Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

mine has arrived and must be another lucky one with no glue showing and straight nameplates. put a spare Bachmann chip in  for some reason i use this as a tester in all new models. runs well on dcc and the slow running capability of this model is very good. is anyone else surprised at how Heavey the 68 is feels a lot heavier than any of my other models.

• RMweb Gold

Hi good to see more reports of good models - I was in Cheltenham models and other than 3 in the case all were off and going  -in 4 for one soul with sound - almost more than I earn in a month ! If you want one of the last get in quick is all I can say.

I am really looking forward to the slightly smaller but perfectly formed N  version.

Re any of the few returns you do need to be a member of the Dapol collectors club and be ready for a fun day in the Autumn at the openday - tours, build your own wagon, talks and traders, show you hows and layouts plus some sale items - not that many as some might have you believe.  Club details on the Dapol website . I suppose the only downside is you might get to see me with N gauge show you hows!

Robert     

• RMweb Premium

I've been able to have my first proper play with Valiant today. It is totally stunning and is by far and away the best model in my collection. It runs superb and everything abouth this model is just streets ahead of anything I've experienced before model wise.

post-22167-0-29307500-1487447438_thumb.jpg

post-22167-0-42205000-1487447463_thumb.jpg

post-22167-0-44439500-1487447529_thumb.jpg

Mike

Modelling Scottish Region 1980-1995 +1 from 2017 ;)

post-22167-0-30072400-1487447750_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Guest Midland Mole

is anyone else surprised at how Heavey the 68 is feels a lot heavier than any of my other models.

When we got them delivered, I was astounded by just how heavy the boxes they came in were (6 in each box). Then when I took the ones out to put in the display case I could feel just what weighty little beast they are! :D

I would imagine they have good traction as heavy as they are.

Alex

Just an observation - loads of people seem to have ordered a 68001 from DRS, but has anyone actually received one yet?

No not yet, I ordered mine on Tuesday and still nothing, has anyone ordered stuff from DRS shop before and how long does it usually take to receive their items.

Craig

• RMweb Premium

No not yet, I ordered mine on Tuesday and still nothing, has anyone ordered stuff from DRS shop before and how long does it usually take to receive their items.

Craig

I bought the ViTrains Northern Belle twin pack from them, and seem to recall it came the next day, or certainly within 48 hours. I also recall it didn't have any bubble wrap or packaging but just brown paper wrapped around the loco box. Thanfully the ViTrains box itself had a really good foam inlay.

Ordered 68 001 on Tuesday  night along with a DRS polo shirt. Not received them yet though.

Some images of mine with the iffy nameplates and glue showing.... can't say I'm overly happy, £123 is a lot of money to spend out when the glue is quite obvious. It's ruined a nice loco in my opinion

943D54C8-044E-4C93-A04D-5D9785BDD2A9_zps

029054F2-5677-47B0-AD58-F1F93A02F893_zps

DC9073D3-C086-4DDF-A0D9-54D9AC817BAA_zps

7D7546C7-319D-419A-8B51-86EE944A0D0E_zps

• Like 5

I bought the ViTrains Northern Belle twin pack from them, and seem to recall it came the next day, or certainly within 48 hours. I also recall it didn't have any bubble wrap or packaging but just brown paper wrapped around the loco box. Thanfully the ViTrains box itself had a really good foam inlay.

Ordered 68 001 on Tuesday night along with a DRS polo shirt. Not received them yet though.

Craig

Just an observation - loads of people seem to have ordered a 68001 from DRS, but has anyone actually received one yet?

Please see attached for info.post-18424-0-59354000-1487459017_thumb.png Edited by Sandwich&AshfordMR

I have ordered a DRS Sound one and received a DCC Ready one in Scotrail today ready for a sound chip which will be self fitted during the week. No issues with mine, all detailing parts present and both name plates dead straight. Extremely happy with it!

• Like 1

Craig

I've ordered the 68001 from DRS and was advised we will be getting them next week or from Monday onwards.

Maybe DRS have rejected them due to a livery error :jester:

Too be honest the livery error down one side of the loco is inexcusable, bad enough with badly fitted nameplates which I can live with.

The swoosh being printed too far to one side is very noticeable on the 68002 & 68005 and just not good enough from Dapol, I'm really hoping this has been done correctly on 68001 especially when it costs £200.

If it were Bachmann or Hornby they would be getting crucified for these errors.

• RMweb Gold

Too be honest the livery error down one side of the loco is inexcusable, bad enough with badly fitted nameplates which I can live with.

The swoosh being printed too far to one side is very noticeable on the 68002 & 68005 and just not good enough from Dapol, I'm really hoping this has been done correctly on 68001 especially when it costs £200.

If it were Bachmann or Hornby they would be getting crucified for these errors.

I would be very surprised if it is not wrong on 68001. They have obviously set up the printing machine wrongly for the swoosh on that side. If it was correct it would almost be worse, showing that not only were Dapol aware, but had fixed it for some models.

Roy

I see there is a seller on eBay selling the DRS versions for £169.99. The features listed in the description are interesting. What does 'Cast wheel in the appropriate colour to match livery' and 'Maintenance lighting under chassis' even mean?

• RMweb Gold

I see there is a seller on eBay selling the DRS versions for £169.99. The features listed in the description are interesting. What does 'Cast wheel in the appropriate colour to match livery' and 'Maintenance lighting under chassis' even mean?

Does It mean that they have no idea about what they are selling?

Roy

My Dapol Scotrail 68 arrived and I thought I had a lucky escape - name plates fitted straight and no glue marks.

All was looking great until I tried to get it running on DCC . The DC test run before fitting the decoder was fine. I fitted a Hatton's 21 pin decoder and the loco started running immediately without any controller input. Then I fitted a Bachmann decoder this time it responded to the controller and the loco ran for a couple of minutes before the decoder cut out due to overheating. The photo shows the problem with the wiring I had with my model . The red motor lead had been soldered to TRKR (track right ) and the thinner orange lead track pick up from the wheels had been soldered to ML (motor left) I assume the factory dont test it with a decoder fitted . Resoldering of the leads to their correct position cured the problem and restored correct DCC running. (Both decoders surprisingly survived the ordeal)

Although I did not expect to have to get my soldering iron out on a new model nevertheless I am very pleased with the detail and running qualities of the Dapol 68 and would consider buying another.

Ian

post-31300-0-41112700-1487489705_thumb.jpg

Have pre-ordered the DCC fitted 68005 from hattons (sometime ago). I am beginning to get worried after reading this thread that firstly hattons may not get their full allowance and my order will not be fulfilled as some rails customers have reported or that I will need to send back anyway due to Livery errors etc.

Will report back with developments

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Have pre-ordered the DCC fitted 68005 from hattons (sometime ago). I am beginning to get worried after reading this thread that firstly hattons may not get their full allowance and my order will not be fulfilled as some rails customers have reported or that I will need to send back anyway due to Livery errors etc.

Will report back with developments

Mark

My concern is similar, although with Scotrail. I had planned to order both as sound when they arrived and people were happy - we all know what happened there!

Well enough people seem to report that their Scotrail locos are ok that I decided to preorder one as DCC fitted. Now I worry that returns will leave that model short, so have decided to order the other now as straight DC and will convert myself. If it isn't right they will go back.

Roy

My Dapol Scotrail 68 arrived and I thought I had a lucky escape - name plates fitted straight and no glue marks.

All was looking great until I tried to get it running on DCC . The DC test run before fitting the decoder was fine. I fitted a Hatton's 21 pin decoder and the loco started running immediately without any controller input. Then I fitted a Bachmann decoder this time it responded to the controller and the loco ran for a couple of minutes before the decoder cut out due to overheating. The photo shows the problem with the wiring I had with my model . The red motor lead had been soldered to TRKR (track right ) and the thinner orange lead track pick up from the wheels had been soldered to ML (motor left) I assume the factory dont test it with a decoder fitted . Resoldering of the leads to their correct position cured the problem and restored correct DCC running. (Both decoders surprisingly survived the ordeal)

Although I did not expect to have to get my soldering iron out on a new model nevertheless I am very pleased with the detail and running qualities of the Dapol 68 and would consider buying another.

Ian

attachicon.gifdp68a.JPG

For those who only have a basic understanding of DCC, where should the wires have been soldered to for DCC running?

For those who only have a basic understanding of DCC, where should the wires have been soldered to for DCC running?

Basically the track power must not find its way to the motor without going through the DCC chip (on right input channels).  With the wires transposed as described, the track input is going straight to the motor and bypassing the DCC socket/chip.  This will not show up when the loco is run on DC as will have no impact and it will not be apparent the blanking plug is effectively bypassed but once chipped and put on DCC you have track power bypassing the chip (on one polarity) and going straight to the motor.  In over 100 mostly Bachmann locos (with smattering of Hornby, Heljan, Vitrains etc.) I have only experienced this once on a Bachmann Class 20 (Hunslet Barclay Ltd Ed) which responded similarly to how it sounds the 68 above did - no speed control - straight off in one direction - I was also lucky that both DCC chips I tried didn't experience any damage, not the loco.  For me this all happened on the test track which may have protected the chip to some degree?  I guess it can happen sometimes - hard one to pick-up beforehand though unless check no continuity between track and motor after blanking plate removed.

• RMweb Gold

Ian

I am very confused. Red should be track right and orange motor right, so the wiring at the PCB end was right as you describe it. If yours were wrong it was the other ends that need to be changed. You have now ended up with the current carrying (thicker) wire on the decoder / motor meaning that the thinner wire is used for power pickup - not ideal.

To answer Nobby (John)'s question:

red - track right

black - track Left

orange - motor right

grey - motor left.

But it sounds that the connections need to be checked both ends, not just the PCB end.

Roy

Roy