Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

Really need some quality Chiltern numbers in 4mm so I can renumber the pair I have

I wouldn’t worry too much, 012 has been running around with at least one oversized 6 on it, 14 has had oversized nose end numbers, I think 015 has had missing numbers that I can think of off the top of my head.

I wouldn’t worry too much, 012 has been running around with at least one oversized 6 on it, 14 has had oversized nose end numbers, I think 015 has had missing numbers that I can think of off the top of my head.

Number one end six is the one you mention...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16645820@N06/25051100927/in/dateposted-public/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Having been very impressed with my first 68002 when it came out last year, I’ve now added 68003 Astute to the DRS fleet. It’s already an excellent model but Dapol have improved it further. The new wheels with the Discs represented are a nice feature and the modified PCB makes it easier to fit the base reflex speaker in. It could still have done with moving an extra 5mm along so the speaker wire had space to go round to the solder tabs easier once the 21 pin decoder is slotted on just so everything sits level. Once again fitted with Bifs superb sounds on an ESU V4 it captures the real thing perfectly. My model has a light weathering by my friends at Rainbow Railways.

Cheers

Mark

post-6863-0-85765400-1521106264_thumb.jpeg

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With the success of the class 68, do we think a third batch is on the cards for 2019? 

If Dapol do a third run in 2019 then they would have to include the DRS Plain & Transpennine liveries and perhaps drop the current ones as there are still a few of those unsold i.e. DRS Compass, ScotRail & Chiltern

If Dapol do a third run in 2019 then they would have to include the DRS Plain & Transpennine liveries and perhaps drop the current ones as there are still a few of those unsold i.e. DRS Compass, ScotRail & Chiltern

That does concern me slightly. I just picked up 68015 brand new on ebay via DB models for £94. They sold a few from first and second batch last weekend and all went for between £90 to £99. As you say there are plenty of the models still in stock at most retailers, but I cannot see many of these shifting unless the price is dropped.

With the success of the class 68, do we think a third batch is on the cards for 2019? 

Hope they do but maybe do some of the higher running numbers. DRS Plain & Transpennine would be of interest. Maybe they'll half the new release numbers and make up the difference with 88's - subject to them getting the rights to produce it of course.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Rails of Sheffield have a flash sale today for the Dapol Class 68 range.

Great prices so go check it out.

Thank you very much for posting and for making me aware of this. 

Does anyone know if the same DCC Decoders that come factory fitted in the OO Gauge 68s can be bought separately so that I can fit them into the models myself? 

If so does anyone know where from and the product number please? 

Thank you very much in advance. 

Does anyone know if the same DCC Decoders that come factory fitted in the OO Gauge 68s can be bought separately so that I can fit them into the models myself? 

Thank you very much in advance.      https://www.Dapol.co.uk/Imperium-1-21-Pin-%206-Function-Decoder

• RMweb Premium

Thank you very much in advance.      https://www.Dapol.co.uk/Imperium-1-21-Pin-%206-Function-Decoder

Thank you very much for the link. I really appreciate it. 

I may buy the DCC Decoders separately as opposed to buying the models DCC Fitted. 

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

Spoke to one of the Dapol guys on the DCC Concepts stand at DEMU over the weekend and asked about the 68's. By all accounts a new batch should be here by the end of the year, with an announcment to be made nearer their release. Was told that liveries are to include the "plain" DRS colours and TPE along with some more 'bog standard' DRS ones. The RRP cost is likely to be 5-10% more than the last batch as well. I asked about the price as I mentioned the resprays available in another room for £220+ and was told that theirs will be correct as new tooling has been made to alter the cab fronts so they don't have the Vossloh mark/logo.

Also enquired about a MK5 rake to go with the TPE loco, and was told that it's of interest but would ideally need a second livery/operator on the real thing to make a production run financially viable.

Hopefully info of use, wait and see what happens I guess!

Andy.

• 2 months later...

By happenstance I have come into possession of two models of Dapol 68008 Avenger (OO gauge). I would like to renumber one and was wondering if any members here can give feedback on ease (or not) of removing numbers on the DRS bodyshell?

Given the intricacies of the underlying body scheme, I am obviously wanting to avoid damage to the livery printing and thus a respray. Any ideas or views appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

Spoke to one of the Dapol guys on the DCC Concepts stand at DEMU over the weekend and asked about the 68's. By all accounts a new batch should be here by the end of the year, with an announcment to be made nearer their release. Was told that liveries are to include the "plain" DRS colours and TPE along with some more 'bog standard' DRS ones. The RRP cost is likely to be 5-10% more than the last batch as well. I asked about the price as I mentioned the resprays available in another room for £220+ and was told that theirs will be correct as new tooling has been made to alter the cab fronts so they don't have the Vossloh mark/logo.

Also enquired about a MK5 rake to go with the TPE loco, and was told that it's of interest but would ideally need a second livery/operator on the real thing to make a production run financially viable.

Hopefully info of use, wait and see what happens I guess!

Andy.

https://www.facebook.com/214563285228094/photos/a.219867508031005/2469523789732021/?type=3&theater

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for posting this. Very much looking forward to this batch. 

For anyone who can't see the link the third batch in OO Gauge will feature:

68004 in DRS livery

68019 in TPE livery

68026 in Basic livery

68034 in DRS livery

• RMweb Premium

I fear the wallet creaking open again for that TPE. It really does look something else. Just wondering how to square it with br blue

I still want to buy 003 and 008 in DRS from batch two and from batch three I would like 019 in TPE definitely and hopefully 004 and 034 in DRS. 

I do really like the Dapol 68s. 

• Like 1