Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

• RMweb Premium

I have used Kadee 20s on all of my Class 68s. Also known as the extra long Kadees. As per Matt's comment above this only gives extra length on the couplings and doesn't change the height of the couplings themselves. The extra long Kadees that I use are good for people who have tighter corners on their layout to allow more of a free movement of the locos/wagons behind the Class 68. This avoids derailments. 

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Dapol have on their website drs bodies at a reasonable price, I have just taken delivery of one , can't fault the service and product, spare name plates, and beautifully packaged ,ideal for a body swap or a class 88 project!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, 47164 said:

Dapol have on their website drs bodies at a reasonable price, I have just taken delivery of one , can't fault the service and product, spare name plates, and beautifully packaged ,ideal for a body swap or a class 88 project!

Are they the misaligned DRS bodyshells?   It was hard to see from the photos on the Dapol website

3 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

Are they the misaligned DRS bodyshells?   It was hard to see from the photos on the Dapol website

I got a couple last month and they are the replacement bodies with correct printing and printed nameplates (separate plates are supplied too)

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, 47164 said:

The price is good, and I want to replace the incorrectly printed bodyshell on my 'Intrepid', but the postage to Australia where I am is actually dearer than the body on its own! I think I'll hold off.

Evening all,

Long worded question time I'm afraid for the people in the know, I've bought a replacement body from Dapol in the correct livery for 68005 and still have the original 68005 when it was first released. I've also have 68010 in Chiltern colours but this body has body damaged to it, so I've replaced the chiltern body with the new 68005 body to the chassis of 68010 but I've now noticed that the underneath (tanks and other gubbings) of 68010 is slightly different to the original 68005. Would I have to re-number the new 68005 with the chassis of 68010 to something else to keep it correct.

I hope that makes sense.

Mathew

3 hours ago, ews60002 said:

Long worded question time I'm afraid for the people in the know, I've bought a replacement body from Dapol in the correct livery for 68005 and still have the original 68005 when it was first released. I've also have 68010 in Chiltern colours but this body has body damaged to it, so I've replaced the chiltern body with the new 68005 body to the chassis of 68010 but I've now noticed that the underneath (tanks and other gubbings) of 68010 is slightly different to the original 68005. Would I have to re-number the new 68005 with the chassis of 68010 to something else to keep it correct.

Depends on your period really. The Dapol model of 68005 portrays the original smaller fuel tank that the first five had. These have since been modified with the larger size so nowadays 68005 and 68010 are the same.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the info on this.

i have a few 68’s as a result if travel encounters.

I decided to buy a couple, Not sure what i’ll do with the spare bodies yet, at that price it was worth putting a couple on the shelf, it gives me options.

Exactly as described above.

Edited by adb968008

18 hours ago, Simon Bendall said:

Depends on your period really. The Dapol model of 68005 portrays the original smaller fuel tank that the first five had. These have since been modified with the larger size so nowadays 68005 and 68010 are the same.

I don't really have a time period, so I could re-number it in the 6-9 range if they had the large fuel tanks as delivered.

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Kaput said:

I believe 68010 is also fitted with the AAR multiple working equipment which 68005 isn't. 68008 and 68009 are the only DRS Compass liveried ones with the AAR kit I think.

Correct.

The only visible addition is an extra orange jumper socket on the bufferbeam

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Danny

A google search reveals that Olivias have 2 in stock.

I know what some on here think of Olivias, but I've only had good service from them. I had to return a faulty Bachmann class 150, which they replaced no problems.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Hi all, 

I wonder if anyone could help me please? I would like to buy a new TPE 68019 in OO Gauge, either DCC Ready or DCC Fitted. Does anyone know of any retailers that have any left, ideally with a website so that I can buy it online?

Thank you very much in advance. 

Or if like me you don't want to use Olivias (and I live 10 minutes from the shop) - https://www.rainbowrailways.co.uk/Dapol-class-class-68019-transpennine-express-p-1571.html

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, KDG said:

Hi Danny

A google search reveals that Olivias have 2 in stock.

I know what some on here think of Olivias, but I've only had good service from them. I had to return a faulty Bachmann class 150, which they replaced no problems.

19 hours ago, 37081LochLong said:

Or if like me you don't want to use Olivias (and I live 10 minutes from the shop) - https://www.rainbowrailways.co.uk/Dapol-class-class-68019-transpennine-express-p-1571.html

18 hours ago, amarr40 said:

I was in Grimy Times in Warrington on Thursday afternoon, they have a few TPE 68s left with great customer service too!

Thank you for the replies everyone. I really appreciate it. 

Upon checking prices I decided to buy from Grimy Times in Warrington. I spoke to Steve last night by email and he informed me that he had two left and that he was offering 10% discount off this particular model over the coming days so I have just phoned up and placed my order and I have saved around £13. So the model at the discounted price was around £120. The saving on the model paid for the next day postage so I should receive it on Thursday, after been posted tomorrow. I spoke to Alan on the phone when placing my order and he was very helpful. Fantastic service and I will be buying from them again. 

Also worth a mention is that bought 68004 & 68034 yesterday from Rails at the reduced price of £124.50 each. I have also noticed that Kernow Model Rail Centre have 68026 in DRS Basic livery for £119.99. I haven't bought 68026 myself because I don't need this one, but if you want it their is a discount of £12 or so from the usual price. 

Also worth a mention is that I have no connection with any of the three shops, I'm just a happy customer. 

As far as I know Steve at Grimy Times has x1 TPE 68019 model left available as a DCC Ready version. So if anyone would like one and with a discount then you can get one from their. 

Thank you for all of the help and I hope that this comment is useful to others. 

Can't wait to receive 68019 on Thursday. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 37081LochLong said:

That's a much better price :) I hope you like it (I'm sure you will, i'm really happy with mine)

I was shocked to get one so cheap. I thought I was going to have to pay a lot more. Even more shocked that I got one with 10% off. 

The TPE livery looks very impressive from the photos I have seen. Can't wait to see it for real on Thursday. I hope that Dapol produce more 68s in TPE livery. With the newly announced MK5s by Accurascale I'm sure that they could justify producing at least two or three more. After all they have produced three Chiltern 68s and the MK3s aren't even available in ready to run form at the moment. Thanks again. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Subtle variations in 68 stripes photographed at York yesterday.

68029 on left, 68021 on right.

682.jpg.55b82aa9c3f0a2997bba70b17a074f5e.jpg

The middle light blue section is angled slightly shallower on 68021, first noticed by this variation in where the upper dark blue stripe finishes.

681.jpg.c1aaa0e06638b1daf67648756d37f439.jpg

Looking at these next two, you can see where the dark blue stripe crosses the lower corner of the door - slightly different locations.

I know it's only a minor point and I wouldn't have noticed apart from looking at my original closeup of the coupling shot above.

683.jpg.f555e15317a622cbdbdcddb2b71e88be.jpg684.jpg.5f69a4dfcf33eca7f3adb6413ceaeb1c.jpg

And then looking at the first pic again, the lower section under the body is a distinctly different shade of blue. More visible to the naked eye than in the photo.

I guess it's to do with what the initial livery was as one of them was unbranded and the other wasn't.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 23/04/2019 at 11:03, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Thank you for the replies everyone. I really appreciate it. 

Upon checking prices I decided to buy from Grimy Times in Warrington. I spoke to Steve last night by email and he informed me that he had two left and that he was offering 10% discount off this particular model over the coming days so I have just phoned up and placed my order and I have saved around £13. So the model at the discounted price was around £120. The saving on the model paid for the next day postage so I should receive it on Thursday, after been posted tomorrow. I spoke to Alan on the phone when placing my order and he was very helpful. Fantastic service and I will be buying from them again. 

Also worth a mention is that bought 68004 & 68034 yesterday from Rails at the reduced price of £124.50 each. I have also noticed that Kernow Model Rail Centre have 68026 in DRS Basic livery for £119.99. I haven't bought 68026 myself because I don't need this one, but if you want it their is a discount of £12 or so from the usual price. 

Also worth a mention is that I have no connection with any of the three shops, I'm just a happy customer. 

As far as I know Steve at Grimy Times has x1 TPE 68019 model left available as a DCC Ready version. So if anyone would like one and with a discount then you can get one from their. 

Thank you for all of the help and I hope that this comment is useful to others. 

Can't wait to receive 68019 on Thursday. 

Glad you got a good deal and hope you like it.  Don't write off the plain drs blue.  I went to derails for the tpe and came out with the plain blue (as well). Something about that shade of blue that makes for a really classy model.  Think Duchess of Sussex Vs Duchess of Cambridge!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Ouroborus said:

Glad you got a good deal and hope you like it.  Don't write off the plain drs blue.  I went to derails for the tpe and came out with the plain blue (as well). Something about that shade of blue that makes for a really classy model.  Think Duchess of Sussex Vs Duchess of Cambridge!

Have to say I was shocked I got one at all because I did leave it a bit late. 026 has been tempting me. I agree, the blue does look very smart and the basic livery/logo on the bodyside alike what the 66s have. The only reason why I haven't bought it yet is because it has been re-vinyled into TPE livery so the livery is now obsolete. Although as you say the livery is very smart and it was worn recently on a few of the 68s, so their is no reason why I can't overlook it. I might wait and see if any shops reduce them further to sell them off. 

• Agree 2

• 1 month later...

Anyone got any got ideas for solving the drooping coupler issue on these. My 68 derails because the coupling bar snags over the rail head on curves and points. Its a great model in every way except for this nagging issue. 

2 hours ago, Fitzer said:

Anyone got any got ideas for solving the drooping coupler issue on these. My 68 derails because the coupling bar snags over the rail head on curves and points. Its a great model in every way except for this nagging issue. 

Some pictures would help greatly. It could be a case of gently bending (maybe with heating) the plastic if this is the issue or some plasticard packing may help. If it’s new you could send it back? I use a piece of wire as a coupling bar on my locos which eradicates the issue, but I’m sure it can be solved whilst maintaining the coupling mechanism.

Thanks,

Jack.