Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

Dapol have announced in the latest edition of Model Rail the exclusive rights to produce models of the new DRS Class 68 loco.

When I went up to DRS and brokered the deal for the 68 and the wagon, it was between Dapol, Hornby and Bachmann ( 2 big names to go head to head with, and indeed Simon Kohler and I walked in together).

I knew I presented a great package to them as I was in the meeting well over an hour.

Subsequently I learned in April that Dapol would be given the nod, based on my presentation, and I'm very glad that it's now been officially announced.

I think the only thing that will have altered since I left might be my delivery dates as I quoted (taking into account the availability of finished external cad/cams of the real thing) 9 months to DRS for the launch models. Given Dapol's stated consolidation this proposal may well have been renegotiated.

I'm glad Dapol get a bite of the cherry with this one.

• Like 9

This is good news for n gauge and I hope that the 88 comes along quickly as I would like one of them as well.

I'm half glad that Bachmann/Farish haven't got this one as we would be waiting for years to get the N gauge one like we did with the 70.

Alistair

Edited by alibuchan

When I went up to DRS and brokered the deal for the 68 and the wagon, it was between Dapol, Hornby and Bachmann ( 2 big names to go head to head with, and indeed Simon Kohler and I walked in together).

I knew I presented a great package to them as I was in the meeting well over an hour.

Subsequently I learned in April that Dapol would be given the nod, based on my presentation, and I'm very glad that it's now been officially announced.

I think the only thing that will have altered since I left might be my delivery dates as I quoted (taking into account the availability of finished external cad/cams of the real thing) 9 months to DRS for the launch models. Given Dapol's stated consolidation this proposal may well have been renegotiated.

I'm glad Dapol get a bite of the cherry with this one.

Sounds good to me, but which wagon?

Look forward to getting one of these.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Edit: Just spotted the answer on DEMU Forum, also looking forward to them too. Now to wait for my copy of MR.

Edited by Wild Boar Fell

Announcing the rights to the design is one thing, announcing an actual model is another - have Dapol actually said this is to be in their 2014 catalogue?

I must confess slight disappointment here, I had been hoping Farish had got this given their recent run of DRS items. I will add add it to the 'maybe, one day' list I keep for whenever Dapol announce something I want, as that is usually a sure sign it will never appear...

David

There is no launch date mentioned in Model Rail for the Class 68, the wagon is the DRS Bogie 'Low-Liner' Wagon, very similar to as spine wagon.

And confirmed as 'goers' in OO and N !!!

You can be sure there will be plenty of running numbers available with it being Dapol if history is to go by (but no more than fifteen)..

There is a statement saying the Class 88 is a long way from being confirmed.

Edited by martin_l_jones

DRS ?  Im not up on the current TOCs but is this 68 exclusively a DRS machine then, I mean made by them, for them?

would have thought a model manufacturer would have to go to somebody like GM, Hitachi, Alstom etc who make the locos or trains but then go to an operator for rights to use the livery ie; DRS ......can somebody explain. thanks in advance.

Edited by ThaneofFife

ThaneofFife, on 29 Oct 2013 - 11:03, said:

DRS ? Im not up on the current TOCs but is this 68 exclusively a DRS machine then, I mean made by them, for them?

would have thought a model manufacturer would have to go to somebody like GM, Hitachi, Alstom etc who make the locos or trains but then go to an operator for rights to use the livery ie; DRS ......can somebody explain. thanks in advance.

DRS will have complete control over the commercial rights to the identity of the DRS Class 68. The manufacturer may have abdicated their rights to DRS in this instance. When/if another operator starts using them, then the DB (for sake of argument) Class 68 would be a separate point of negotiation, even if using the existing tooling.

DRS will have complete control over the commercial rights to the identity of the DRS Class 68. The manufacturer may have abdicated their rights to DRS in this instance. When/if another operator starts using them, then the DB (for sake of argument) Class 68 would be a separate point of negotiation, even if using the existing tooling.

If the 12 inch to the foot manufacturer doesn't require a commercial agreement to allow a model company to produce a product, then I'm surprised there isn't a market for unbranded, plain models - works in the U.S. - Model company would need less sales to cover the fixed costs which would include the agreement with (in this case) DRS

Looking forward to the N gauge version of one of these as judging by the "mock up" pictures it looks quite a tidy loco! Wonder if it will arrive before either Farish or Dapol release a bog standard DRS livery 66 for my intermodal???

Edited by MRDEEDIESEL

Dapol have announced in the latest edition of Model Rail the exclusive rights to produce models of the new DRS Class 68 loco.

I am very much excited by this.. Thank you for posting it.

I remember Simon Kohler telling me about his great interest in the loco/model. If Hornby were to do it t the full capabilities (i.e. super-detail) then they would have made a great model. I am little upset that Hornby hadn't gotten it but seeing how they are currently, I understand. I heard the previous management made a lot of mistakes and ofcourse it can't be sorted in a year or two.

Still now that Dapol is doing it I am very pleased. Looking forward to it eagerly. I'll probably go for an N gauge model.

I am very much excited by this.. Thank you for posting it.

I remember Simon Kohler telling me about his great interest in the loco/model. If Hornby were to do it t the full capabilities (i.e. super-detail) then they would have made a great model. I am little upset that Hornby hadn't gotten it but seeing how they are currently, I understand. I heard the previous management made a lot of mistakes and ofcourse it can't be sorted in a year or two.

Still now that Dapol is doing it I am very pleased. Looking forward to it eagerly. I'll probably go for an N gauge model.

On present form, if Dapol do it there's a fair chance it will appear round about when they say it will. If Hornby do it, it'll probably not appear until a year or more after the estimated delivery date!

DRS ? Im not up on the current TOCs but is this 68 exclusively a DRS machine then, I mean made by them, for them?

I would expect that it is for the use if the livery more than the Loco itself. As without the livery the model is pointless!

DRS have only ever allowed a sole transfer producer to do transfers, hence R3sprays and the one in Lincoln one before it. I think there is/was a payment to DRS's chosen charity involved in the deal in this instance. If I remember correctly. This could have some bearing on the situation.

Alistair

Edited by alibuchan

• RMweb Gold

DRS ?  Im not up on the current TOCs but is this 68 exclusively a DRS machine then, I mean made by them, for them?

Being built for DRS by Vossloh, derived fron their Euro-Light loco to suit British loading gauge (sometimes referred to as UK-Light). 

No other operator known to have ordered them so far. 

John