksworth Auto-Coaches

Crepello

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'd forgotten I'd got one of these on pre-order, so it was a surprise when the postman was stood at the door holding a familiar shaped box from the North West this morning!

I guess after 'Chaffinch' visited a MHR gala a couple of years ago i'd ordered it then. It is however, a super looking model, as it ought to be being at the upper end of N Gauge coaching stock prices.

post-1467-0-23329800-1488202644_thumb.jpg

post-1467-0-84369000-1488202629_thumb.jpg

post-1467-0-92476800-1488202658_thumb.jpg

All we need now is a 14XX of equivalent standard. 

Tom.  

Here is a picture of what I mean about the seat colours:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/t/tiverton/tiverton(8.1962)old4.jpg

The later diagram of these autocoaches had a greenish-grey seat colour that looks blue at a distance, but the arrangement of the seats was different and they were metal framed bus-type seats.

The grey curtains are worth adding, I think.

Well, very pleased with mine - excellent, just like the Hawksworths. Time for Dapol to upgrade the B set and collets too.

Seen partnering 6417 - of which I'm pleased to say there's photographic evidence at Tintern.

Makes my Dapol repaint look very crude now.

Must finish off that junction signal...

Matt wpost-3077-0-33687900-1488480991_thumb.jpgpost-3077-0-38487200-1488481018_thumb.jpgpost-3077-0-52381800-1488481038_thumb.jpg

Just got one today. From the extras including a lamp, the special instruction sheet, the looks, finish, free running to the amazing interior they are the bees knees of N gauge coaches. Only just pipped the GWR livery Hawksworth to the best N gauge coach categery for me.

Having had a close look I wondered if they have maybe gone back to a one piece moulding for the sides and windows but with lots of relief - not sure how they have done it otherwise as there is no prismic effect whatsoever. Everything is beautifully flush.

These look excellent. Whilst the liveries are out of my era, I really hope we get to see a RTC version.

The Dapol RTC version released a few years ago was not the correct prototype and the colours were very different to the Farish RTC coaches released to date.

Here's really hoping for a superior Farish RTC Test Car 1!

• RMweb Gold

Having had a close look I wondered if they have maybe gone back to a one piece moulding for the sides and windows but with lots of relief - not sure how they have done it otherwise as there is no prismic effect whatsoever. Everything is beautifully flush.

I can confirm that the windows are separate mouldings (I've had mine apart), however there is less prismatic effect as the rear of the window moulding is now flush, whereas previously there would be a recess behind each window. 

I noticed recently that the glazing moulding for the Mk.1's has been modified or retooled to remove this recess, and more recent Mk.1s show much less prismatic effect than the first issues and consequently look much better. 

Tom.  

• RMweb Gold

I couldn't say for certain exactly when the change occurred. I only noticed when I dismantled one of the recent Intercity liveried models. Most of my stock is BR SR Green, and it seems that in this case the change happened with the release of the "B" version of the model. 

Tom.  

• RMweb Premium

I've fitted the pipes etc (apart from those lost in the carpet); when doing this, note there are small holes UNDERNEATH the coach for some of them. I think praise is due to Bachmann for the lamp design; it sits nicely on the bracket; I used a slow-setting (20 seconds) superglue to fix the bits, first squirting some on to a sheet of kitchen foil and then transferring it to the items with a cocktail stick. A Dapol long buckeye at the 'plain' end completes the job, coupling nicely with a short one on the rear of the 64XX.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Want to get some passengers on board. Looks like the body separates from the chassis. Clips, lugs? anyone done it?

john

Clips in 3 locations on the chassis into slots in the glazing moulding, so you'll need to carefully prize apart the body at each end and roughly in the middle. It's the same system as used on most of their recent coaches.

Don't forget to remove the step handrails, but be careful as they are glued in place. 

Tom. 

Archived