Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

Why do you always call eBay 'thiefbay'? If someone is willing to pay over the odds for something, that's not the fault of eBay nor the seller, so no thieving involved.

I have  to  agree  with  you  as  a  long  time  successful  eBay  user  both  buyer  and  seller  ( as  Stevesoller)  it  annoys  me  to  see  people  call what  is  a  legitimate  company  by  names  which  implies  they  are  not  fit  for  purpose.

I have  had  a  great  deal  of  success  with  eBay  in  the  pursuance  of  my  Model  Railway  Hobby,   without  its  existence  it  would  have  taken  much,  much  longer  to  achieve  the  results  I  have  strived  for!

Just  to  Clarify  that  40-something  quoted  above, is not  the  user of the mis-used  eBay  name  that  can be  seen in  Post #22

Edited by Stevelewis

• RMweb Premium

I know how you feel. I've spent hours and hours improving and respraying four rakes of Hornby Mk 3s, only for Oxford to come along with what looks like is going to be a much better version. They're even doing the ScotRail version, darn it!

Please could you post the links to the Oxford Chiltern Railways MK3s and ScotRail MK2s?

Thank you very much in advance.

Why do you always call eBay 'thiefbay'? If someone is willing to pay over the odds for something, that's not the fault of eBay nor the seller, so no thieving involved.

40-something & SteveLewis, as a regular user of eBay buying and selling it is said with tongue'n'cheek and not meant to be a serious slant of the service thus if it upsets you that much I'll refrain from calling it that anymore ok.

There is more to life everyone thus take a chill pill and just relax.

Edited by classy52

40-something & SteveLewis, as a regular user of eBay buying and selling it is said with tongue'n'cheek and not meant to be a serious slant of the service thus if it upsets you that much I'll refrain from calling it that anymore ok.

There is more to life everyone thus take a chill pill and just relax.

I don't  wish  to  take  any  pills  thank  you

Well i call it evilbay and will always call it that .......

it may be a legitimate company and i have used them since 2000 but they are by no means in line for winning any popularity competition. ....

They are typical of any company that has a tight grip over a market ( yes a market that WE create )

As always this is MY opinion and everyone else is entitled to there's.

Managed to bag Defiant from antics, thanks to Fluo66, think it was the last one they had. Thanks Fluo66 for the heads up!

Look forward to getting it next week.

You're welcome. I hope everything will be fine with your model. I wait for the DCC fitted ScotRail version. Hope the long delay is a good sign and Dapol is doing a QC this time.

• RMweb Gold

I am delighted to say my DRS model arrived from Modelrailwaysdirect during the week, having been checked before despatch. It is intact and the nameplates are as good as level with no glue. Very pleased, the model is outstanding. Well done Dapol. It runs also runs well.

• Like 2

The version of the handrail story I heard was that the handrails had to be modified to provide a stronger mounting point, removing the single point of failure if the bolt snapped. Looking at pictures seems to back this up, as delivered there's a single bolt at each, later, there's three. It looks like a plate has been welded on, adding an additional hole each side of the original one.

Whether this is Chiltern specific to begin with or not, it's now spread to most if not all locos. Safety cases vary by company, so it's possible it was the Chiltern safety case that picked this issue up, hence those were noticed handrail-less the most

Jo

I was searching for the reason why Chiltern Railways replaced 67s with 68s and found this article, which makes a fascinating read. I think it might have been written before a couple of 68s caught fire. :scared:

http://www.railmagazine.com/operations/franchises/a-different-class

The article states, “…we’ve changed the hand rails, because the originals proved to be a bit slippery in the wet. So we are in the process of having them photo-etched just to give them a bit more grip.”

The fixing bolts have been changed as well, obviously.

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone managed to get all the lighting functions working on a Zimo MX634D ?? if you have can you let me know how. Thanks.

Hi Anthony, I've posted how in the DCC sound forum post on the MX644D. In short, CV8=3 and switch the tiny motherboard switch.

I just wanted to give a bit of feedback on Chips for the DCC Ready loco's I have tried a few chips in my 68 and they all worked the loco fine however only one chip worked all the functions out of the box without any remapping and that was the :

ESU LokPilot V4.1 54615

this has the Halo lights set to F5 so if anyone out there is just looking for plug and play I can confirm this chip works in that way.

I did also try the Zimo MX634D this needs remapping to control the Halo lights.

There maybe other 6 function chips that work but I only had the Zimo and the ESU 6 function chips to hand I did also try Bachmann, Hornby, Gaugemaster & DCC Concepts 4 function decoders, these all operated the loco and directional lighting without any issues but not the Halo lighting.

Edited by Anthony566