Uncommon 7mm scale LNWR

• RMweb Gold

Very nice Crewe North, very nice indeed.

I have a Standard Crewe Goods along with a square tank version on my to do list, (It will probably take me until 2030 to get around to it though, it's a long list........)

One aspect of the prospective build is troubling me is how to separate the chassis and the body given that the cylinders and motion mount onto the body.

Can I trouble you to share how you've overcome this?

Thanks

Argos........the chassis contains the slide bars and crossheads , the cylinders or rather half of them are soldered to the outside of the frames so the whole body lifts off leaving the chassis, slide bars , crossheads behind.......hope this makes sense.

I also ,way back, scratchbuilt the side tank rebuild of the Crewe Goods for my Alexandra Yard layout. With this the smokebox/cylinders were built as part of the chassis, the footplate, cab and tanks plugged in to the smokebox rear and fixed to the chassis with a 6BA bolt under the bunker,

John

.......the chassis contains the slide bars and crossheads , the cylinders or rather half of them are soldered to the outside of the frames so the whole body lifts off leaving the chassis, slide bars , crossheads behind.......hope this makes sense.

John

I did the same thing with my 2MM FS CR 98 class (at the foot of this post http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/61066-scottish-locomotives/page-8&do=findComment&comment=1836754)which also has a 'Crewe' front end.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Ah! the penny drops!

I nearly responded in my previous post to the effect that the only other one of these locos being modelled I was aware of was a via post on the LNWR Society forum by the builder of Alexandra Yard, however I don't know if the loco was ever built.

I guess that question is now answered!

Thanks for the construction tips for the early Crewe front end, I have a clearer idea of how to model this now.

Alexandra Yard was one the layouts that inspired my move to 7mm scale, so thank you.

At the time we were living in a small cottage, the only layout space available was in a 7' x 5' room with three doors opening into it. I didn't believe I could make a viable pre-grouping layout in such a space until I saw pictures of Alexandra Yard.

This laid the seeds for what became Three Shires Heads (now incorporated in my Taddington layout currently being built).

I've never seen Alexandra Yard in the flesh and I am sure I would be not alone in being interested in seeing more pictures if you have any you could be persuaded to post any.

Hi Argos.........thanks for your comments on Alex. Yard.......the layout lives on in Jim McGeown's (Connoisseur Models) workshop and forms the background for his models on his website. I have a few snaps of the layout......somewhere.......I'll see what I can find , it's been nearly 20 years since the layout was on the exhibition circuit......frightening .

If you ever get round to building a Crewe Goods/tank one thing to look out for is the clearance between the leading crank pin and the inside of the outer frame. On the real thing it's decidedly fag paper so on the model I increased the distance between the two outer frames by 1mm either side for clearance.

Keep up the good work on the Taddington branch

John

post-7062-0-66090400-1487430958.jpg

post-7062-0-32943700-1487430856_thumb.jpg

Argos......

Not exactly brilliant photos in fact pretty naff as were taken in the late nineties when I didn't have a digital camera then and to be honest I didn't take a lot of photos of Alexandra Yard.......but here 'tis for what it's

worth,

John

Edited by Crewe North
  • Like 17

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Argos.........thanks for your comments on Alex. Yard.......the layout lives on in Jim McGeown's (Connoisseur Models) workshop and forms the background for his models on his website. I have a few snaps of the layout......somewhere.......I'll see what I can find , it's been nearly 20 years since the layout was on the exhibition circuit......frightening .

If you ever get round to building a Crewe Goods/tank one thing to look out for is the clearance between the leading crank pin and the inside of the outer frame. On the real thing it's decidedly fag paper so on the model I increased the distance between the two outer frames by 1mm either side for clearance.

Keep up the good work on the Taddington branch

John

John, glad to hear that Alexander yard is still going strong. I was lucky enough to see the layout at the pre-grouping show they did at Chippenham a good few years ago.

Thank you John.

• RMweb Premium

I have a Standard Crewe Goods along with a square tank version on my to do list, (It will probably take me until 2030 to get around to it though, it's a long list........)

One aspect of the prospective build is troubling me is how to separate the chassis and the body given that the cylinders and motion mount onto the body.

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

I note you are intending to build an Allen 2_4_0t do you require a drawing for this loco? I had one built for me about 12 years ago. This was sold along with other models after a bike accident and I lost all interest in modelling. I am considering making a set of patterns in the future for pantograph milling this loco. I will be at the Leigh show in April demonstrating wagon building.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi airnimal,

A drawing would be great if you have one, and much appreciated.

I probably won't be able to get to Leigh as it clashes with a family birthday.

I would be happy to cover an postage and incidental expenses though.

Thanks

Argos.

• 3 weeks later...

post-7062-0-27244700-1490900654.jpg

post-7062-0-24580900-1490900671_thumb.jpg

Not exactly uncommon as I've seen a few Coal Tanks in this form at shows before . Mine started out as a NorthStar

Coal Tank kit ( now produced by Gladiator Models) to which I scratchbuilt the sloping front smokebox to depict the

loco as running c1886. The great benefit of modelling at this period of time is that you don't have to worry about lining out and end up with something a little bit different........

John

Edited by Crewe North
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Just come across this thread, and happen to have some old shots of Alexandra Yard, which I saw at a show in Chippenham in October 1997. I really liked it, in fact looking at them I'm going to put them on my thread too:post-26540-0-21846700-1491071476_thumb.jpgpost-26540-0-42776600-1491071515_thumb.jpgpost-26540-0-68369900-1491071539_thumb.jpg

You'll see in the middle of one of them is the loco you're on about.

I'm also putting a shot of a loco I've made with an Allan front end, in answer to Argos' question, Hope I'm not oversimplifying, as this is an On16.5 Highland outline type using a Hornby Desmond chassis, and you'll see the piston rod is missing, but you'll get the idea.

post-26540-0-50731300-1491071816_thumb.jpgpost-26540-0-86960400-1491071845_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 year later...

Just giving this thread a bump as I have got a lot of inspiration from Alexandra Yard and it might help others. Shows what can be done in a relatively small space in a larger scale. Fantastic modelling and love those few photos which have been shared here.  

• Like 2