Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

DRS,

I think they are adding a sound option to any of them that would be added in chirk if they are requested, but don't quote me on it. It was something that I didn't clarify with the team as the 00 version wasn't what I was looking at!

Biffo,

It's a little hard to describe without the model making noise to reference it to!

There is more of a bassy grunt when they move off (this could be a speaker issue here) and the air release that seems to be there all the time on the model is barely recognisable whilst it is on the move. It's just a couple of small things that drew my attention. Other than that it sounded very good.

It could have been because it was running on DC rather than on DCC and that has skewed the effect. I'm not sure if anyone at the open day took any video of it to point it out.

Or it could be that they pass my ticket office, so frequently that I have become 'detail deaf' on them. Might have to get out to the end of the platform tonight and have a proper listen to them.

Alistair

Edited by alibuchan

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thank you for letting me know. I will have to buy it when I get around to it.

I think I am buying 68002, 68005, 68006 and 68007 when released in DRS and ScotRail livery. I have just bought 18 Dapol IOA wagons to run with these when they arrive and my other DRS and Freightliner traction.

• Like 1

In this months Rail Express magazine in the modelling section there are some pre-production sample photographs of the Dapol Vossloh Class 68.  Looks impressive and I might have to invest in a DRS livery 68 for my modern image layout!

They did not have Rail Express in Smiths when I went in yesterday. Could you confirm whether you mean there are photos of the livery samples, or the EP sample seen in this thread? I am looking very forward to seeing how the livery is captured, I understand the factory they are using has new generation of 'digital' ink jet printers to re-create the livery.

I did see in a copy of Railway Modeller (correct title?) a photo of an EP (grey - ie not livery sample) and the confirmation of the lighting, published. I am delighted that Dapol have made their innovation public, lighting is able to capture the halo effect of the lighting when idling.  

post-22366-0-45146700-1448364832.png

Edited by 159220
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

They did not have Rail Express in Smiths when I went in yesterday. Could you confirm whether you mean there are photos of the livery samples, or the EP sample seen in this thread?

No livery samples in the mag - just more pictures of the EP.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

...I am looking very forward to seeing how the livery is captured, I understand the factory they are using has new generation of 'digital' ink jet printers to re-create the livery...

That's interesting. First thought that crossed my mind on seeing the prototype pictures as part of the model announcement was what fun it was going to be getting a complex livery scheme to look right when applied over all that compound curvature on the ends; which were clearly designed by a minimum of three committees, all under the influence of something.

It will be impressive if all the livery schemes look equally good when rendered in model form. However good the enabling tech., the interpretation for small scale reproduction will require some artistry.

That's interesting. First thought that crossed my mind on seeing the prototype pictures as part of the model announcement was what fun it was going to be getting a complex livery scheme to look right when applied over all that compound curvature on the ends; which were clearly designed by a minimum of three committees, all under the influence of something.

It will be impressive if all the livery schemes look equally good when rendered in model form. However good the enabling tech., the interpretation for small scale reproduction will require some artistry.

Well, I'm thankful that none of those committees was one which was consulted in recent years. The 68 may not be the most handsome of designs, but I think it's nicer than the 66, 67 or (especially) the 70.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so nothing new for several months on this then. could they be having problems?

There was a running EP sample back in November, it's only January now.

Wind it in a bit please; it's obvious you have an agenda but let's keep it reasonable.

• RMweb Gold

Hi , Re running I had a play with it at the openday  and the sample whilst on dc ran really smoothly down to a real crawl and also had a good top speed, loco weighed quite a bit as well felt really solid like the Western and 22 - I am looking forward to this hitting the rails esp in N gauge ! 

Robert

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The EP photos look impressive. The detail looks as good as that on the recent Dapol 73 in OO, I just hope some of the production/QC issues are not repeated on this model (there are many well known issues with the 73 but the actual raw model is pretty darn good). I would prefer it to be delayed slightly and get it right rather than rush it to market and get it wrong.

I do wonder what tone of speed this loco has. I myself mentioned speed on the Dapol 73 thread, sure my 73 runs well at low speed (which I guess the majority will be concerned with) but my 73 only clocks a scale 67mph at very best at the top end (ie looks slow and doesn't go as fast as scale max speed for the prototype - noticeable on a large tail chaser layout). With the 68 being prototypically a faster beast I do hope the 68 has slightly higher gearing (but not excessively so!).

• Like 1