Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

Is it just me or do the TPE colours look a little off? Cab front blue is matt not metallic and the fade to dark blue on the second stripe doesn't look right. Difficult to tell from pictures, but should the dark blue on the fade be the same as the other dark blue areas on the loco? Looks spookily like unvinyled sections of DRS blue

Jo

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Is it just me or do the TPE colours look a little off? Cab front blue is matt not metallic and the fade to dark blue on the second stripe doesn't look right. Difficult to tell from pictures, but should the dark blue on the fade be the same as the other dark blue areas on the loco? Looks spookily like unvinyled sections of DRS blue

Jo

The dark blue should be the same all over (except where it fades on the sides). Doesn't seem that the model has captured this

• RMweb Premium

Just picked up 68019 from my local model shop.

Will hopefully have it up and running by next weekend at BRM Doncaster...… (sound installation permitting)

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ours have just arrived into stock this morning and what cracking models they all are! Weighty, nicely applied livery, smooth drive-train - top marks from us. Attention to detail is awesome too, I particularly like the little 'no step' warning stickers on the top of the cab rooves.

Although I like the TPE my favourite is actually the DRS plain blue one! I finished up modelling modern image 5 years ago, if I had continued it would be straight on my wishlist.

Edited by Derails Models
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm trying to hold off until the end of the month when I go to Model Rail Scotland to see what i can buy on the day, but I am really struggling to resist a sound fitted version direct from Dapol since that might be hard to come by at the show since they haven't actually released them yet nor will they be going to other stockists.

I do really want a Late Service 'Avenger' but I can't find any with sound fitted.

Does Dapol just use the Legomanbiffo sound file? If so I could just buy it direct from him.

• Like 1

On 03/02/2019 at 13:28, newbryford said:

Just picked up 68019 from my local model shop.

Will hopefully have it up and running by next weekend at BRM Doncaster...… (sound installation permitting)

Cheers,

Mick

But two rivets are inthe wrong place and the the bogies are out by 0.000001mm or is it just me.........

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 05/02/2019 at 12:21, Derails Models said:

Ours have just arrived into stock this morning and what cracking models they all are! Weighty, nicely applied livery, smooth drive-train - top marks from us. Attention to detail is awesome too, I particularly like the little 'no step' warning stickers on the top of the cab rooves.

Although I like the TPE my favourite is actually the DRS plain blue one! I finished up modelling modern image 5 years ago, if I had continued it would be straight on my wishlist.

Having seen both at close range at the Doncaster Show just,I agree entirely.The plain DRS livery has a touch of design class and suits both prototype and model.The TPE livery just screams out for colour coordination which no doubt will be achieved when at some time in the future someone produces the full TPE set complete with DVT.Until then,this DRS version truly catches the eye.

By coincidence,ahead of our XC to Doncaster  this morning,as I parked the car at Burton station,the real thing in Scotrail livery pulled out of the station northbound at the head of a special in Riviera blue and white.Impressive but  a noisy brute.Interestingly,it was solo and not top and tailed.We passed it a little later held at Stretton for a succession of XC services to get ahead.There were crowds of enthusiasts waiting with digital equipment at the South end of Derby station for its appearance.Someone might know its destination?

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Inaccurate spelling

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

By coincidence,ahead of our XC to Doncaster  this morning,as I parked the car at Burton station,the real thing in Scotrail livery pulled out of the station northbound at the head of a special in Riviera blue and white.Impressive but  a noisy brute.Interestingly,it was solo and not top and tailed.We passed it a little later held at Stretton for a succession of XC services to get ahead.There were crowds of enthusiasts waiting with digital equipment at the South end of Derby station for its appearance.Someone might know its destination?

I'm not totally sure of it's destinations but it was 68007 'Valiant' on a 'Pathfinder Tours' rail tour (The Blue Boys Loco Fest apparently), I've seen a few people posting pictures on the various Facebook groups I'm on. Pretty interesting to see, and good for some modelling. It was actually at the head of a rake of Mk2s in Blue and Grey with no 'InterCity' branding on the sides, a mix of 1st class and Standard with a Buffet coach and a Mk1 Restaurant in the middle splitting the classes. There also looked to be a plain blue Mk2 brake coach in use? 

I actually bought a bunch of Hornby 1st class Blue and Greys when I saw that DB was using one of their 67s hauling them on a Rail Tour, which I plan to debrand and run on my layout as a Rail Tour, however I think Bachmann's Mk2s may be a better choice. Good to see the ScotRail 68s being used as well, gives me something to mix the rail tours up with.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Richy59 said:

I'm not totally sure of it's destinations but it was 68007 'Valiant' on a 'Pathfinder Tours' rail tour (The Blue Boys Loco Fest apparently), I've seen a few people posting pictures on the various Facebook groups I'm on. Pretty interesting to see, and good for some modelling. It was actually at the head of a rake of Mk2s in Blue and Grey with no 'InterCity' branding on the sides, a mix of 1st class and Standard with a Buffet coach and a Mk1 Restaurant in the middle splitting the classes. There also looked to be a plain blue Mk2 brake coach in use? 

68007 was working 1Z21 05:45 Newport-Chaddesden Sidings, Derby - first leg of the tour. Then tailed 1Z22 10:40 Chaddesden-Blackburn with 37218/409 leading, where all three were replaced by 57307 and 88003 for trip to Blackpool North. Set was Riviera's blue/grey rake with all blue Mk.2b generator/staff coach 17105.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the comprehensive answer, I had no idea who owned the Blue/Greys, just assumed they were old BR stock used for current rail tours.

Does anyone have any info about when Dapol will released their factory fitted sound locos? I have a pre-order for the plain blue and itching to get it after seeing everyone posting their DCC Ready or Fitted models.

Also is it usual for Dapol website pre-orders to not charge for the pre-order or take any payment details? I've never shopped direct with them before.

37 minutes ago, brittannia said:

I telephoned Dapol about the sound decoder, they said it should be available in 2 weeks at a cost of £95, they did say to send the Locomotive back to them to fit [at the price quoted]. plus postage costs

That's about £20 cheaper than buying it direct from DC Kits. Wonder why they're selling them cheaper? Especially if you say that quote includes fitting at the Dapol residence...

• RMweb Gold

Following the latest news today from Accurascale I suspect Dapol will be rushing to do another run of the Trans-Pennine version. It certainly makes an impressive looking model, having had a good look at one last Friday at Alton Model Centre. I am one of those who thinks that the real thing is a very impressive design and that Dapol have made a fine job of the model. I tend to think of the Trans-Pennine livery as being rather brave but it will certainly catch the eye of passengers on the route in the coming months.

all the best

Godfrey

• Agree 3

7 hours ago, Godfrey Glyn said:

I tend to think of the Trans-Pennine livery as being rather brave but it will certainly catch the eye of passengers on the route in the coming months.

all the best

Godfrey

This is the TPE livery that we are already used to https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/class185dmu/e8cfbfecf  and have been for a couple of years

Apart from the lack of yellow end the 68s are very similar. https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/class68tpe

Paul

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Decided I needed a TPE now that there are coaches incoming, went to pre-order the sound one on the Dapol website and all their latest models with sound are now 'Out of Stock' so glad I get my Plain Blue DRS one in last week. Guess I'll just have to buy a standard version from a retailer and look to fit sound down the line.