Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

Latest DCC on board locos from batch two seem to be taking their time....

Anybody heard anything ?

Notice DCC supplies are out of the Class 68 decoders otherwise would have purchased a DCC ready model.....

Asked Dapol on their forum and sounds like the decoders (non & sound) were delayed so early January for delivery now. 

Interested to know if you have looked at the circuit board.  The enamelled wire has gone and diodes on the halo circuits have been replaced by transistors.  I have tried a Zimo 644D (without any modifications to the wiring) and it will not switch on the halos.  

Mike, I've recently purchased 68008 but only just fitted a decoder. I've managed to get an ESU Lokpilot Standard 53614 MTC21 and everything works with no modifications to the circuit board. F0 switches front head lights/front tail lights (with reversing) F1 switches on the rear head lights, F2 the rear tail lights, F5 the front halo lights and F6 the rear halo lights. The cab lights come on with F0/F1 and front headlights. Hope that helps you and others re the wiring and what works with this circuit board. Tony.

Mike, I've recently purchased 68008 but only just fitted a decoder. I've managed to get an ESU Lokpilot Standard 53614 MTC21 and everything works with no modifications to the circuit board. F0 switches front head lights/front tail lights (with reversing) F1 switches on the rear head lights, F2 the rear tail lights, F5 the front halo lights and F6 the rear halo lights. The cab lights come on with F0/F1 and front headlights. Hope that helps you and others re the wiring and what works with this circuit board. Tony.

Tony, thanks for your reply.  I think that the transistors are there to switch on the halos via logic outputs from the decoder, and that the pcb is wired for ESU decoders such as yours or the Loksound V4.  A Zimo 644D will only drive the halos if the transistors are bypassed as described by John Gymer of YouChoos.  Not sure I want to go this route; your experience is pointing me to ESU!

Anyone from Dapol care to comment!

Tony, thanks for your reply. I think that the transistors are there to switch on the halos via logic outputs from the decoder, and that the pcb is wired for ESU decoders such as yours or the Loksound V4. A Zimo 644D will only drive the halos if the transistors are bypassed as described by John Gymer of YouChoos. Not sure I want to go this route; your experience is pointing me to ESU!

Anyone from Dapol care to comment!

The ZIMO mx644D has standard function outputs for the 5th and 6th outputs, the mx644C is the alternative version with logic outputs for the 5th and 6th outputs that is required for the Dapol 68.

The Dapol instructions still recomend the incorrect mx644D as they did on the first releases.

The ZIMO mx644D has standard function outputs for the 5th and 6th outputs, the mx644C is the alternative version with logic outputs for the 5th and 6th outputs that is required for the Dapol 68.

The Dapol instructions still recomend the incorrect mx644D as they did on the first releases.

At least the MX644D can be converted to MX644C by a simple bit of CV programming. That's not an excuse for Dapol getting it wrong, but it does mean that their customers aren't wasting their money by buying Zimo MX644D decoders.

At least the MX644D can be converted to MX644C by a simple bit of CV programming. That's not an excuse for Dapol getting it wrong, but it does mean that their customers aren't wasting their money by buying Zimo MX644D decoders.

I don't think it can, the mx634 is the only one can be converted between C and D by writing to cv8.

Merry Christmas All, 

Received 68008 Avenger today from my lovely parents, looks really great with the brake discs and the crisp DRS branding, went to run it in on a DCC concepts rolling road and it seems quite noisy/rough running it in in either direction compered to my first batch 68's, any suggestions why this is or send it back? 

Only a very tiny corner of yellow rubbed off but think i can live with that.

Many thanks

Ali

Merry Christmas All, 

Received 68008 Avenger today from my lovely parents, looks really great with the brake discs and the crisp DRS branding, went to run it in on a DCC concepts rolling road and it seems quite noisy/rough running it in in either direction compered to my first batch 68's, any suggestions why this is or send it back? 

Only a very tiny corner of yellow rubbed off but think i can live with that.

Many thanks

Ali

Hi Ali, when I ordered my first 68, from the first batch, mine was also a noisy/rough runner (as well as missing buffer parts but that's another story..) and as I was slightly terrified about taking it apart, tampering and invalidating the warranty, I sent it to Dapol to be repaired as recommended by my retailer. It turned out that the motor was slightly unseated and simply seating it correctly solved the problem, an easy fix for Dapol! If you are a braver soul than me it may be worth just checking the motor seating as could be a quick fix. Hope you get your model working properly and let us know the results!

Edited by Heritage Tim

Grateful,if you could let me know how to program the MX644D to convert it to an MX644C

Thanks

Mike

Grateful,if you could let me know how to program the MX644D to convert it to an MX644C

Thanks

Mike

Markw may be correct as I was confusing the MX644 with the MX634.

With the MX634, programming 3 into CV8 gives the C, or 4 into CV8 gives the D version.

You could try this with the MX644 but it may not work. Apologies for any confusion I may have caused.

The TPE livery class 68 and Drs Plain blue class 68 will be out at the end of the year when i spoke to Dapol at

Warley this is what then said.

Which will then beg the question of who might do Mark 5As and Driving Trailers to go with the TPE 68!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Does anyone have pictures of the first and second batch chassis please. I would like to see if there are any differences between the two of them.

I recently sold a 68 on ebay and it has been returned as not working in DCC.  However, the condition of the chassis gives me some cause for concern - given that it was brand new and test run on DC and DCC only.  See picture

39710548642_c6d32c2685_k.jpgIMG_20180117_124702287_HDR by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

There is considerable marking on it, which I am convinced wasn't there when sold.

39741975321_64f90712fc_k.jpgIMG_20180117_124744437 by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

and this white residue, which suggests it is older than the one I had purchased!

39710552382_7c5086da29_k.jpgIMG_20180117_124650049 by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

Body and box are the originals (avenger), but I am not so sure re the chassis.

Thanks